SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got a good deal on an old classic .22
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a good deal on an old classic .22 Login/Join 
Member!
posted
$75 for a 1956 or 1957 Colt Huntsman with two original mags (plus Leather Holster, leather belt with 22 bullet loops, and a leather mag pouch; no box or papers though)! Will have to clean up the leather though as there were still cartridges in the belt loops in there for so many years they rotted green and were falling apart (the bullets). Supposedly been sitting for over 19 years in the closet. Original oils so dried up I had to use carb cleaner and lots of plastic brush scrubbing just to get the dried chunks out of the crevices and interior.

Had a tiny bit of surface rust in the slide serrations, and worn bluing on sides of barrel but otherwise great condition including bore. The slide truly feels like it rides on oiled glass. Pretty amazing how this old pistol makes every other slide on every other pistol I have feel like crap compared to how this thing glides. Gonna be a shooter as I'm not a collector.

Haven't had a chance to actually shoot it yet, but if the cleaned out action and shiny bore is any indication, it should shoot very nice. These guns have a awesome reputation for accuracy and reliability as even the lower end Woodsman models like the Huntsman were all hand made and fitted (which is why they stopped making them as it was too expensive). I do like my Browning Buckmark, but this old Colt oozes quality, even though it was the cheaper version in the Woodsman lineup. For $75, it was a absolute no brainer purchase!

BTW: Any tip to clean the green out of the leather bullet loops?

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Damn! $75?? You stole it!

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Deal of the week.

Please post pics after you clean it up.

Oh yeah, a range report is also in order.

Excellent score!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Nice! Love deals like that. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Fantastic score! Congratulations.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
Great find! Good on you to bring it back to health.

I have one that my Dad bought back in the day. It stayed in his dresser until I found it as a child.

The only issue that I have had with it is that the firing pin hits light sometimes and there is a failure to fire.

I have the original box and there is just a slight bit of holster wear at the end of the barrel from a cheap nylon holster that I had used before I new better.

Since I received it from my Dad, I love the gun. I will pass it down to one of my sons.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Nice find!

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That’s a dandy. You got the whole outfit for about the price of the two extra magazines.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Any tip to clean the green out of the leather bullet loops?”

I’d try saddle soap. And a soft brush, like an old toothbrush. It may take a couple of “lather, rinse, repeat” cycles. Try not to get the leather soaking wet. Let it dry outside in the sun if possible.

Nickel plated cartridges (like CCI Stingers) hold up a little better in cartridge loops, but I really don’t think its a good idea to store ammo in leather loops over the long term.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Great pistol deal...
Did you try and talk him down from $75.00?

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Great pistol deal...

Actually, it was a work buddy, so I gave him an extra $25 over the $50 he was asking for. Long story short, it was a "wife demands it's riddance NOW" story..

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SuhlShooter:
Great find! Good on you to bring it back to health.

I have one that my Dad bought back in the day. It stayed in his dresser until I found it as a child.

The only issue that I have had with it is that the firing pin hits light sometimes and there is a failure to fire.

I have the original box and there is just a slight bit of holster wear at the end of the barrel from a cheap nylon holster that I had used before I new better.

Since I received it from my Dad, I love the gun. I will pass it down to one of my sons.

You can get a new spring kit (recoil and hammer spring to fix the light strikes) for $8 from Wolff springs.

posted Hide Post
That is the SF buy of the year, so far, anyway!
Classic pistol.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Great pistol deal...

Actually, it was a work buddy, so I gave him an extra $25 over the $50 he was asking for. Long story short, it was a "wife demands it's riddance NOW" story..

Glad I’m not married to a moron.
Wink

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Good score- it’s worth more than $75 for the parts if it won’t go bang.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Fantastic find!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Kind of amazing how similar my High Standard is to it.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Congrats - you flat out stole that. Excellent pistol worth a lot more. Your friends wife is a dipshit. You can thank him for taking ones like that out of the pool, so the rest of us don't have to waste our time at some point.

Get it on paper, knocking over cans or busting small game and report back!

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Oh man, the ol' "I don't want the guns in my house anymore, just get them gone" routine. Ouch.

Your purchase tops this, handily, but it's relevant to the topic. I had a customer once who mentioned she had rescued her grandfather from an abusive elderly care situation, but with him came "a bunch of guns." She was a young single mother and had never been around them and was terrified that her kids would get into them. I offered to help her evaluate them and sell them online. She agreed.

She came back the next day with a little wicker laundry basket and a rolled up carpet. In the carpet was a Bubba'd Enfield No4 and in the basket were a half dozen pistols. Most of them were pot metal junk Saturday night specials ( Lorcin, FIE, a few others I've never heard of), but one of them was a beater 2" roundbutt Smith 10-5 with a trigger as buttery smooth as my Python without the DA stacking. She said "I decided I just want to be done with them. You can have them." I wanted to get her to go to an ATM with me so I could at least give her a couple hundred bucks and she flat refused. Then she said "Merry Christmas. Accept the gift!" It was a few weeks before Christmas, so I did. The pot metal junkers now no longer exist (amazing what you can do with a belt sander), the Enfield got turned into most of a P229, and the Smith... I really wish I hadn't sold. Frown

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post