SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    (UPDATED in original post) Which would you select: P10-C, PPQ M2 or VP9?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(UPDATED in original post) Which would you select: P10-C, PPQ M2 or VP9? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
UPDATE: I went with the VP9 LE edition in grey. I got a deal that was too good to pass up. I also really liked the trigger and how the gun feels. Different but similar to the PPQ M2.

Father's Day is coming and I'm looking for a compact 9mm. While I have a West German P228, SIG broke it when it was back for an AEP and SRT service (long story) and my Glock 19 Gen 3 had the wrong night sights put on it (shorter story), I don't have a functional compact 9mm right now. So, from the listed three pistols, what would you all suggest and why (and yes, I'm using Father's Day as the excuse to buy another compact 9mm)?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a VP9 for Father's Day, so you can guess what my suggestion will be Big Grin I pick it up today and can't wait!

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan wasson 715, pm9

Vp9

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had all three of the pistols you listed, plus most of the other ones listed. My PPQ was not the M2 version, but the paddle mag release version. In the following order here are *my* **compact** striker fired sized pistol preferences. The CZ P-10c just checks more boxes for me than all the other ones. But they are all fine pistols IMHO.

1. CZ P-10C
2. Sig P -320C
3. Glock Gen 4 G19
4. PPQ

Full sized grip length.

CZ P-10F(when available),Sig 320 full size or VP9
Glock Gen 4 G17 or maybe the new Beretta APX

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Walther, best ergos and trigger IMHO of the ones listed.

I have had and sold the Sig P320 Compact, VP9, both were good, nice triggers, but the Walther is better than both.

Still have a G19 as well, however out the box the Walther has a better fit and trigger.

Don't know why I keep trying to replace it with other options...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
I have had all three of the pistols you listed, plus most of the other ones listed. My PPQ was not the M2 version, but the paddle mag release version. In the following order here are *my* **compact** striker fired sized pistol preferences. The CZ P-10c just checks more boxes for me than all the other ones. But they are all fine pistols IMHO.

1. CZ P-10C
2. Sig P -320C
3. Glock Gen 4 G19
4. PPQ

Full sized grip length.

APX

Would you mind explaining your ranking? I guess I should have listed the SIG P320 but SIG is on my naughy list right now.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I guess, like an earlier "pocket pistol" thread, we all have different ideas of what constitutes "compact." I don't know what a P10-C is, but, I regard neither the PPQ M2 9mm nor the VP9 as "compact" pistols.

"Compact," to me, is PPS M2, Shield, LC9S, etc.

There have been "issues" with Walther's latest round of striker-fired pistols, which is why I have a P320, rather than a PPQ M2 45. Check the Walther Forums, particularly the PPS and PPQ sections, before going that way.

Of the ones you listed, I think I'd go with the VP9, but, that's based only on fondling one at a fun store.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by argolfer:
I'm getting a VP9 for Father's Day, so you can guess what my suggestion will be Big Grin I pick it up today and can't wait!

Did you consider the Military Arms Channel's gauntlet test failure before you went with the VP9? I get that MAC's testing is not really scientific but other pistols do perform substantially better which makes me wonder if there is merit to the test (or does the VP9 just comes with tighter tolerances).

posted Hide Post
1~ FN 509
2~ Sig X-Carry P320
3~ Walther PPQ or P99
4~ G19/G4
5~ Steyr M9-A1
6- Beretta APX
7- CZ-P10c

Posts: 248 | Location: FL | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a P320c? I have one and a VP9. Both are fine choices but if I had to keep only one I'd choose the Sig.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pick the one that fits you best and the has the best reliability record. My fit test involves my natural grip holding the gun at a low ready position and looking away. I then raise the gun to a ready position and look over the sights. If the front sight is below or above the rear sight, it is not a good fit. Avoid the tendency to compensate. Sights should be level. With guns with different backstraps or grip pieces, you may have to try different grip mods.

For me, the 320 is best of the guns mentioned. It may not be for you. Although I do have a PPQ M2.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
PPQ

I'd like to try a P10-C and if I like it maybe buy one down the road. The striker pickings are quite good these days...any of those three would be fine. I'm one of those few who don't like the VP trigger/trough.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I own the PPQ and VP9 and have tried the P10-C.

My choices are from selection of more recent SF offerings.

1- PPQ M1 by just a little bit over VP9 and love them both.
2- VP9 - $450 at Grabagun right now. A steal at that price.
3- P320C - really impressed shooting one.
4- M&P 2.0
5- P10-C. Meh. I like my Gen 2 Glock 19 better than the CZ. If you want a CZ compact look hard at the PCR.

IMO it would make sense to wait on the P10-C for a while to see how reliability shakes out. A guy on another forum had to send his back already for problems and CZ told him he should get it back within a month. I have also seen a surprising lot of them for sale used and not at high prices either. Many complaints on magazine release and comments that trigger is meh on those that are being sold at gun stores and not pre production units. Hickok45 video on P-10C was luke warm at best while he loved the P320C in his April 2017 video FWIW.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of argolfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:

Did you consider the Military Arms Channel's gauntlet test failure before you went with the VP9? I get that MAC's testing is not really scientific but other pistols do perform substantially better which makes me wonder if there is merit to the test (or does the VP9 just comes with tighter tolerances).

I had seen that in the past and it went through my mind, but I won't ever put mine through that. I doubt a 1911 would survive that test, but plenty of guys carry those. That's the only "negative" I have found on the VP9 though.

I wanted one with a threaded barrel to shoot suppressed and wanted one in FDE. Since that didn't exist, I ordered the FDE one (I didn't like the "VP9 Tactical" engraved on the tactical version anyway) and ordered a threaded barrel.

I've wanted a VP9 and a P320 for a while now. I'll probably get the P320 X5 next.

Posts: 4345 | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:

Yes his testing is not close to scientific (a couple boxes cheap ammo, garden hose, and some buckets of sand/dirt LOL) and at best for "entertainment" value. Oddly there have been several other videos of VP9 posted doing extremely well in water and sand/water. HK customer support supposedly told an HK owner who asked about the VP9 that they know of a couple VP9s with 65,000 plus rounds through them with no problems. On the HK forum it is very rare to read of a valid problem with a VP9 with well over 100,000 sold now. Typically problems reported are new owners who use crap ammo on their VP9 out of the box and often not cleaning and lubing it either LOL.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone looking to try a CZ P-10c, this dealer has them in stock. I am not affiliated with them.

https://www.deguns.net/cz-p10-...03915203-p/91520.htm

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I think I would try the P10. Then the VP9 if that didn't work out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P10 as that's what I am going to be buying in the next few weeks

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Grabagun is pushing the VP9 for $449 right now.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I like the PPQ or P99as.
No experience with the others on your list.
But they really aren't compact.
PPS or G26 fill that category.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post