SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How I spent my Saturday morning. Or more simply, new guns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How I spent my Saturday morning. Or more simply, new guns Login/Join 
posted
Good morning SF. I bought my spare 225A1 from Q this week. Very smooth transaction, fair price, all good. The backstory is that I found a 225A1 cheap, 730 shipped, and ordered it. The girlfriend of the shop owner is very nice and I let her handle it. She wears rings. Ouch. Put a tiny blemish in the front strap checkering. Drove me nuts but I was the one that handed it to her so my bad. So I really wanted to get a spare that didn't have an idiot mark (me).

Love this gun though. I love the old school 225 but this gun is better. If you take away the price that is. But better if price is no object or you get it reasonably. Well Q was selling his gently used 225A1 that he swapped out the grips from a 225A1 Carry model (model with the white racing stripes and sig emblem emblazoned on top of slide. Cool grips ugly gun). He basically made the perfect 225A1. These grips are slightly fuller and sharp checkering. They don't move in your hand at all.

So I got the gun and put the new grips on my old 225A1 that I had previously put Trijicon HD's on, plus the aforementioned nick. Perfect beater gun now. I have a pristine spare (sons gun) and a gun that already has the fortune to have its first blemish so the next one and kydex wear doesn't sting so much.

Ok, also a vanilla G43 and a 3" Chiefs Special. S&W 36-2. I have ordered some new stock grips and a BK grips resin copy of Tyler T grips. This thing is cool. It will be a lot of fun I think.

Anyway enough of my blathering all you guys want anyway is pics so here they are.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Congrats! Looks like the next few Saturdays will be busy at the range for you.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have the other parts of your gun from him. Carry model with the standard grips. How funny.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got any more pics of that real nice 3" 36-2? It's one of my grail guns.

A range officer at a place I used to shoot at had one in .22LR! Talk about rare!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha ha. Are guns are like brothers then. Did you not like the original grips? I love them but I might use some judicious sandpaper just to knock the tips down a bit. They are sharp. I will probably shoot them first but I suspect just a little less sharp might be the ticket.

I love that 36. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have the 3 inch barrel. It has a few marks but pretty good shape overall. The grips have the wrong length screw and are a little beat up hence the 28 dollar stock replacements and T grip coming. It really reminds me of an old school PI. Should be a fun little gun.

I will get some pics up soon.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Great guns! That Model 36 3" has a special place for me-it was our duty gun in Air Force OSI during the 70's, though our 36's had banana grips. Enjoy your pistols

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My children! My children! Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26345 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 36 with the standard 1-7/8" barrel, and for me the stock factory grips worked just fine. They did have some minor sharp edges, if I remember correctly, but the only reason it bothered me is that I knew the grips on earlier 36's were better fitted at the factory. I never needed the Tyler T-Grip.

Mine shot so well that I could get about 2-1/2" groups at 75 feet if I did my part. Great trigger, both single- and double-action. I actually preferred shooting the 36 with full-house loads, rather than my 66 2-1/2" round-butt with the same loads.

When I was going through some financial tough times some years back I had to choose between the 36 and the 66, and decided to keep the .357mag over the .38spl. I still have the 66, and still miss the 36.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Ha ha. Are guns are like brothers then. Did you not like the original grips? I love them but I might use some judicious sandpaper just to knock the tips down a bit. They are sharp. I will probably shoot them first but I suspect just a little less sharp might be the ticket.

I love that 36. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have the 3 inch barrel. It has a few marks but pretty good shape overall. The grips have the wrong length screw and are a little beat up hence the 28 dollar stock replacements and T grip coming. It really reminds me of an old school PI. Should be a fun little gun.

I will get some pics up soon.

You'll have to ask him why he switched them around. All I know is I like to combination and you like the combination so we both won!

I actually like the all black ones much better and would not have bought the Carry if it had the original grips. He made perfect matches for the both of us.

ETA, don't hit it with the sandpaper for a few range trips/cleanings. Mine either got less aggressive or I got more used to it. Either way I think it's perfect now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post