SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone Have A Ruger LC9 Here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Have A Ruger LC9 Here? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I recently picked up a used Ruger LC9 (1st gen, hammer fired model) and am looking forward to shooting it. I like the balance and how it feels in my hand and most importantly to me, the pocket-ability of it as I have abandoned any kind of belt/OWB/IWB carry for 100% pocket carry of my CCW weapons.

It's basically a clone of Kel-Tec's PF-9 with better fit and finish, sights etc. It joins my KT P-32 in carry rotation and was thinking this will be a fall/winter carry and the P-32 will be a spring/summer carry.

Anyone have the LC9? What do you think of it? What do you put through it for ammo?

Here is the LC9 and PF-9 side by side:

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have one. It's not really a clone of the PF9 like the LCP is to the P380. It's similar in some ways, but a lot better,

Mine is the old style hammer fired. A lot of people that only shoot striker fired guns cried about that trigger, but it's fine. Mine has smoothed out with some shooting. The only issue you may have is that it has a false reset midway through. If you are used to riding the link and shooting from reset it may be a problem, but if you shoot DA revolvers you will not notice.

Mine has been 100% reliable, all kinds of ammo. It works well with all weights and pressure HST. I use the 147 standard pressure. Recoil can be a bit much with +P.

I usually carry a G26 or G43 in a IWB holster, but if I have to pocket carry, I carry the LC9.

Mine is horrifically ugly with a slide worn down to the shiny in most spots. the grip is beat up a bit and grungy, The internals are clean and pristine though.

I have found that a light coating of slide glide light grease on the rails and slide cuts keeps wear down. The rails are aluminum so i have seen some pretty good wear on them on others if not lubed properly.

My wife loved it, but was too snappy to shoot a lot. I just got her an LC380 which is exactly the same except for caliber. SHe loves it and shoots it really well even with the long DA trigger.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
One thing i forgot to tell you. The safety is removable and it works well without it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an LC9 and carried it a great deal. When I got my Sig p938 the LC9 was remanded to reserve duty. In a moment of foolishness, I traded the LC9 for an LC9s because I thought the trigger was so much better (and it is) and I hated that stupid loaded chamber indicator on the LC9 which the s doesn't have, but in reality I liked the manual of arms better on the LC9. I carried the LC9 with safety off because of the long trigger pull which being a long time revolver guy I was used to and liked. I do pocket carry the LC9s frequently but lately even my 938 plays second string next to my sig 238.......absolutely love that gun.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
The long trigger pull always through me off.

I have no issue with long, hard trigger pulls. I like DAO and revolvers and actually converted a Sig Pro to DAO from DA/SA.

My P-32 has a long, firm trigger pull too and I shoot that very well.

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had my LC9s pro for several years.
Very accurate and reliable little handgun..
I sometimes carry mine in my pocket. it is a bit heavy for that. Wants to pull my pants down. Have to cinch my trouser belt very tight when I do a pocket carry with it..

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 37 | Location: South FL. | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, but I've shot a few. They all were the (s) variants, but they all seemed to shoot just fine.

I would venture to say the current production EC9s is probably the best value on the carry market today. For incredibly low bucks you get a major name brand manufacturer, reliable single stack 9mm function, and even a pretty decent trigger.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but the L,E,C9,s series guns cover a lot of bases for a lot of people.

Some people simply cannot invest $5-600 in a defensive gun. They either can't afford it, or don't prioritize gun ownership like I do. Either way, I like that Ruger has found a way to give those people a big name option outside of the sometimes iffy KelTec and the often iffy Taurus. (Although the Millennium G2 is showing some promise).

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LC runs well with a Pachmayr sleeve (for me). DAO. LC9s has a pull that is waaaaaaaaaay too light for my liking. Being that I was raised on wheelers, I prefer DAO's almost exclusively, now. Ha... (I'd love to see Ruger make the LC format in a 22LR.) It's all in the staging, in my opinion. From one LC9 to another (DAO's) they shoot just a little different. Could be round-count... again, like having a 9-shot (with extended mag) revolver. Really like it.

String

Posts: 107 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I had the hammer fired LC9 many years ago. 100% reliable but I hated the trigger. Ended up ditching it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Shot the LC9 several times; every time I found myself disliking the too deep trigger break and the very noticeable intermediate 'click' during the reset travel. Training myself to ignore that 'click that's not the reset' feedback seemed too much trouble when my primary EDC Glocks don't have any sort of false feedback like that.

The trigger of the striker LC9 variants breaks earlier, making it easier for faster follow up shots that actually find the target. And it's far more honest in its 'talking'. Its grip still feels too narrow in hand for a confident, positive purchase on the gun, though I've gotten somewhat used to it on my LC9S. But a bit more girth would've made it easier.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stringdriver:
LC runs well with a Pachmayr sleeve (for me). DAO. LC9s has a pull that is waaaaaaaaaay too light for my liking. Being that I was raised on wheelers, I prefer DAO's almost exclusively, now. Ha... (I'd love to see Ruger make the LC format in a 22LR.) It's all in the staging, in my opinion. From one LC9 to another (DAO's) they shoot just a little different. Could be round-count... again, like having a 9-shot (with extended mag) revolver. Really like it.

String

Twisted Industries does the only conversion that I know of.

http://twisted.industries/prod...n-kit-2/#prettyPhoto

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stringdriver:

String

One thing I don't like about them is that is not truly DAO in my mind because you can't pull the trigger again if you pull trigger and hear 'click', you must rack slide to reset something inside of it.

Fiancée carries one and is very fond of it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned a PF-9 for about a year and carried it with me a good bit. It was a good gun but the reset of the trigger was extremely long and as a cometition shooter I was so used to shooting from reset it just messed me up.
I sold it and bought the LC9-S Pro which is a little different than the one you asked about but similar too. I pocket carried it and it fed everything I ever put in it but for some reason I never warmed to it and eventually sold it.
I think the LC9's are good guns and I think you will be happy with yourts!

Posts: 70 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned both the LC9 and the LC9S.

The LC9 - long trigger pull - with my hand geometry, it felt like the trigger was pulling upwards for the last third of the pull. I called that gun generation 1.

Some friends had an aftermarket trigger put on one - a bit better, but probably generation 1.5.

The LC9S - trigger pull reduced by about 40%, and lighter (still safe in my opinion). The pull is more linear without the tendency to pull upwards. I call this generation 3 as I think it was enough of a change to result in a skip of generation.

I related this to the friends reference above right after I got the LC9S - Ruger announced the LC9S Pro right then, and they got those. Essentially an LC9S without the manual safety and no magazine disconnect. I haven't had a chance to try one of these.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post

I have had an LC9 for a while.

I carry it, sometimes, with the safety off in a thumb break holster but most of the time its pocket carried with the safety on. I will not carry an LC9S, with its light trigger, in my pocket.

It took awhile to get used to the trigger (about two or three range sessions). While it has a long pull, mine is smooth. The false reset can be disconcerting but you learn to live with it.

It is the slimmest and lightest gun that I own. I often forget I have it with me, especially when it is in a pocket holster. maybe I got lucky but I've carried it quite regularly for about five years now and the finish still looks decent.

It is 100% Reliable and feeds anything including several brands of hollow point. The sights are OK. I practice shooting it with the sights and the laser.

If you are used to double action revolvers, you will have no problems with the trigger.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing I don't like about them is that is not truly DAO in my mind because you can't pull the trigger again if you pull trigger and hear 'click', you must rack slide to reset something inside of it.

True. True. No re-strike. I half-spoke.
I have, however, fallen in love with the 290rs and, of course, the 250 in both SC and C. The 290rs is ridiculously accurate.

Ha Ha. 8, 12, and 15-round "revolvers"... true DAO's. I just prefer DAO's.. sometimes even to DA/SA. No safety except the long trigger pull and the grey matter between the ears.

posted Hide Post
quote:

True. True. No re-strike. I half-spoke.
I have, however, fallen in love with the 290rs and, of course, the 250 in both SC and C. The 290rs is ridiculously accurate.

Ha Ha. 8, 12, and 15-round "revolvers"... true DAO's. I just prefer DAO's.. sometimes even to DA/SA. No safety except the long trigger pull and the grey matter between the ears.

quote:
Twisted Industries does the only conversion that I know of.

I'd not seen that before. Will check it out. Any vendor that makes a semi-automatic HAS to know that buyers will want to practice with less-expensive 22's if they can. (my opinion)

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I actually had the opposite problem with my LC9pro... the mag release was a little too easy on mine... and would pop the mag loose on occasion.

I carried the pro version for about two years... way too easy to carry, conceal and is comfortable as all get out with the right holster... you forget you are carrying.

for some reason I decided to change and decided I did not like that extra light trigger pull on a striker fired pistol with no safety and so have now transitioned to a hammer fired/double action only.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post