SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    When Were the First Non-Colt Commercial 1911’s Sold?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When Were the First Non-Colt Commercial 1911’s Sold? Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
I have been wondering this. I know that during WWI 1911’s were built by Springfield Armory and UMC, and during WWII the 1911A1 was built by multiple contractors, but right after WWII Colt was the only company producing commercial Government Models. When did that change? How long did it take for another company to start producing 1911 pattern pistols? Were they any good? Did companies just think there wasn’t a market or did Colt still have some patents that prevented them from copying the design? Kind of like the AR it seemed to take a while but now it appears that everyone and their brother produces them.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Some of the first ones I remember were imports such as Llama and Star.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Llama is a mechanical copy but not fully interchangeable, Star not even close.

Essex frames, commonly used with surplus parts were available in the 1960s.

The first whole guns I recall were the stainless efforts from AMT, Randall, and Vega in the early 1970s.

Patents had run out in time for several Colt design features to be incorporated in the Saive/Browning High Power ca 1929, so it wasn't that.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the AMT, which Jim Watson just mentioned, was one of the first to be made in stainless steel. That was in the 70s. One of their models was called the "Hardballer". Some pistoleros like Jeff Cooper, Colonel Charles Askins and Phil Engeldrum wrote about this model but I can't remember what they thought of it as far as performance goes.

Another company called Detonic came along about then too. They made a compact 1911.

Springfield Armory got into the 1911 business a little later on. Early 80s I believe.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The patent on the 1911 design expired on Febuary 17, 1930. Non licensed commercial production started sometime after that.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you're taking into account foreign licensed copies produced for commercial sales, the Argentinian Fabrica Militar de Armas Portatiles produced their licensed copy of the M1911A1 known as the Sistema Colt Modelo 1927 from 1945-1966, many of which were for Argentinian military/police use but some of which were offered for commercial sale and export.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post