SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on Seecamp .32?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Seecamp .32? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
While maybe a little uncommon, they aren't rare. I would guess that people who do have them hang onto them.
quote:
I went to a gun show today and not only did no one have one ...

In over 30 years of going to gun shows, I have only seen two. One was at a "scalper" price, the other was a little more "reasonable" at $425. I believe this was its original MSRP when it first came out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
My son in law sent me these pictures over a year ago. He took them at a gun store in PA that had just opened.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm always a bit surprised when folks complain of recoil in the .32 seecamp. I have one and I don't find the recoil the least bit distracting. And I'm not being macho , I have arthritis in my wrists....I don't shoot revolvers, 40 s&w, and rarely shoot a full sized .45 anymore..

I do have small hands, though. I think that perceived recoil , especially on small guns, has a lot to do with the way the gun "fits" your hands. That's my working theory, anyway.. ;- )

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Don’t have one nor am I interested but two friends of mine love theirs and carry regularly. The gun has a fan club. Each to his own.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Dang, I really like the looks of that gun! I may break down and buy one just to have one.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was having trouble finding a pistol that my wife actually liked to shoot because she hates recoil and has small hands. Her aunt let us try out her Beretta Tomcat in .32 and from the first shot my wife was grinning. After two mags she said, “I like this!” Went to the local shop and ordered an Inox that week. It’s fun to shoot and has been 100% reliable.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
fpuhan,
FYI: My local gun store has a Seecamp in the used case. Email (in my profile) if you would like the store contact info.
Being a VERY happy Seecamp owner, I would be happy to look it over for you if you are interested. (too far for you to drive and check it out, ~ 350 miles)
Mine is a Milford, CT produced model with a custom serial number, and a extra "Larry" signed magazine. I was fortunate to be able to tour the factory before Larry sold the business to the present owners.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get one, they are great little works of art! I've carried one in a DeSantis pocket holster for about six yrs now. Silvertips is what I carry in it and no failures to date. Some people have made not so kind remarks as to the recoil of the Seecamp, but seriously, it's not the type of pistol you take to the range and put a couple of boxes of ammo through at one session. It's strictly a last chance backup gun loaded with six rounds to save your life.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Get one, they are great little works of art! I've carried one in a DeSantis pocket holster for about six yrs now. Silvertips is what I carry in it and no failures to date. Some people have made not so kind remarks as to the recoil of the Seecamp, but seriously, it's not the type of pistol you take to the range and put a couple of boxes of ammo through at one session. It's strictly a last chance backup gun loaded with six rounds to save your life.

I found a gently used one online. I'm a hair away from buying!

I was concerned about finding ammo for it. Seecamp's number one recommendation is the Winchester Silvertip, but they have either been discontinued, or as scarce as hen's teeth. Where do you buy yours? Speer Gold Dot and PMC are also on the list, and seem plentiful, but Silvertips?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to find my Gold Dots online.... The Gold Dots work 100% for me.
Seecamps are picky about the overall length of the cartridge. If you buy some self defense ammo , try out a box before you but a bunch.

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
another Seecamp fan,

got mine back in the 90's ,

a friend had ordered one, and when he got the call to confirm, he was able to order 3 more,

excellent little pistols,

carry it often, and shoot it once in a while, no issues , no drama,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
fpuhan,
Check your email.
Let me know if you received four photos.
FYI: I use Speer Gold Dots in mine, 100% function. Next best for me is Hornady.
I've never seen Winchester Silvertips.
They apparently manufacture them but I've never seen them in person.
Here is another photo for you.

Beauty & the Beast 002 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
The gun is also designed in such a way that you can't rack the slide without a mag inserted.

In my opinion, this feature is even more ridiculous than the magazine safety. While the Seecamp is a superbly constructed pistol, I eventually tired of the unusual slide feature and sold my LWS32.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two. A very early (1986[?]) or so .32 and a recent reintroduced.25. I also own other mini pocket guns. Short of the Browning/Bauer .25, there’s really nothing smaller. And, the quality is outstanding. Mine have been very reliable. The .25 is fun to shoot.

I have a NAA Guardian. A fine gun but, very chunky compared to the Seecamp.

For a pocket gun, I have gone to the Remington RM380. Its a Rohrbaugh that actually works. (I owned a Rohrbaugh. Fantastic gun. Great fit and finish. Pride of ownership etc. I could not run one mag without a jam.)

The recoil, due to the locked breech on the RM380 is negligible. I carry hard cast Buffalo Bore in it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sgt 127,

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seecamp's number one recommendation is the Winchester Silvertip, but they have either been discontinued, or as scarce as hen's teeth. Where do you buy yours? Speer Gold Dot and PMC are also on the list, and seem plentiful, but Silvertips?

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/380-...hester?ikw=Silvertip

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I received a few boxes of Silvertips from the previous owner of my first Seecamp .32. Other than that batch, I never actually used them or even bothered to look for them. Speer Gold Dots, PMC Bronze, and Hornady Custom 60gr XTP all work fine. I don't think Hornady is on the official recommended ammo list, but they've worked for me and others.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried to buy Winchester Silvertips lately so am not sure as to how easy they are to come by. The one box I still have left is ancient and I'm not burning up those rounds just to waste them. IIRC, Seecamps were originally fine tuned to function with Silvertips, but Silvertip ammo was the only really viable self defense 32 acp available. From what I understand, Seecamps are also fine tuned to work with Speer Gold Dots, as others have pointed out, so at least these are another good option.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to, but since I was in the neighborhood, I stopped by my LGS today. I have a credit with them, since they sold two guns for me on consignment. The closest one available in their network was still too far away, so he called Seecamp. Not surprisingly, no answer (hey, it's New Year's Eve!). He's going to follow up and let me know what he can do for me.

So far, none of the queries I've made to online sellers has resulted in a reply, but they all might be in holiday mode, too. Since I'm traveling on business next week, we're likely going to be playing "telephone tag" a bit.

I tend to dig pretty deep into research when I'm about to buy something. At times, that can be my undoing, as too much information can get to be overwhelming. Right now, I'm taking a New Year breather. My long game seems to suggest I'd be better off with a new gun and a one-year warranty rather than a "collector's item" that may just be somebody else's problem...

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I would try to find a lightly used Milford, CT pistol. It's my understanding that the newer Southwick, MA pistols are not quite up to Larry Seecamp's quality (lesser quality stainless?).

If you are on the SEECAMP forum, inquire if there is still a member there named "Art". He organized group buys through an FFL friend named "Mo".

Art had a huge collection of SEECAMP pistols and Mo may still have a pistol or two in his stash. You might find a used Milford, CT. pistol for sale through that site.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I would try to find a lightly used Milford, CT pistol. It's my understanding that the newer Southwick, MA pistols are not quite up to Larry Seecamp's quality (lesser quality stainless?).

If you are on the SEECAMP forum, inquire if there is still a member there named "Art". He organized group buys through an FFL friend named "Mo".

Art had a huge collection of SEECAMP pistols and Mo may still have a pistol or two in his stash. You might find a used Milford, CT. pistol for sale through that site.

I signed up a couple of days ago. No one named "Art" has replied to any of my posts, but some regulars have chimed in very helpfully. There are currently 4,927 registered members (a small sum, compared to here!), but I can't identify an "Art." And no one has mentioned group buys.

What I've read, and this is why it gets mind-boggling at times, is that Larry Seecamp was like a god to those who purchased the guns he made. Of course, he also made good on any problems encountered with them. When he sold the company, he expressed his confidence in the Whalleys, who had worked with him before he turned the company over to them. Larry had two CNC machines, the Whalleys had "plenty."

"Milford" Seecamps are so named because they were made in Larry's facility, in Milford, CT. "Southwick" stands for Southwick, MA., where the Whalleys set up shop. Neither "brand" has a 100% success rate. What gun maker does??? What I've heard is that if you buy a Seecamp, and stick to the ammo and cleaning recommendations, you shouldn't have any problems. And if you buy a new one (a "Southwick"), it comes with a one-year warranty, and everything I've read says the warranty is good, and guns repaired under it are returned in flawless operating condition.

As a guitar player, I see this much like I see the ongoing "vintage-versus-new" war. You know what? When Keith Richards got his '54 Telecaster (a gift from Eric Clapton) on his 27th birthday, it wasn't a "classic." It was just a "nice" guitar. That was in 1970. Richards still has that guitar, and he just turned 76! NOW that guitar is a "classic!"

I have a 1957 Gibson ES-225 and a 2016 Gibson ES-335. That almost 60 years between build dates exists, I can't honestly say one guitar is better than the other. I think perhaps the same is true with guns. Today's new gun will someday be a "classic." Or not.