SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thoughts on Seecamp .32?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Seecamp .32? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I have a tendency to downsize from time to time. I'm going through one of those phases right now.

My EDC is a SIG P365, but I just bought an LCP II for when I want to carry something smaller. It was my first foray into a new new caliber. I now have .45 ACP, .38 SPL, 9mm parabellum, .22LR and .380 ACP.

So, I was reading some articles and came across the Seecamp .25, .32 and .380. Further reading led me believe the .32 was probably the "sweetest" of the bunch; they are all similarly sized (the .380 only slightly larger), but the .32 has less felt recoil. They are also TINY! For someone of slender build and bone structure, small is good!

The pros I found were: concealable (!), stainless steel and less felt recoil. The cons seem to be the recoil spring needs to be replaced every 200 rounds or so, and price (~$400).

Several older threads here mention them, and those who have, seem to like them. Yes, it's another new caliber, but I guess I'm okay with having choices. What say you?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have both the 32 and 380 Seecamp guns and they are identical in size. That said, I do believe the 32 to be the best of the 3 calibers. The 380 may be one of the most punishing guns I ever fired. Both of my examples are Milford, CT guns from when Larry still owned the company.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A friend has one, and we've been trying to get it out for her to shoot, but haven't been able to because it is very ammo picky. What I mean by that is that you can only load certain ammo in the mags. Because .32 is semi-rimmed, they designed the mags to be just long enough to accept a particular type of ammo to avoid rimlock. Hers are designed for hollow points, and I can't find any anywhere. There's actually a list of 5 or so specific cartridges that seecamp recommends for use in the gun, but they're really hard to find (a couple of them may have even been discontinued, iirc). She bought FMJ and they are too long to fit in the mag.

The gun is also designed in such a way that you can't rack the slide without a mag inserted. It's supposed to be part of the magazine safety, but IMO it makes the gun less safe, especially for a non-mechanically-minded, inexperienced shooter, because you can't follow a traditional manual of arms for clearing the weapon.

It's a really well-built gun with fantastic fit and finish, but the design is too restrictive for my taste.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I thought Gold Dot was one approved type for the Seecamp. Midway lists it:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001596271

As does Palmetto:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...gdhp-ammo-23604.html

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I thought Gold Dot was one approved type for the Seecamp. Midway lists it:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001596271

As does Palmetto:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...gdhp-ammo-23604.html

I believe you are correct. We were looking locally...including several stores that tend to have very adequate ammo selection.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is an older model from when Larry still ran things, and it is not as finicky as the interwebs would have you believe. It will shoot Gold Dot, Silvertips (if you can find them) and even Hornady Critical Defense. I would have to go look in my ammo stash to see what FMJ's it shoots, but it was a readily available one such as WWB or Federal. Fantastic little guns.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
The .32 is OAL sensitive. They sell a small key fob tool to check oal if you want. But, with approved ammo has been dead reliable. Long hard trigger pull but it is small and do not notice. Very concealable with a wallet holster, have had mine about 10 years. Does not hurt to shoot and accurate enough at 7 yards. Built like a Swiss watch. Front pocket of jeans and cannot tell - I’m a small guy.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you looking for?

If you want to add another caliber to the collection, look at the North American Arms .32
Inexpensive, reliable and it's a .32

If you're set on getting a Seecamp, don't hesitate. They are well worth every cent. Think of a Seecamp purchase like a Rolex Purchase.

I have the .380 and love the lil bugger! I've shot the .32 and yes, the recoil is MUCH better than the .380, however, I'd rather have a .380 to rely on than a .32. They are heavy lil pistols, and well built, somewhat finicky on ammo...

As stated above, they were deigned as a "last ditch" or "get off me" gun, used at unfortunately extremely close range, and aren't designed to be shot all the time.

Recoil springs are easily found. There's a Seecamp forum ( http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl ) that has accessories and holsters and will be able to answer questions. You'll have a hard time finding anyone who has had a bad experience with owning a Seecamp.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
The cons seem to be the recoil spring needs to be replaced every 200 rounds or so

In micro guns like this, replacing the recoil spring every 200 rounds to insure reliability isn't uncommon

quote:
...and price (~$400).

I found it amusing that this range was considered high...as I remember when the Seecamp pistols were going for closer to $1k

I was stunned when the local Turner's had them for $499

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ex Seecamp owner here. Mine was from the Silvertip only days. It was a great pocket gun, but I felt a snub revolver was the better choice in the long run.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two older Seecamp .32's that I purchased used but LNIB from a local dealer. Sequential serial numbers, made in the 90's I think. I've shot one with Speer Gold Dots and had no issues. The other is unfired by me. They are little works of art, machining and finishing are outstanding. Great little "arms length" pistol with an interesting operating design. Removing the mag disconnects the DAO trigger and locks the slide closed.

I purchased a new production Seecamp .380 about a year ago and when I test fired it with Speer Gold Dots it threw the slide off and sent it downrange more than once. I sent it back to Seecamp in October, still waiting for the diagnosis/repair. Yes, Gold Dots are not on the "approved" list for the .380 but they are 90 grain standard pressure and the OAL is fine, and it's what I had available in hollow points. Nasty thing to shoot and at this point I think I will sell/trade it after it's fixed.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Better than harsh language, for sure.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I agree. Shoot a Seecamp just enough to stay proficient and rotate new carry ammo into place.
I love mine!
It's a .32ACP
Buy a box of the fabric BandAids.
They protect the finger nail side of your trigger finger. They get "bit" at the range.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
I agree. Shoot a Seecamp just enough to stay proficient and rotate new carry ammo into place.
I love mine!
It's a .32ACP
Buy a box of the fabric BandAids.
They protect the finger nail side of your trigger finger. They get "bit" at the range.

On another forum discussing the LWS32, a poster showed a photo of his with a piece of foam tape attached to the trigger guard. He said you can find it on Amazon (of course!). Search for "MAGZO Neoprene Foam Roll with Adhesive, 1/16 Inch Thickness"

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had a Seecamp .32 for a short time and got rid of it, it would brutally pound the web of my hand and wasn’t enjoyable to shoot at all. I can’t even imagine how nasty the .380 would be.

If you really want a .32 pocket pistol, the Kel-Tec P-32 can’t be beat and it was actually fun to shoot and far, far softer shooting than the Seecamp. I just upgraded from one to a Kahr CW380 as I wanted to go back to a .380 pocket pistol.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
As fate would have it, there's a gun show nearby this weekend. Although I've grown tired of gun shows, I think I may stop by and see if anyone has a Seecamp LWS32. And perhaps a Kel-Tec P-32. Who knows, they may even have good prices, although that might be stretching it a bit...

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Under Larry Seecamp, the MSRP for a .32acp was about $450 with one magazine. Extra magazines were about $35 each. Larry would even sign a magazine if requested. The wait was 4-6 months for a standard serial numbered pistol, longer for a personalized serial numbered pistol.

The .380acp was more expensive and the wait was almost one year.

Yup that is mine. Custom number and signed magazines. Was good dealing with Larry, straight shooter and a craftsman. Was sad to see them sell, but understand.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The beauty of wanting a seacamp is being able to simulate shooting it prior to buying it.

Go get yourself a nice hammer. Place your hand Palm up and smash the palm of you hand with the hammer until you bleed.... now you can decide if you want one!

I wanted one until I owned it and realized I would never train with it enough to be proficient. It’s not pleasant to shoot and technology has progressed that better is available.

Just my opinion.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a small, thin, easily pocket carried .32, the keltec really is the way to go. My buddy has the .380 seecamp, I don't like it that much.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Well, now I'm having second thoughts about a Seecamp. I went to a gun show today and not only did no one have one, but .32 ACP ammo in JHP was scarce as well! I handled an NAA Guardian and a Kel-Tec P32, the two guns closest to the Seecamp, and honestly, I felt I was probably okay sticking with my LCP II. Yes, it's slightly larger than the LWS32, but it's lighter, and it's .380 (9mm kurze - which is German for "short").

I have a Seecamp on a GB watchlist, so I'm not saying "never," but right now, it's "not today."