SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Star 9MM Surplus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star 9MM Surplus Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I picked up a Star B 9mm surplus pistol to play with. I like the surplus pistols because they are usually cheap and they are perfect for practicing cerakoting and just plain fun to tinker with. The pistol that I have has what I originally thought was the factory serial number defaced for import. Some googling revealed that the Spanish government had a symbol removed. They did this by drilling slightly the slide and frame. I have the pistol stripped for degreasing and sandblasting for Cerakote prep. I'm wondering if there is a filler or epoxy out there that would stand up the shock and heat of firing as well as a Cerakote bake. I don't know if I trust my welding skills enough to fill it without killing it. Here it is.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2nd amdmt gramps
posted Hide Post
Had one of those once. Nice handguns and I really liked it----EXCEPT! The particular one I had was woefully inaccurate even though the lockup looked acceptable and the bore was nice.

Never did find the problem. Sold it.

Posts: 2106 | Location: southeast arkansas | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JB Weld works with powder coating and its baking. Might be worth a try.

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's going to be hard to fill that in and smooth it out. You might want to consider having an emblem or other sort of metal disc cut to take up the space that you can simply epoxy in there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
It's going to be hard to fill that in and smooth it out. You might want to consider having an emblem or other sort of metal disc cut to take up the space that you can simply epoxy in there.

I vote for a peace symbol: Achieving peace by firepower!

Kind of like the term parabellum, for 9mm.

For War.

Something about the idea that:
if you wish to establish peace, you must prepare for war.

As for Star pistols- I like them: I have 4. That is twice as many as I have of Sigs- yet, they all combined to cost what a new 229 Elite Enhanced will cost.

On the BM model [I think that is this one, right?], is that the serial number on the side? Or is that a unit number/designation?

On some Star pistols, the serial number is on the butt of what we would call a Main Spring Housing, if it were a 1911.

At least, that is the way for mine- but mine were all made pre-1962.

Cool find!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I vote for a peace symbol: Achieving peace by firepower!

Kind of like the term parabellum, for 9mm.

For War.

Something about the idea that:
if you wish to establish peace, you must prepare for war.
and, hey- this pistol is in 9mm parabellum!

As for Star pistols- I like them: I have 4. That is twice as many as I have of Sigs- yet, they all combined to cost what a new 229 Elite Enhanced will cost.

On the BM model [I think that is this one, right?], is that the serial number on the side? Or is that a unit number/designation?

On some Star pistols, the serial number is on the butt of what we would call a Main Spring Housing, if it were a 1911.

At least, that is the way for mine- but mine were all made pre-1962.

Cool find!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post