SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need recommendations for pistol benchrest
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendations for pistol benchrest Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I'm looking for a good pistol benchrest. Adjustable, not the sandbag type. This is the only one I've seen online that looks close to what I want:

www.midwayusa.com/product/1015...pistol-shooting-rest

Does anyone have experience with it? Or recommendations for some other? I'm willing to pay for good design and construction.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. Resting the slide (the moving part) on the support. Is that how it's supposed to be? You're retarding the slide's movement by introducing friction into the equation.

My "bench rest" is pistol grip butt on the platform.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Other than a true ransom rest (lot's o $$$$), I've not seen anything that's worth a darn.

If I need to regulate sights etc, I'm building up based on sandbags.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I'm confused. Resting the slide (the moving part) on the support. Is that how it's supposed to be? You're retarding the slide's movement by introducing friction into the equation.

I didn't see where it said "Resting the slide on the support…", but I've noticed that you're eagle-eyed Smile so it probably does say that somewhere.

But, in fact, the pistol contacts the benchrest at two points: The bottom of the grip, and the frame, forward of the trigger guard. I think that the "bottom of the grip" contact is optional.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I have one of those, it is simple and works great.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

I didn't see where it said "Resting the slide on the support…", but I've noticed that you're eagle-eyed Smile so it probably does say that somewhere.

But, in fact, the pistol contacts the benchrest at two points: The bottom of the grip, and the frame, forward of the trigger guard. I think that the "bottom of the grip" contact is optional.

I was simply looking at the pics, and this is one of them. I'm pretty sure folks who actually use it have only the frame rest on the support. But, the pic appears to show the bottom of the slide also touching the support.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was simply looking at the pics, and this is one of them. I'm pretty sure folks who actually use it have only the frame rest on the support. But, the pic appears to show the bottom of the slide also touching the support.

Optical illusion. That cradle is actually pretty wide. It's the same one they use on their rifle rests. The forward part of the frame rests on the bottom of the cradle, but there's plenty of clearance on the sides, so there's no contact with any part of the slide.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I'm intrigued enough by this that I just bought one. I have to do a load development for a 220, and this looks like it may work much better than sandbags. BTW, newegg.com has them for $26 & some change shipped.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the comments.

I wish that the cradle wasn't so thick, so it's forward edge would be further back from the muzzle blast – would stay cleaner. But if that cradle was originally used for a rifle rest I guess that explains why it's so thick.

Serious about crackers

Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Google Hyskore Parallax pistol sighting rest.These look much more heavy duty and are $45 shipped via Amazon. Tempted myself....

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:

Optical illusion. That cradle is actually pretty wide. It's the same one they use on their rifle rests. The forward part of the frame rests on the bottom of the cradle, but there's plenty of clearance on the sides, so there's no contact with any part of the slide.

I believe our eagle eyed friend is noting the part of the slide that lives it's life as part of the dust cover where the recoil spring plug lives.

I also think is a marketing promo shot that went a little astray. Cool

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Thi$ i$ $olid and adju$table:
http://www.gunblast.com/TargetShooting-PistolRest.htm

Looks like a great pistol rest no doubt, but at $440 it's a little higher priced than the $25 rest than Pipe Smoker mentioned in his original post.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Indeed! But the main issue with the "quality benchrest" suggestions is that they don't look as though they'd fit in my range bag. I bought the Caldwell Pistolero Benchrest, mentioned in my original post.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
I've got one of the Caldwell units and it works pretty well. I added some 1x2 pine braces inside the base lengthwise to stiffen it up some.

But I've had better luck with the gun not touching anything, using a wrist rest, two handed grip, with a red dot at least. The reason is that I tend to put pressure on the gun to line up the sights exactly where I want them instead of making adjustments to the rest, and the change in grip tension to muscle the gun cancels out the steadiness of the gun. I've done a lot of shooting from 100-200 yards with a pistol with a 4x4 block with a small towel on top. There are some videos here.

https://www.youtube.com/playli...-yUxqYvFX6tek_pEmLes

Lots of folks have great results from the inexpensive Caldwell rest, however. I'm kinda used to my way, that's all.

Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My Caldwell is "Arriving by 8PM today." Thanks for the tip about the pine braces, Joe L. How did you attach them?

I'm thinking that I'll rest the pistol only on the front yolk – maybe remove the rear butt rest, if possible.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
I don't have any photos handy. I believe all I did was use 3 wood screws per side, vertical, drilled through the plastic. I'm not near it right now or I would take some new pics for you. For the price, the Caldwell can't be beat, in my opinion.
Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post