SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Hogue Grips for P220; and a Question...

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hogue Grips for P220; and a Question... Login/Join 
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted
I received the checkered Pau Ferro stocks for my P220/.45 today, and to say I am very pleased is an understatement -- they are beautiful. Another excellent product from Hogue! They are darker than the Pau Ferro stocks I also received today for my GP-100 (also awesome wood) and really complete the 220. And they feel great. Here is a pic (if I did it right):

Now my question: The grip screws I removed from the rubber Hogue finger groove grips were Hogue hex head screws with washers; I could get the screws without the washers to go in and tighten up without interfering with the mag -- do I need the washers? If so, I think I'd need longer screws.

I did do a search here and came up with a couple posts, but neither one really answered my question. I also looked at the Hogue site and only found one size of screw. I just don't want to ruin these beautiful new stocks with incorrect screws...

Thanks!

P.S. - I almost titled this "I got wood today!" Eek

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 572 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could go with o-rings. That will prevent the screw from getting into the msg well and some tension to prevent screw back out. I don't recall the size, but stole the idea from someone on this site and used a dab of blue loctite on the threads.

Craig

LIFE NRA + Charter ILEETA

Posts: 133 | Location: chattanooga | Registered: January 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks, baker1425, those are both good ideas.

SigFan

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 572 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREAT PICTURE!
The P220 is my favorite production hand-gun.
Your grips look great.
I bought a pair of Hogue Rosewood for a pair of mine and installed them last week.
I use the SIG Screw and Washer sets.

I'd give ANYTHING to NOT have thick stupid base-plates on my magazines.
Your 220 looks perfect!

Posts: 21 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks, mg1911; that's a pretty pair you got there!

I bought mine back in '98 or '99 while stationed at Ramstein AB, Germany, so the three mags I have for it all have the old style base plate.

SigFan

Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
While I haven't tried the O rings with the Pau Ferro grips myself, I do use O rings with the checkered aluminum ones. The aluminum grips have a gap between the threads and the inside diameter that the O rings fit nicely in the gap and the screws fit flush.

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 2176 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I've just discovered I have the same problem (just tried a set on a KE), and I have a strong feeling that putting any kind of -Tite on a narrow band of threads in an aluminum frame is just not going to lead to my happy place.

Therefore, dumb question: is there a particular size of O rings to look for? They're cheap, but the hardware store is a little bit out of the way.

Posts: 20093 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replies.

MustangPaPa, if Ken@Hogue said no washers needed, that's good enough for me!

Thanks again, y'all; I knew Sigforum would enlighten me once again!

SigFan

posted Hide Post
Why would anyone not want to use the SIG screws and washers as shown above?
Just curious....

Posts: 21 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
So just for S&G's I tried one of the Hogue hex head screws with the Sig washer, and although I could get it to screw in, I suspect it was no more than one or two threads deep. So back to just the screw I went. The Hogue hex heads screw in all the way without touching the mag or protruding into the mag well. It seems to be just perfect that way (screws only).

When I fire it I'll find out if the screws loosen; in which case maybe I'll put a tiny drop of the purple loc-tite on.

SigFan