SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carrying a full size all steel pistol.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying a full size all steel pistol. Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted
I read all the time how carrying a full sized all steel pistol "...is too difficult!" "...they are simply too heavy!" "Nobody can conceal a big gun!"

That last one always provides me an opportunity to embarass the person stating it, by lifting my golf shirt and drawing a S&W 4506-1 from a Galco IWB holster. Smile

The key to carrying a full size all steel pistol, like a 4506-1 is a good belt and a well made holster. I purchased a new Nexbelt gunbelt last year. It is ome of those Ratchet type belts. You can pull it tight, to exactly how you want or need it and it stays there. Kinda pricey, but it is the best gunbelt I have ever owned.

With the Nexbelt and a Galco IWB or Aker Flatsider OWB Pancake type holster, I can carry a 4506-1 in comfort for 12 hours. Without having to yank my britches up every 10 minutes.

And I have been carrying a full size all steel pistol, to the exclusion of my lighter weight aluminum framed compacts, for the last few months. There have been several robberies of gunshops, locally, over the last few months. I work partime at a high end shop. Can't be too careful.

And an all steel 45 is the gun I shoot best. My 4506-1 has no trouble making "A" hits at distance, quickly. I find with my lighter weight, smaller guns, that I have to work harder to make the same hits.

So, continue eating Wheaties amd lifting weights and get yourself a Nexbelt. You will ne glad you did! Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have carried a full size 1911 IWB in a Galco Royal Guard. With a decent belt, it's comfortable, but can be in issue sitting down, as the muzzle tends to contact the seat, whether in a restaurant, or in a car.

I do find that big single stacks are easier to carry than big fat double stacks, though. I thought I wanted a p227 until I actually held one in my hands and thought about how I would carry it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Full size P220r
Full size 1911
Even all stainless models of the above.
Glock G20/21/41

I’ve carried all these, even IWB.
Is a G19 lighter? Yeah, but it can be done w/o too much discomfort. You do have to get the right gear.
A dress belt and a nylon Uncle Mike’s probably ain’t gonna do it.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I think most are not saying that it can not be done, but that we have found better options for ourselves. As always one should carry whatever they are most confident with such as my Gen 2 Glock 19 in my case. I knew a guy I worked with that always talked about carrying his Kimber full size 1911. We met up for lunch on a day off and I commented on how well he could conceal it. When I asked to see it I finally saw he was CCWing a S&W Shield LOL.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
When I used to carry a full size Government Model 1911, I found a good gun belt/good IWB holster worked best for me.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If there is one thing we should learn in life is that we shouldn’t let others make our decisions for us. That’s especially important for highly personal decisions about what self-defense measures to take, including what guns to carry. I have always been somewhat of a contrarian on principle about many of my decisions and as a consequence I had to learn countless lessons for myself, only to come to the conclusion that, “Yup: Those guys were right after all.” But not always. And even more important, when I reached such conclusions it was because of something I did for myself and not because I blindly followed the crowd.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I read all the time how carrying a full sized all steel pistol "...is too difficult!" "...they are simply too heavy!" "Nobody can conceal a big gun!"

quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
I think most are not saying that it can not be done, but that we have found better options for ourselves...

Exactly! If you want to carry an all steel big gun and are comfortable with it, fine. But, if you claim that it's easier to conceal and lighter to carry than, say, a compact polymer like the G19, then you're not being honest.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I agree. That said the primary reason for me carrying tactical Tupperware is the easy of maintenance/wipe downs etc. plastic is just easier for me to not worry shot finger prints or sweat etc. where I find myself spending more time wiping down all steel/metal carry guns. I realize I probably put more care in then necessary or then most but I like to keep them looking good.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
to each his own,
carry what you are comfortable with.

both wearing and shooting , that is.

One fella in Mesa , Az got drained because his
full size steel gun was too much of a load,

he quit carrying it and went to a glock .45 acp

then he went to the range and found out that it was not comfortable to shoot and he was no where near as proficient with it.

He still wanted to take a gun with him so he went with off body carry , I wonder if he is still practicing that meathod

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
18DAI, I agree with your post. While not all steel, I carried an H&K USP .45 full size for years IWB. At 5'11" 180lbs and a 32" waist, I would always get, "that's a big gun for a little guy to conceal." I always thought the size/weight of the pistol was just a, choosing the correct gear problem.

Seems I'm not the only one.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1184 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the dark ages, before the poly enlightenment I often carried a 4 inch S&W Model 25-5 in .45LC. Speed loader too. It was a matter of a good belt and holster. I still carry a 220 or 1911. My belt is a NexBelt and it has been great. I may try a Kore Essentials belt as it is a little more dressy. And since I am now ancient, I use Perry suspenders to help support my artillery. And my pants!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. And I have one of those Nexbelts also. It is without a doubt the best belt I've ever had for carrying a concealed pistol.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
One fella in Mesa , Az got drained because his
full size steel gun was too much of a load,

Drained? Pray tell what does this mean?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drained? Pray tell what does this mean?

he said it plain old wore him out,
draging it in and out of the holster while he was driving,

hauling it all over , all day ,
he walked about 4 - 5 miles a day for 10 hours.

he said it was a noticeable drag

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I e seen you guys carrying full size in your tactical mu-mus. How many of you guys dress business casual with a tucked shirt?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I e seen you guys carrying full size in your tactical mu-mus. How many of you guys dress business casual with a tucked shirt?

I buy all my shirts from Abu the Tent Maker.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have never felt comfortable with a tuckable holster. The clip has stood out to people before in my world and raised questions so then I have to "hide the clip" with a cell phone case or something that I don't normally use blah blah....woe is me.

Anyway all I am saying is if I have to dress business casual then I am likely pocket, ankle or belly band esq'(my own sort of thing) carrying.

Luckily I can almost always have an adequate external cover garment.

All that said I get the full size comment but carrying a steel compact shouldn't be any more difficult then polymer compact of similar size in this regard besides the weight. (CZ 75 compact to Glock 19 for example.) The CZ actually presents a bit thinner of a feel/profile actually.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I used an Aker Flatsider OWB when I was in coat and tie Investigations. Hid a 4506-1 or a 4566 fine under a suitcoat. I don't use "tuckable" holsters.......then again......I've not had a requirement to totally hide a gun.

These days its jeans and golf shirts at the gunshop. IWB or OWB, depending on what I feel like doing.

On duty as a Magistrate, 511s and a golf shirt. Again, no requirement to conceal. I usually use a JIT slide. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly can do it and used to. I did a 1911 and a Sig 226 at different times. I've since moved to plastic due to sweating and the lower price of a replacement. I shoot them equally well so that parts a non issue atleast for me. If you still do it then more power to you.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I carried a G19 using an excellent JM Kydex holster combined with an equally excellent Kore Essentials belt.

>>HATED<< >>EVERY<< >>F’ING<< >>MINUTE<< >>OF<< >>IT<<.

https://gifimage.net/wp-conten...-automobiles-gif.gif

I don't believe it's remotely possible to over emphasize that point.

Stand still like a JC Penny clothing mannequin, Everything is groovy.

Walk down a hallway in a straight line, upper torso unnaturally stiff and frozen, Everything is great.

Make any upper torso movement, PISTOL PRINTS.

KLUNK!! Banging into EVERY arm rest chair.

THUD!! Banging into the console in my car.

SCRRRRAAAPPPEEE!! Butt rubbing against my seatbelt buckle.

Get out of the car, SHIRT PULLS UP EXPOSING PISTOL.

Reach for something on the ground, SHIRT PULLS UP EXPOSING PISTOL.

Stand up from ANY seating position, SHIRT PULLS UP EXPOSING PISTOL.

Scratch my head, SHIRT PULLS UP EXPOSING PISTOL.

Yawn after a long afternoon, SHIRT PULLS UP EXPOSING PISTOL.

It got to the point that I honestly felt better off being completely unarmed than carrying that boat anchor G19. Stays home... Never carry it... I HATE CARRYING THE G19!!!

Switched to a G48 with a Vedder IWB. 50% Improvement. I still know it's there. SHIRT STILL PULLS UP EXPOSING PISTOL with ANY MOVEMENT AT ALL. Much more manageable.

Bear in mind, I am a person who doesn't like carrying a cell phone on my belt or so much as a Leatherman or folding knife on my belt. I HATE ANYTHING ON MY BELT.

Tried ordering a Galco Miami Classic. They immediately charged my card. After FIVE FUCKING WEEKS no holster. Cancelled order. Galco can go get F’ED.

Carrying a full steel framed auto on my belt? Mad Not only "NO" but HELL NO!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belgian Blue,

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post