SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carrying a full size all steel pistol.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying a full size all steel pistol. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Mike Pannone teaches and excellent course called Covert Carry that I might suggest to you. It sounds like as much of a struggle carrying a gun and keeping it concealed is that it might be money well spent.

I highly recommend the class.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Mike Pannone teaches and excellent course called Covert Carry that I might suggest to you. It sounds like as much of a struggle carrying a gun and keeping it concealed is that it might be money well spent.

I highly recommend the class.

That sounds like just what I need.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I sometimes carry my M11A1, but find my old hips prefer either P239 or better a P365 these days.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm retired,so I don't have to tuck in my shirts... and I don't. These days, I carry appendix IWB. I hardly feel the weight of any of my guns from Sigs to 5 inch 1911s to four inch revolvers. When I carried at 3-4 o'clock I did feel the weight. I know what works for me but I don't tell others how to carry. We all have to decide for ourselves and we have more options than ever.

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Does a CZ 75BD count?

I've carried one in a High Noon IWB at about 3pm using a good belt and it carries and conceals very well.

Have also carried a M11-A1 in the same manner for quite a long time with very good results.

Old and kinda lumpy seems to help hide, too Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From time to time I go business casual. I use a Kangaroo carry for those occasions. Not ideal but it works.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16063 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a Commander, but age and injury have changed my tastes.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) I found carrying braces to be more comfortable. It was the imbalance which I found so uncomfortable.

B) Some days, something very light, slipped in a pocket, is about all that is practical, but I do like AIWB/IWB carry for pocket guns, at times.

Posts: 5724 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
With the right belt, up you can carry anything! I’ve enjoyed a comfortable carry with Magpul’ Tejas style of belts. Fortunately, when have to carry a heavy gun these days, it’s Kangaroo or AIWB..

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I too like carrying a blued steel beauty in a "man's" caliber but like others I've decided to hit the easy button with the compact polymer striker pistols. The weight isn't as much of an issue to me. Ease of maintenance of the polymer and the fact that I don't feel as horrible if it gets banged around or scratched.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I can carry a full size 1911 without much problem.

When standing or sitting with the appropriate cover shirt, it doesn't print at all when riding in a kydex OWB holster with zero cant. I'm sure I could get better concealment with IWB, but I like the surety of the draw from OWB.

When sitting in the car or in a chair that has an open back, that's when the problem starts with getting the butt hooked on something or jammed into me.

Weight with an all-steel 1911 has never been an issue.

Never tried to conceal a 226, but I've toyed with the idea of a 220 SAO, which I think would conceal just fine on me.

I'm going to be getting a Staccato P that I fully intend to try to conceal, probably AIWB. I think I can manage that, especially with a better fitness regimen to flatten the stomach and increase chest size for a better shirt drape.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I was lazy today. I left the 4506-1 in the safe and wore the 4566. Wink

In a MTR custom leather "Avenger" style open top holster. WITH a Nexbelt! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I say if you can do it comfortably and confidently then go for it.

for many folks concealed carry is always a compromise....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Full size P220r
Full size 1911
Even all stainless models of the above.
Glock G20/21/41

I’ve carried all these, even IWB.
Is a G19 lighter? Yeah, but it can be done w/o too much discomfort. You do have to get the right gear.
A dress belt and a nylon Uncle Mike’s probably ain’t gonna do it.

I have the 220 (no rail) and a Colt Commander steel frame , as well as a P6 and P228 in my carry rotation,

no issues, as far as weight etc, but I carry in a nice leather pancake style owb holster,

loose jacket or shirt untucked hides it well

I carried a full size steel frame 1911 for a bit in a shoulder holster, but it was a bit heavy load, with gun and 2 extra magazines

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a young man, I would ONLY carry an all steel weapon. God forbid, I would never consider an alloy framed weapon. Then as I got older, I swore off carrying steel, and went to the lighter alloy frames and swore I would never carry a polymer gun. So, here I am now days with a small Shield as my carry weapon. My my, how times and attitudes change!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I often carry my CZ-75B Omega. I carry it in an OWB Galco Combat Master on a 5.11 gunbelt. Before I lost 100 lbs I was using a Bigfoot belt, but now that belt is way too big. Wink

As others have noted, with a good holster and a good belt, it carries easily and comfortably.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I carried a 5" Gov't model 1911 for 25 years. Both IWB/OWB. No issues with the weight. As has been said, it's all about the holster & belt. I have transitioned to polymer guns but on occasion I'll pack a 1911 Commander or a Beretta 92 compact. I'm a bigger guy so hiding a big gun has never been a problem.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE metal guns and have several. I am 6' tall 150lbs so carry for me is different than some others. I carry a 365XL. Before that a Kahr for like 10 years. It is not the weight it is the modern carry ergos or whatever, which I guess weight is a factor. But not something I pay attention to in selection. For my collection there has to be a lot to like about a plastic gun to inspire me to buy. SO HK's and will be getting a 320 Xseries once I decide which.

229, 220, 320 Xcompact, 365, 365XL

Posts: 38 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 4506 is one of the few guns I regret selling, one of these days I need to get another one.

I've worked in a few different capacities while carrying a pistol. Plain clothes (from suit/ shirt & tie to tshirt and jeans) under cover, uniform. For about the last 15ish years, my work gun is a G-21, before that a Stainless P-220, in the very beginning, a P-226.

On the belt in a leather pancake type holster or a Safariland kydex (7010 I believe), inside the pant holsters, mostly kydex but have used a few leather ones, pocket carry, and the traditional police pistol belt and full sized holsters.

The persons size and shape has a lot to do with how well one can "conceal" a pistol. So does clothing. Kinda hard to conceal a gun in skinny jeans and tight t shirts.
Being able to comfortably carry one is different. (Secret- strong abb and back Wink )

As for the OP, working in a gun shop in an area where a few of them have been robbed...
A 4506 would probably be the smallest thing I'd have on. There'd be a few shotguns and AR's easily accessible for staff behind the counter.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Mossy 590 under the counter and a Winchester 1300 pistol grip under the register CDP SIG. Wink We have a sign up front that states "We don't call 911".

All the staff is off duty/retired LE or Military. We have an electronic lock on the front door too. The front window treatment lets us see out, but they can't see in. So if we don't like how they look - they don't come in.

Trust me, the 4506-1 is there to get me to the Winchester. Wink

BTW, on duty the other night, my partner in the Magistrates office had one of those reality police shows on. They showed a Chicago plain clothes officer get into a shooting in an apartment house. It looked like he had a 4586. Sounded like one too when he fire two shots into an armed mope.

Is the 4586 still popular up there? What about the other 3rd gen 45s? The officer using one looked to be in his late 30s. Stay safe! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post