SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carrying a full size all steel pistol.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying a full size all steel pistol. Login/Join 
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
Agreed. And I have one of those Nexbelts also. It is without a doubt the best belt I've ever had for carrying a concealed pistol.

Several people seem to like the nexbelt. I had one of the early ones come apart and so have been leery of them. The gun belt ones look beefier and have screws so may be better. Birthday coming up, may as well try one.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:

BTW, on duty the other night, my partner in the Magistrates office had one of those reality police shows on. They showed a Chicago plain clothes officer get into a shooting in an apartment house. It looked like he had a 4586. Sounded like one too when he fire two shots into an armed mope.

Is the 4586 still popular up there? What about the other 3rd gen 45s? The officer using one looked to be in his late 30s. Stay safe! Regards 18DAI

Glad to hear you have other firepower close by!

The 4586/4508 and the rest of the guns on CPD-
It all depends on when the officer came on the job. Officers that came on in the mid 90's to 2000- 3rd Gen S&W's, Sigs were probably the most popular, and in 9mm. After probation, the officer could get a .45 if they wanted to.

A lot of officers from that era still carry them.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the info CDP SIG! Smile Much appreciated! Stay safe! Best regards, 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When i was a new cop at 21, i carried a full sized 5906 or 1911 off duty all the time. As one ages, ones back really appreciates the lighter weight. I now most often carry a shield rarely a p229.

Posts: 5 | Registered: February 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Comfort is more of an issue than concealment for me. Larger hand guns work better OWB for me. This week it's been Beretta PX4 in 45acp.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a small guy (5’9”/150#) but I comfortably carry a CZ75 full stainless when riding my motorcycle and hiking. I use a good OWB holster.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the continuing info and great pics! Smile

I was wearing my 4506-1 on duty in the Magistrates office one night last week (double shifts - left the gun shop and went straight to my other shitty job). I had it in a Don Hume Yaqui slide. The muzzle protruded an inch or so below my fleece.

An officer noticed it and said that I needed a better holster for a nice 45 like that. I told him how difficult it is to find leather (I don't do plastic holsters either Wink ) for out of print guns, compounded by the fact that I am left handed.

The next night, I had a package in my mailbox. Color photos of custom leather, made by the husband of one of the LTs in the jail. He doesn't have a mold for a 4506-1, so he needs the gun, for a week.

So, my Askins Avenger style holster in black leather, open top, left hand will be here in two weeks! That will be perfect to carry my S&W Dragoon in. Wink Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

BTW, on duty the other night, my partner in the Magistrates office had one of those reality police shows on. They showed a Chicago plain clothes officer get into a shooting in an apartment house. It looked like he had a 4586. Sounded like one too when he fire two shots into an armed mope.

Is the 4586 still popular up there? What about the other 3rd gen 45s? The officer using one looked to be in his late 30s. Stay safe! Regards 18DAI

Glad to hear you have other firepower close by!

The 4586/4508 and the rest of the guns on CPD-
It all depends on when the officer came on the job. Officers that came on in the mid 90's to 2000- 3rd Gen S&W's, Sigs were probably the most popular, and in 9mm. After probation, the officer could get a .45 if they wanted to.

A lot of officers from that era still carry them.

I came on in 1980. We carried two six shot revolvers back then. Now these new guys carry these new fangled semi-auto’s

Posts: 5732 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks all for the continuing info and great pics! Smile

I was wearing my 4506-1 on duty in the Magistrates office one night last week (double shifts - left the gun shop and went straight to my other shitty job). I had it in a Don Hume Yaqui slide. The muzzle protruded an inch or so below my fleece.

An officer noticed it and said that I needed a better holster for a nice 45 like that. I told him how difficult it is to find leather (I don't do plastic holsters either Wink ) for out of print guns, compounded by the fact that I am left handed.

The next night, I had a package in my mailbox. Color photos of custom leather, made by the husband of one of the LTs in the jail. He doesn't have a mold for a 4506-1, so he needs the gun, for a week.

So, my Askins Avenger style holster in black leather, open top, left hand will be here in two weeks! That will be perfect to carry my S&W Dragoon in. Wink Smile Regards 18DAI

Post a pic when you get it!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In my early career, I carried a P220R on and off duty. No issues regularly concealing a full-sized P220, although that had an alloy frame.

Nowadays, I still occasionally carry an all steel Commander 1911 off duty, although it's almost always some flavor of polymer gun.

With a quality holster and gun belt, even a full size all steel gun is fairly easily carried. But you do definitely notice a difference if you normally carry something smaller and lighter. (And I could see an especially small/thin guy having some additional issues with such a relatively large gun.)

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried quite a few full sized pistols over the past decade plus. While its easy to conceal a full size, its a lot more comfortable to carry something smaller. We have 6-7 months a year of blazing heat and high humidity. I'm in shorts most of the year. A small EDC (365) works better for me in this climate.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post