SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P938 Magazine Problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P938 Magazine Problem Login/Join 
posted
I've had a P938 for about 3 years that I've been very pleased with and frequently carry. Round count is about 2500. The last 2 times I've taken the gun to the range the magazine has dropped out while firing. My first thought was that I had inadvertently pressed the magazine release, but this has definitely happened without my doing that. The last time I fired the gun, I put 5 seven round magazines through it and this happened 3 times with 3 different magazines. The gun has otherwise been flawless. Any thoughts?

Posts: 121 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you need the new design of mag release button.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago, another member here posted that he replaced the stock 938 spring with a standard 1911 mag button spring, chopped a couple coils off it until it fit and never had another issue with magazines becoming unseated while firing.

I was beginning to experience the same issue with my 2013 938. Once I swapped out and fitted the new 1911 spring, I never had a problem with mags dropping out, either.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
The 1911 spring nor the SIG heavy catch spring worked for me. I finally bit the bullet and sent my P938 back to SIG for the updated magazine catch and whatever else it might need. It's on it's way back to me now.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spoke to SIG and decided not to try to fix this myself. Sent them the gun today and they will install the new magazine catch and spring and any other service or updates if needed. Good deal, 3-4 week turnaround.

Posts: 121 | Location: Ohio | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Darith
posted Hide Post
Following. I need to shoot my p938 more to see if this happens to me too.

SIG 516 | Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm LR BDC Reticle on Bobro QD Scope Mount | Dueck Defense RTS | Primary Arms Micro Dot on Gear Sector Offset Rail Mount | RainierArms Raptor Charging Handle | Magpul STR Black | Geissele 2-stage G2S Trigger, AAC SDN-6, Fab Defense Mako Folding Pistol Grip, Mako Foregrip Bipod + Insight HX120 | Magpul AFG2, Phase 5 EBRv2, Knights Armament Trigger Guard
VEPR 12 | TSS G2 Trigger Group | CSS GK-01 | Molot Modified Choke | Bonesteel AR Folder w/ Magpul STR, Primary Arms Micro Red Dot | Custom Stippled Handguard
SKS Norinco 56 Series w/ Prism Bayonet
Heckler & Koch P30S Variation 3 w/ New Light Firing Pin Block Spring from HKParts.net
+more

Posts: 343 | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update to my original post. Sent my P938 to Sig and they received it on June 20th and I received it back today. Excellent turnaround time. Gunsmith comments:

Updated magazine catch spring.
Updated mainspring housing, hammer, sear, and extractor.
Replaced recoil assembly and firing pin spring.
Test fired FMJ and JHP, no issues.

Very pleased with their service. Will take the gun to the range tomorrow to check it out. My only concern is the trigger pull is heavier, but hopefully this will improve with some shooting. My gun had about 2500 rounds through it and I liked the trigger as it was.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKSig:
Update to my original post. Sent my P938 to Sig and they received it on June 20th and I received it back today. Excellent turnaround time. Gunsmith comments:

Updated magazine catch spring.
Updated mainspring housing, hammer, sear, and extractor.
Replaced recoil assembly and firing pin spring.
Test fired FMJ and JHP, no issues.

Very pleased with their service. Will take the gun to the range tomorrow to check it out. My only concern is the trigger pull is heavier, but hopefully this will improve with some shooting. My gun had about 2500 rounds through it and I liked the trigger as it was.

Good too know. I am approaching the same round count on my 4 YO P938. During my last range trip, the mag unseated during rapid fire drill. I like you assumed that I hit the mag release, but it would have been the first time, so doubtful.

Replacing everything besides the mag catch spring must have been condition based. Do you know if you had the old or new style MSH and spring? If you had the old style, you got a lot of life out of them and as they wear the trigger pull becomes progressively lighter. Mine became a hair trigger once half of the male boss on the MSH had worn off. Replacing these components did increase trigger effort, but not worse than after 200 round mark.

The new hammer & sear probably is the bigger culprit for increased trigger pull and may feel a little gritty. That should wear in quick enough. Could dry fire with snap caps to expedite.

I previously asked the form about replacement intervals on the springs. Now I know SIG thinks it is ~ 2500 rounds.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took the repaired P938 to the range today and fired 50 rounds without any problems. In spite of the heavier trigger, I was pleased. I always fire 3 7-round magazines at a reduced silhouette at 50 feet. Goal is all 21 rounds in the 5-ring (easy with my X5 or S&W K38) but a challenge with this little pistol. Had 17 5's, 3 4's, and 1 3 for 100/105. Hope to get another 2500 rounds before it has to go back again!

The MSH that was replaced was the old type. I've actually had the pistol since 12/13, longer than I thought.

posted Hide Post
Did Sig send back any of the original parts?

Curious why the hammer and sear needed to be replaced.

posted Hide Post
SIG didn't return the old parts. Maybe they redesigned those parts since they refer to it as an update.