SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is the Walther P99 still being produced?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Walther P99 still being produced? Login/Join 
Picture of PPS1980
posted Hide Post
Ah the P99AS, wonderful weapon. The grip is excellent. It points naturally. Mechanism in my P99AS and P99cAS have been flawless. Accuracy is excellent. The decocker makes it my favorite striker of all time. All-around outstanding weapon. Yes, Walther makes 1-2 runs of them a year to satisfy their ongoing police and military contracts around the world and we get the "extra" released for commercial sales. In a discussion with a Walther US employee I know I was told that the Compact "c" is in limbo and that it will be made when/if those police contracts express an interest in more of them as backup/plain clothes carry weapons.

The price quoted is also excellent. I hope you were able to get it because I believe you're going to like that P99 a lot.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
- Thomas Jefferson 1787

Posts: 4 | Registered: October 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
And besides, James Bond carried one.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeputyCG:
I was at one of my local gun/LE supply stores and I noted a Walther P99 on the Blue Label wall. I asked to see it, thinking I mistook it for a Walther PPQ. Lo and behold it was actually a Walther P99AS brand new with the box, and three magazines for just under $500. I was under the impression that this pistol was discontinued. Is it still being produced? I may convince myself that I need this.....

Out of curiosity, where is this gun/LE supply store that has the P99AS in stock? Looking to add a Walther P99 to my collection.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Here is my P99AS. Excellent pistol, the ergonomics are outstanding.

I hear the new ones have a smaller ambi paddle mag release, and an ambi slide stop.

Earl's has the 99AS and 99 Compact AS listed, looks like special order. http://www.carlwalther.com/p99as.htm

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 99 is pre “AS” and a 40. I tried to sell it years ago glad now that it got no interest. In bad ammo times I like having a 40. Plus, it is a great shooting gun. I had a warranty issue and Smith & Wesson screwed me so I put it back in safe broken. Waited a bunch of years called again and they fixed it. I think that is when S&W got sold again. Anyway, great gun. Great striker system. The best actually.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Here is my P99AS. Excellent pistol, the ergonomics are outstanding.

I hear the new ones have a smaller ambi paddle mag release, and an ambi slide stop.

Earl's has the 99AS and 99 Compact AS listed, looks like special order. http://www.carlwalther.com/p99as.htm

Thanks. I contacted that vendor last week, and was told they are out.

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good morning, Deputy,

Might you share what toystore you found this 99AS in? Have been looking for one for eons.

Thank you, Sir, and be safe out there.

Posts: 33 | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 west tactical in San Antonio, Texas. This was a LEO:MILITARY special. They were short of guns and ammo the last timeI was there but they did have suppressors available.

https://www.10westtactical.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DeputyCG,

Posts: 378 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I found a .gif with a cutaway and explanation devoted soley to the understanding of the P99 Anti-Stress trigger mechanism and P99 features. It is an enormous 1918x1241 so I will just include the link:
Anti-Stress trigger mechanism

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
The P99as I owned come with a 25 meter test target and the group size was less than 1.5". No doubt someone better than me was behind it. I really loved the gun and regret selling it.

It was easy to shoot accurately at speed. The extremely short trigger reset didn't hurt.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
The P99as I owned come with a 25 meter test target and the group size was less than 1.5". No doubt someone better than me was behind it. I really loved the gun and regret selling it.

It was easy to shoot accurately at speed. The extremely short trigger reset didn't hurt.

I wonder if that shooters last name was “Ransom” or “Rest”. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

I wonder if that shooters last name was “Ransom” or “Rest”. Wink

You know it. Big Grin

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cslinger you apparently never read Guns and Ammo as a kid. Every writer they had could shoot any gun, offhand, at 25 yards and shoot groups like that. Back then I just thought I was a bad shot. Now I still know I’m a bad shot but in addition I know that they were lying. Lol

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
ad could shoot any gun, offhand, at 25 yards and shoot groups like that. Back then I just thought I was a bad shot. Now I still know I’m a bad shot but in addition I know that they were lying. Lol

I remember one article where the writer was 2" low on a Moose at 100 yards with his handgun and was pissed. Yea.... right.

-- George Orwell

posted Hide Post
Between that and them never saying a harsh word about a gun in reviews I gave up on them decades ago.

Sad because I used to love G&A.

Edited to add: I really wish Walther hired a marketing department. The original P99 I own is a fantastic gun with no support or real improvements throughout its lifespan. I don’t think renaming it AS is an actual improvement. I think their striker design/concept is best of breed. Integrated into a marketable design it very nicely bridges a lot of the argument between hammer and striker. Ie, carried appendix I would “decock” the striker, carried owb or 4 o’clock I would carry it partially cocked as a normal striker. I’m sure I’m butchering the terms but you get my point. I love the ability to decock the striker and while not a hammer gun, it certainly brings all the safety that a hammer gun brings to the table in a striker. Options are nice.

Being able to buy different sights would be nice. Walther changing how the rear sight attaches was a nice kick in the nuts for early adapters. Lol

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I do remember all those awesome 25 yard groups. I just blew it off as a mans gotta know his limitations and I sure as heck am limited at 25+ yards. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post