SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got a P320, comparison to VP9/PPQ
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a P320, comparison to VP9/PPQ Login/Join 
posted
Finally got myself a P320. Went with the Carry version and really glad I did. It's virtually the same size at my P229. Quick thanks to Osage, they had a good price and were the only one I could find that had large Carry grip modules. They also shipped same day.

So I had to compare it to the VP9 and PPQ. At first, having the shorter barrel length definitely makes the VP9 and PPQ appear to be full sized pistols, not in between. But the the beaver tail on the SIG brings it to the same overall length as the other two.

Definitely a shorter slide!

The Carry is slightly taller than the other two, but not by much, and certainly makes me wonder why the other two are only 15 round capacity. Especially the VP9.

(Not an easy picture to get!)

Fit/finish. The design of the PPQ polymer looks a little cheaper to me than the other two, but simply by subjective appearance. If you're wondering what I mean, look at the trigger guard. The little reliefs in the corners just look cheap to me, but that's being very nit-picky. The PPQ has a lot going on with proof marks and model etchings. Dunno why they put the Walther in the middle of the front serrations, but I don't use them anyway. The VP9 would win fit/finish, except the one thing that kills me about the pistol: the mag release paddles don't sit flush to the trigger guard. They stick up enough that my finger gets poked by the left one when the trigger breaks. Don't tell me I have too much finger on the trigger, I have big hands and that's what works best for me. Unfortunately, it makes the VP9 not work well for me. Side note: I did contact HK CS about it and they were great. Sent me new paddles and spring, but it sat the same. I ended up taking a file to them to get them flush. The P320 had a tiny flap of polymer "burr" at the corner of the dustcover, but it came off with a fingernail. Rumor has it the Carry modules are cut-down Full-sized, not a separate mold, but aside from the flap, I couldn't tell. There are a couple mill marks on the underside of the slide, which you'll never see except when cleaning, so who cares? The make/model etching, serial number cutout and "Exeter, NH" are unobtrusive, which I really like.

I wasn't originally going to include this in fit/finish, but why not? The VP9 and PPQ have some slide to frame looseness. I can't call it slop, but for those that shake their guns to check for a rattle, the VP9 and PPQ are about even but the P320 has almost none. The VP9 has no barrel movement locked in battery, nor does the SIG. The PPQ has the very slightest movement, really barely discernible.

Grip: The VP9 grip feels best in my hand. The PPQ is close behind. The P320 doesn't feel bad, just there. It's one of the reasons I wasn't impressed with the P250 years ago. Better than a Glock, but nothing special either. The other two feel like they're shaping themselves to my hand. However, this changes when I add my support hand. I have large panels all around on the VP9, large back strap on the PPQ and changed to a large grip module on the P320. The VP9 offers the least real estate for my support hand. I shoot it wonderfully during slow fire, but lose it at speed. I suspect the lack of room for my support hand to play a big role there. My thumb also inevitably rests against or on the slide catch. The PPQ is alright, but also puts my thumb right at the catch. The P320 however, gives me the most room and keeps my thumb below the slide catch.

The stippling of the VP9 is the best. Feels grippy without being rough. The PPQ wasn't so good, so I put Talon rubberized on it. The P320 is a finer grit than either and will definitely be getting the Talon treatment.

The triggers. We all know the PPQ has arguably the best factory trigger out there. The light break is nice, and the reset is sweet. But there is a ton of slack to take up. Call it a two-stage trigger. The VP9 has less take up, but creeps a bit, then breaks. I'm gonna call it a three-stage trigger. Not a bad reset, just a touch mushy. The P320 is almost a one-stage. It certainly feels like a heavier pull than the VP9, but it's just a touch of slack, then the clean break. No creep, no mush. The reset is longer than the PPQ, so there's definitely over travel. And I now understand the double click dry-fire trigger with the magazine in (but not when it's out). Dunno what about the magazine being in that causes it, but it's not a concern to me either way.

Bore axis. Personally, I think bore axis is malarkey. "It's physics" they say! Forget the same physics are in play as it returns to battery and puts the pistol back to where it came from. Interestingly, on the P320, the slide is about the same height as the VP9 and shorter than the PPQ. But, the SIG does have more height in the grip frame/module with the beaver tail. This is why my thumb is below the slide catch for me. I like it.

Shooting. I just picked the P320 up, so I haven't shot mine yet. But I did rent one before and it shot great. I think someone dinked with the rental's sights to account for their flinch, cuz I grouped high right. My buddy rented it a week ago and said it grouped the same for him. The PPQ has a great predicable rise and fall and I shoot it quite nicely. Unfortunately, I put Mepro night sights (18801) on and now it shoots high. Still groups nicely. The VP9, as I said before is dead nuts during slow fire, but it tracks high and to the right at speed. If I death grip it, I can keep it level, but it has a side to side wiggle for me, which makes it hard to reacquire the sights quickly. Again, I theorize more support hand room would help.

Price. Hard to nail down as prices can vary depending on sales, demand, willingness of the shop to negotiate, etc.. At the prices I bought at, getting them to NS and 3 mags, they're all within a $25 range.

So which is the winner?

Well the VP9 has been pampered because I just can't use it well and I may decide to sell it. It's a fine pistol, just doesn't work well for me.

The PPQ actually replaced my P229 as my carry for a bit. Until I took it to the range in 40 degree weather and the striker bogged down, resulting in light primer strikes. I'm the second owner and the first used that damned frog lube, and apparently put it in the striker channel or assembly. I cleaned it and it was fine until New Years when I took it out sub 40 temps again and again had light primer strikes. Cleaned it a second time but I've totally lost faith in it for carry for now.

I don't have any trigger time behind this SIG, so I definitely need to find out if it is reliable with various ammo and if I shoot it as well as I did when I rented the FS. But I actually like that the trigger pull is heavier than the PPQ. I get a touch nervous holstering the PPQ. I'm used to the P229 where I can keep my thumb on the hammer. I feel like I'm holstering a cocked P229 with the PPQ. I think the P320 will give me the trigger resistance to know something is amiss before an ND occurs. Not that there's any rush to holster or substitute for simply paying attention to what you're doing.

Ultimately, I'm really hoping the P320 takes over the EDC role from my P229. But judgement is reserved until I have a good deal of trigger time with this particular one. I also hope it will take over the SP2022 as my go-to 3-gun option. I just really hope someone starts to make aftermarket grip modules. Until I shoot it for a while, the jury is still out.

TLDR: just look at a few pics!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Appreciate your take on three. But of the three the SIG is my least favorite. I've complained about the trigger action on my 320 in the past, though with use I've gotten more used to my gun's 'habits'. All have more upright grip angles than my comfort-zone Glocks, but the SIG is more annoying to me than the other two, while the HK is the most likable.

I shoot the HK the best out of the three, and do like its shooting and operational traits more so than the other two. I agree with you that the PPQ's polymer exudes a more chintzy aura than either the SIG or HK, but in general for me poly is poly (except when it attempts to mimic Play-Doh on FNs when the hot sun is beating down on it).

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
makes me wonder why the other two are only 15 round capacity. Especially the VP9.

Because its HK. Mag capacity is not their strong suit.

Good comparison. I only have the ppq of the three, and still believe it would be my favorite. But i do love options

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good pics and comparison. I used to own the PPQ and choose that over the VP9 after a few hundred rounds shooting both. VP9 was nice but the trigger was better on the PPQ and I did like the slightly smaller size.

I ended up selling my PPQ once I got the 320 and put rounds down range. While the PPQ trigger is lighter, I really preferred the shorter take up on the 320. I totally agree with your assessment of the PPQ & VP9 triggers. The PPQ is a good shooter and very accurate and overall a pretty nice gun, but I'm just better with the 320 and prefer the "feel" of the trigger. The PPQ also can be a bit snappy and was more noticeable shooting one handed, especially my weak hand.

My 320 did actually take over my edc from my 229 mainly because I feel like I am shooting the classic P-series sigs with a lighter 320. Very similar ergos, and just as accurate for me in a lighter and more flexible package with the sc/c set up.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drank the kool-aid and bought my P320 first, and then I picked up a 5" target PPQ.
I would of never bought the Sig if I bought my PPQ first.

The P320 feels like a block in my hand, the ergo's or lack of leave a lot to be desired. The PPQs ergo's are in a league of their own, it's like a craftsman carved them. It's still a slick wet noodle in my hand though which why I have a talon grip on mine. My P320's trigger feels like a stiff sponge which is mediocre to me.

While the PPQ does have some take up as noted I find it a far superior trigger to the P320.
Also as noted I do find the PPQ to have more muzzle flip compared to the P320, but it's not anything unmanageable. I find the P320 grip modules cheap feeling, but that's to be expected a little.

Posts: 472 | Location: Montgomery County, PA | Registered: December 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have all three pistols and have shot the PPQ quite a bit, the HK VP 9 not so much, and I am now shooting the Sig 320. All pistols are in 9mm.
This is what I have found with the pistols. The HK VP 9 simply does not fit my hand. I use a thumbs forward grip and my support hand thumb is either being abrasively ground by the take down lever or riding on top of the slide lock lever preventing slide lock on the last shot.
The PPQ is a fine pistol and I like it a lot. It has trigger that is light and nice. However, I abandon it for two reasons. One is that it gives too much muzzle flip. The second reason is that both Hickock 45 and Massad Ayoob have said the trigger might be too light for an EDC.
So I made the recent purchase of the Sig 320. I have to say at this point I am an old 1911 and Glock shooter. I find the ergonomics on the Sig 320 to be outstanding and the trigger to offer a clean smooth brisk break making it an out standing trigger. The ergonomics beat the snot out of the Glock and the trigger makes a Glock look like two cents worth of dog poo. It is the Sig 320 for me. It is my Excalibur and I have been looking for a long time!! You could not ask for more from a pistol.

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to add that the slide lock on the PPQ is too long making it easy for your thumb to ride on it and prevent slide lock. At least it was for me. It was also manufactured with a defect that has been corrected and that is a weak magazine button spring. ( Go to the Walther Forum and under PPQ read the thread " Unintentional Magazine Release" started by me under the name Barbarian)

posted Hide Post
I will add one more criticism of the PPQ. I do not like the triangular slide with the sharp ridges in the rear. It is harder to clear jams and do a tap rap bang with. Just me and just saying.
For me it is the 320!!

Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Good write-up, I've had all three, still have my PPQ. I don't think the PPQ is all that but I do prefer it over the 320 and VP9.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
The VP9 would win fit/finish, except the one thing that kills me about the pistol: the mag release paddles don't sit flush to the trigger guard. They stick up enough that my finger gets poked by the left one when the trigger breaks.

You can do what I did. Take a little emory cloth and slowly go back and forth over the area that bothers your finger. Shortly it will be smoothed out and may solve your problem.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ergonomics of the SIG P320 with the medium grip module are excellent for me. The pistol points naturally and comes back on target in a very predictable fashion. For carry purposes, I would not want the trigger any lighter, and I do feel that the trigger pull on the PPQ is too light for my comfort level. I prefer the reset of the P320 trigger to that of the VP9. It just feels more positive and less susceptible to short stroking.

The VP9 was comfortable to hold and shoot with the exception of the paddle magazine release, and I had the same issue with my trigger finger which hurt before I finished the second magazine. I am reluctant to buy a new pistol that I have to take a Dremel, files, or emory cloth to in order to render it usable. I was able to shoot the VP9 by holding my finger unnaturally high (for me) on the trigger, but I'm sure it detracted from my performance with this pistol. And I did notice a clockwise torque effect to the recoil which I found peculiar. I suppose I could adapt to it, but I prefer a pistol with which the muzzle rises straight up and comes straight back down. The VP9 also has the same height as the P320 carry model, with 2 rounds less magazine capacity.

The PPQ is a fine pistol, but I do agree that it has more muzzle flip than I expected, and the trigger pull is just too light for me to be comfortable with it as a self-defense piece. If I bought a polymer-frame, striker-fired Walther it would have to be the DA/SA P99 AS.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comparison. The trigger paddle release looks like it would take some practice. Looks very counter intuitive after a life time of standard releases. That would concern me if I were contemplating a switch.

Posts: 383 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the same comparison today at a local store. The salesman was very helpful and set up the VP9 and PPQ with the small grip panels at my request. I didn't get to shoot, but had plenty of time to get a good feel for the grip sizes and triggers. It was a tough choice between the VP9 and PPQ. They are really similar. I ended up buying the VP9.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SilverWolf
posted Hide Post
Posted in earlier thread: Sent our two P320Carrys to Mr. Burke,THE SIG armorer for action work, etc. Awesome! Worth every $. Have a CMORE RTS2 on mine. Double taps through same hole! Big Grin

Posts: 2425 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post