SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A note regarding J-Frame quality
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A note regarding J-Frame quality Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I took my 642-1 J-frame apart to give it a good cleaning and lubrication after having carried it in my pocket daily for a number of years. Despite the mild but entertaining aggravation learning how to put it back together (not as easy as taking it apart), I was impressed with the quality of the design, machining, and metals used. My gun has a MIM trigger and bolt, but the quality is still there. This gun does not have the stupid lock, which is why I bought it, I absolutely hate, hate, hate those holes.

Anyway, in spite of the stupidity of S&W putting key holes in the middle of their side plates, my hat is off to them for quality in their revolvers. Particularly their revolvers from their Performance shop. I've fondled those Performance Center revolvers in gun stores, and I'm impressed.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I need to buy another j-frame.
I had a 642, but sold when I bought my LCP.
Looking to buy another 642/442 or Ruger LCR.

As far as S&W goes, I only own 2 revolvers.
Both are 686+ that were sent to S&W PS for polishing and the Master Revolver Action Package..... Big Grin

I've owned a few other S&W revolvers (3" Model 29, 4" 625 JM, 3" 625 model of 1989) but ended selling them.
Not because there was anything wrong with them, I just wanted to buy something else.

The ILS has never bothered me.
I don't use it and it has never failed me.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I have one J frame that I carry in the hot summer months and it's a Pre Model 36. They are well made and function as they should. It has a set of stocks that have been altered and they work fine.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
I need to buy another j-frame.
I had a 642, but sold when I bought my LCP.
Looking to buy another 642/442 or Ruger LCR.

As far as S&W goes, I only own 2 revolvers.
Both are 686+ that were sent to S&W PS for polishing and the Master Revolver Action Package..... Big Grin

I've owned a few other S&W revolvers (3" Model 29, 4" 625 JM, 3" 625 model of 1989) but ended selling them.
Not because there was anything wrong with them, I just wanted to buy something else.

The ILS has never bothered me.
I don't use it and it has never failed me.

I used to call the ILS the Hillary Hole, but had to stop using that term because of the unimaginable horror. So now I just call it "that damned hole".

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:

the Hillary Hole

Please don't use that term. I find it offensive. Maybe as offensive as describing Rosie's orifice. The stench would seem to be too much for us common folk.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Mass hole

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Everyone needs at least one J-frame.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I was going to buy a 640 pro, for shits and giggles I tried a Ruger LCR.

There really wasn't even a comparison that Ruger made the Smith & Wesson it's bitch.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I upgraded the springs on my 638 and 642 to Wilson Combat J-frame springs. When I took apart the revolvers to replace the stock springs, I took the opportunity to disable the nanny locks and took a closer look at the build quality. They are well made revolvers, but the lacquer finish on the frame sucks. With so many better options available, a factory ceracote or melonite on steel parts makes a lot of sense.

After some break in time and about 500 rounds of remington 135 gr wadcutters, the trigger pulls are around 9lbs DA and a 2.5 lbs s/a pull on the 638.

I have other technically better carry options, but a 642 with CT laser grips and 2 speed loaders is a go-to for ne during summer. A G26 with an extra mag is tough to beat too, but can't be pocket carried.

Posts: 712 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Occasionally I will think that, then I take my LCR out to the range and the notion immediately goes away. Fugly as the Ruger may be, they just shoot better and more pleasantly for me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Try a Kimber K6. You will throw rocks at a J-frame after you do.

And I agree that the LCR is a superior 5 shot to any new S&W. We sell 4 Rugers to every S&W at our shop. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I love my S&W 638, it is pre-hole, has a trijicon tritium tube inserted in the front sight, and a trigger job. I bought it new around 2002.

I thought about adding the new Colt snubby to my meager herd, but then I asked myself why? The 638 as fitted out does everything I need a small revolver for, and it does that job exceptionally well.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Occasionally I will think that, then I take my LCR out to the range and the notion immediately goes away. Fugly as the Ruger may be, they just shoot better and more pleasantly for me.

For clarity, I should have said "J-frame sized" revolver.

Be it S&W, Colt, or Ruger. Wink

For me, the size difference is a factor between the LCR and S&W (have access to both). I can't pocket the LCR due to the grip size, so that would mean IWB, and if I'm doing that I'll just carry a Glock. But a S&W J with Hogue boot size grip just disappears in the pocket or ankle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I wish I never sold my model 60 snub nose.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With regard to LCR vs. J-frame...Personal preference. I tried both, and immediately went with the J-frame. The LCR's trigger may have been lighter, but I didn't like the trigger return; I like more "oomph" than the LCR had for quick DA revolver shooting. Both of my 642s have factory springs, though my no-dash did have a trigger job done. But the LCR is a good gun for those who like it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Try a Kimber K6. You will throw rocks at a J-frame after you do.

Yeah, those K6s do feel great in hand. And their triggers right out of the box are darn nice. I'm not sure I'd want to shoot 357MAG through one, but I'd definitely love to try the Kimber with 38s. Kinda heavy, though.

The Cobras that we got in are definitely lacking in the finishing department, but the triggers seem pretty good. It would be more of a contender in the market if it were $200 less, but it's still one I'd like to shoot along with the K6.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My S&W 637 is the TALO model from their Performance Center. Great little gun.

First time at the range I did the usual shooting at 3, 5 and 10 yards. No issue with any of the loads I ran especially the Hornady 110gr Critical Defense rounds.

Pushed a fresh target back to 25 yards. Aimed at the x-ring center mass and squeezed off a round single action. A guy was standing behind me watching and started to clap as I was pulling the target in. The silhouette had a hole right between the eyes. Need to practice more at 25 yards.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
I miss my old 640, it was a great back up gun. But I agree with the OP... I will never, under any circumstances ever give S&W one cent of my money on a revolver that has that damnable, stupid, Clinton-sell out, idiotic hole drilled in the side. It's moronic beyond belief, more unnecessary than the Department of Education and adds about as much to the firearms world as Tex Grebner.

That S&W simply CANNOT see that that worthless lock has, amongst revolver lovers, a lower poll rating than Maxine Waters blows my mind. It's like Harley Davidson welding a huge mount on the back of their bikes with a boat anchor and chain permanently attached to help you stop in an emergency. Yes, it's that stupid....

Posts: 801 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, considering the company (Saf-T-Hammer) that last bought S&W (and still owns them) is the very same company that MAKES those damnable infernal locks...instant job security for all of their existing employees.

Or something like that.