SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Slapping the trigger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slapping the trigger Login/Join 
posted
I wsa just watching a promo video for the Wilson EDC X9. Bill Wilson, no slouch at shooting, is slapping the hell out of the trigger. Finger coming out of the trigger guard with every shot, then coming back down on the trigger, instead of riding it to reset and pressing again.

I remember Rob Leatham saying something about "just slap the hell out of the trigger," but at the same time, Leatham cleans up with anything he shoots, in any discipline and can probably do and get away with a whole lot more than most any of us.

Thoughts on slapping the trigger? I don't, largely because it's challenging enough for me to stay on it and keep my place, and still hit reliably, let alone slap it...but it does seeem to work for some experienced shooters. I'm guessing that if trigger control is so well ingrained as it is to shooters at that level, perhaps the way the trigger is approached doesn't matter as much.

Looking at another video of Bill Wilson doing is "New Bill Drill," he has some slow motion of the shots, and it looks like while his finger comes far off the trigger, there's a very deliberate return and press, rather than a slap. I'm interested in other's thoughts on the subject.

https://youtu.be/sijipZriMz8

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
This is the one bad habit that I most correct when shooters ask for help at the range. I always attributed it the high number of trap and skeet shooters that I come into contact with. Pistols and shotguns require a different trigger discipline for most shooters. Experts can perhaps get away with this but not occasional shooters. Trigger slapping is bad juju for most folks.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
There's a fine line between slapping and gently smacking. Big Grin

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I learned on pistols and then went to shotguns. Sporting clays folks are surprised at how fast you can shoot a true pair if you are not slapping and actually waiting for reset and re-pulling the trigger. I have been accused of having the gun double fire on me but with 2 broken targets the proof is out there.

The trap guys and skeet guys seem to slap the worst, I wonder if that is how so many end up with release triggers

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do what works for you.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
Wow... Mr. Wilson has skills way beyond mine. I have enough challenges without introducing another potential to push left with my… stealing this from blume9mm… booger hook.

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The essence of pistol shooting is aligning the sights then causing the pistol to fire without disturbing the sights alignment
There are essentially 2 ways to do it:
Carefully apply controlled trigger pressure to discharge
Or
Have such a secure grip that no matter poorly you slap the triggerthe gun doesn’t move

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can grip the gun like Bill Wilson or Rob Leatham you can do whatever you want with the trigger.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If the front sight doesn't move it shouldn't matter how hard you slap the trigger. Those guys are pretty good at what they do.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
Teach new shooters to pull the trigger straight to the rear without disturbing the sights. Then teach them to do it fast. Then teach them to do it faster. It's not hard, just requires dry fire practice. Prepping the trigger, riding resets, etc makes shit more difficult and creates training scars that are difficult to undo.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its true. People get there in different ways. Rob Leatham and Phil Hemphill are both great at what they do despite their respective technique being quite a bit different.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met Rob Leatham at an open house here in SC for a range day. He was doing some demonstrations and BTW VERY friendly and approachable. He showed one of his competition guns with a "1LB Trigger". He said he likes to just tap it.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
If you can grip the gun like Bill Wilson or Rob Leatham you can do whatever you want with the trigger.

That. I know a few extremely competitive GM shooters that do most of the national and area matches. One of them is like that. His grip is so solid that it really doesn't matter how the trigger is pulled, as long as it's pulled.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:
There's a fine line between slapping and gently smacking. Big Grin

One leaves a red mark......lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot a Makarov. Russian trigger slap you.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
In my very humble experience, I find that trigger control is a part ( and a pretty major part), of accurate shooting, but not the entire picture. As has been stated, if you have a rock solid grip, you can get away with less precise trigger prep and pull. Also if I am shooting a 5 yard open target, I can get away with a pretty sloppy pull, ( and just generally pointing the gun), but on a 20 yard no-shoot target, I will prep and pull.
Grip matters, but also the difficultly of the shot. Great shooters make this adjustment unconsciously , while I have to plan and tell myself to do so

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Jerry Miculek comes off the trigger every shot also, when shooting semi-autos. He does okay.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
This is the one bad habit that I most correct when shooters ask for help at the range. I always attributed it the high number of trap and skeet shooters that I come into contact with. Pistols and shotguns require a different trigger discipline for most shooters. Experts can perhaps get away with this but not occasional shooters. Trigger slapping is bad juju for most folks.

I saw the interview with Wilson and just cringed every time he slapped it. Don’t care who slaps the trigger I am not going to do it. I will watch Jerry a little closer and don’t care what Leatham does. Anymore the Static shoots like the bianchi cup look like karate to me, very structured, unchanging, mega tricked out guns go for it, glad people can make a living that way.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Watching slow motion video of Jerry, he brings his finger slightly off the trigger on the return but he also begins prepping it immediately while the gun is in recoil. The trigger press is still controlled, just fast.
That's not slapping the trigger to me. It looks like, to shoot as many types of guns as he does quickly and consistently, he's honed a technique that works across the board and that includes coming hard and fast off the trigger press so that he can begin prepping quicker.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Watching slow motion video of Jerry, he brings his finger slightly off the trigger on the return but he also begins prepping it immediately while the gun is in recoil. The trigger press is still controlled, just fast.
That's not slapping the trigger to me. It looks like, to shoot as many types of guns as he does quickly and consistently, he's honed a technique that works across the board and that includes coming hard and fast off the trigger press so that he can begin prepping quicker.

Thanks for that had to be, can’t shoot that quickly otherwise and over a range of different triggers. I never ever did slap but doing controlled pairs forces one to prep the trigger and one quickly learns where the trigger breaks, how much to take up. Shooting revolvers double action while different mechanically teaches one where the trigger breaks if you can pause and hold it just before it breaks. I am about to put straight triggers on most of my handguns will see how that changes things up as most afford shorter reset and movement needed.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post