SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Honor Guard 9mm.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honor Guard 9mm. Login/Join 
Picture of 00464b
posted
Anyone here have one? If so, what's your take on it?

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The reviews I've read sounded good but they are basically a Shield clone.
Shields can be had now for about $225 after the rebate, about $200 less.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The ones I've fondled at my FFL seem very solidly built. I thought I was handling an all metal gun. Trigger is a little stiff, though.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Comes with only a two year warranty last I read while pistols like the PPS and Shield have lifetime warranty.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
It's neat to see another American manufacturer get into the game. The ergos are good and the frame texture is the best feature of the gun. Soft recoil for its size due to weight. No malfunctions with mine in roughly 800rnds. Barrel finish is weak but my trigger settled around 6.5lbs. All in all not a bad gun but I'd take the G43 over it every time.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The one positive I see about this gun, for anyone who owns a P320, is that in design, it seem very much like what a P320 single stack would be. It has the removable FCU, the non-tabbed trigger, etc., all very similar to the P320 design. So if someone owned a P320, but wanted a single stack version, that SIG has yet to make, they should probably at least give this gun a once over.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The one positive I see about this gun, for anyone who owns a P320, is that in design, it seem very much like what a P320 single stack would be. It has the removable FCU, the non-tabbed trigger, etc., all very similar to the P320 design. So if someone owned a P320, but wanted a single stack version, that SIG has yet to make, they should probably at least give this gun a once over.

That's where I'm at. Wish Sig would come up with one.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I got to handle one of these yesterday. I have to say, I wasn't wild about the trigger. It was pretty stiff, and break was just okay.

Maybe they need to go to school on the P320's trigger and copy that.

Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I got to handle one of these yesterday. I have to say, I wasn't wild about the trigger. It was pretty stiff, and break was just okay.

Maybe they need to go to school on the P320's trigger and copy that.

That so far has been the only real negative I've seen so far. But I think, like the P320, you could have the trigger reworked to take some of the grittyness out and have a decent single stack shooter.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Likely. But as of yet, this is not a high volume gun. I'm sure you could find a smith who would try to do what you're talking about. But likely it would be the first time he's tuning that brand. I doubt there's anyone making a specialty of it yet.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Good to know about the trigger. I thought about bringing a couple or three to see how they might do but then S&W went and had their silly Shield 1.0 going-away celebration. And one of the distributors had a big Taurus 709 blowout. Yes I know it's Taurus but the dealer cost was mind-blowing irresistible, leading to a sub-$200 floor price.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
And it's not particularly cheap. The prices I was seeing were $450-ish. I would NOT take it over a Shield for that.

Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to fondle one today. Well balanced,solid feeling. IMHO, trigger to me did not feel as bad as some seem to think. I know you can buy a single stack 9mm for less, but I don't think it's out of line for what you're getting.

Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
So....... I bought one today. Does it have the trigger of a P320 or PPS,no but in dry firing this afternoon, good for a defensive pistol. Very well built. Range time later in the week. Can't wait.

Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested in what you think after your range session. I like to support local companies, but the couple I've picked up had triggers that were worse than most. I guess I could always stop off at their office if I had an issue, but the Glock facility is closer.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charlier26
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for over a year now, and after polishing some internals, it has a very pleasant trigger.

Posts: 19 | Registered: December 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlier26:
I've had mine for over a year now, and after polishing some internals, it has a very pleasant trigger.

That's what I was thinking. Internals don't look much different from the P320. If you don't mind me asking, about how many rounds do you have thru yours?

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I got one of the first, without the FIST. I had some initial problems, but when I contacted Honor Defense, they were nothing but quick, professional, and even apologetic; they sent me a replacement barrel at no cost to me.

Since then, I've put a few hundred rounds through it. I read and heard that it really needs a break-in of about 1,000 rounds. The online review I saw said the test model they were using had over 6,000 rounds through it.

My experience is that the trigger is truly stiff. I couldn't get on target seemingly forever with it. Then I got a sight stand and found that it was me and not the gun. :-/

It fits the holster I got for my XD-s 9mm perfectly. Honor Defense admits they made it as a competitor to both the Shield and the XD-s.

My only gripe with it is that the trigger is so stiff that I wind up with trigger finger blisters if I shoot too many rounds at a single trip to the range. To resolve this, I bought some very lightweight sport gloves.

So, it's not ready to be my EDC, but then again, I don't EDC my XD-s, either. I keep a P938 for that! Smile

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I got one of the first, without the FIST. I had some initial problems, but when I contacted Honor Defense, they were nothing but quick, professional, and even apologetic; they sent me a replacement barrel at no cost to me.

Since then, I've put a few hundred rounds through it. I read and heard that it really needs a break-in of about 1,000 rounds. The online review I saw said the test model they were using had over 6,000 rounds through it.

My experience is that the trigger is truly stiff. I couldn't get on target seemingly forever with it. Then I got a sight stand and found that it was me and not the gun. :-/

It fits the holster I got for my XD-s 9mm perfectly. Honor Defense admits they made it as a competitor to both the Shield and the XD-s.

My only gripe with it is that the trigger is so stiff that I wind up with trigger finger blisters if I shoot too many rounds at a single trip to the range. To resolve this, I bought some very lightweight sport gloves.

So, it's not ready to be my EDC, but then again, I don't EDC my XD-s, either. I keep a P938 for that! Smile

What "internal problems" did you encounter to have the barrel replaced?

Picture of Charlier26
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. Internals don't look much different from the P320. If you don't mind me asking, about how many rounds do you have thru yours?[/QUOTE]

I took mine to our Florida home, so it isn't being used as much now....but it had about 600 rounds when I took it there. I had one of the earliest ones, and Gary at Honor Defense showed me at the NRA convention that they had changed the striker block assembly's vendor, and the newer one has much smoother surfaces (and a different finish). He gave me one and the pull is smoother on it. I polished the striker itself, where it contacts the block, and it is a very nice trigger now.

Charlie

Posts: 19 | Registered: December 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post