SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need help removing Beretta 92a1 front sight - it’s staked from underneath
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help removing Beretta 92a1 front sight - it’s staked from underneath Login/Join 
Picture of Sea Bass
posted
Title says it all - got a new Dawson fiber optic front sight and I can’t remove the stock one, the son of a gun is staked from the bottom. How do people remove these? I have a BFH and punches but it ain’t budging. I’d hate to send the slide out to someone like Allegheny Gun Works and have a pro do it.
Thanks,
SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1640 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
How are you going to install the new one if the slide isn't already dovetailed?

I have a 1911 with a staked front sight, and if I remove it, I would have to stake another one in its place. There isn't a dovetail for me to work with.

If there is a dovetail, I'd drill the staking from the inside, tap the old sight out, and install the new one.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
It’s dovetailed but also a nub (for lack of a better word) sticking out from the bottom of the sight sitting into a hole cut out in the slide. It’s a little redundant in my opinion. Frankly not sure how they got it in there.

I’m honestly thinking of grinding it down and drilling it out.

SB

Posts: 1640 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just send it in, unless you want to risk bubba-ing that beautiful pistol

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
It isnt staked, just a tight dovetail, I have removed and changed sights on several 92A1's it is a pretty conventional operation.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The FS on my 92A1 isn't staked. It's just sitting there in the mortise slot. Snug, but still just friction fitted.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
Ok I think you all have helped me better understand the situation-I agree staked isn’t the right word. So with a tight friction fit, I should be able to drive it out with a punch and large hammer, right? I’ve had some stubborn sights before but I whaled on this pretty good and it didn’t budge...all I did was nick up the front sight. I even heated it up with my heat gun and it didn’t budge. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
SB

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I know nothing about the gun or sight you’re asking about, perhaps there’s something about yours that’s different from what others are familiar with. Posting a good clear photo of the “nub” at the bottom of the sight might be useful.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, too, a device like a sight adjustment tool would work better than a hammer and punch.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is exactly why I purchased a good sight pusher. The big MGW one. Get thevpusher blade as low as possible and break it loose.

It’s a good investment if you can’t find someone with one. You want the big sight pro model. Not the little specific model. The bigger one has a lot more horsepower due to the way it holds the slide in place.

BFH only goes so far before it gets dicey. Personally I find it’s not the hammer as much as it is the vice. You really really need a solid stable vice. Just don’t crimp the slide. Hence the sight pro.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sea Bass: I’d hate to send the slide out to someone like Allegheny Gun Works and have a pro do it.
Thanks,
SB

That's exactly what I had done with mine. Had my LGS try a few different pushers and nothing worked.
Took it to AGW and he got it off and put my new sights in.
You'd have to send it in though, I drove as he's a little over an hour away. Good luck, that front sight is a bitch sometimes.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
Success! Well my cheap workbench vise wasn’t securely holding the slide so I devised a new way to clamp it in there so it didn’t move. It was tight but the sight came out, pretty conventional as others have stated.
SB

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
It's also tapered and directional. Drive out right to left and install left to right

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
You are exactly right with the directional thing...I’m sure at one point I was pushing it in tighter instead of out. I read online where it was directional.

SB

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
This is exactly why I purchased a good sight pusher. The big MGW one. Get thevpusher blade as low as possible and break it loose.

It’s a good investment if you can’t find someone with one. You want the big sight pro model. Not the little specific model. The bigger one has a lot more horsepower due to the way it holds the slide in place.

BFH only goes so far before it gets dicey. Personally I find it’s not the hammer as much as it is the vice. You really really need a solid stable vice. Just don’t crimp the slide. Hence the sight pro.

I have a Beretta PX4 compact that absolutely won't budge with an MGW sight pro. It is putting a tremendous amount of torque on there but it will not move.All the other pistols I have used it on slid off like they were buttered.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

I have a Beretta PX4 compact that absolutely won't budge with an MGW sight pro. It is putting a tremendous amount of torque on there but it will not move.All the other pistols I have used it on slid off like they were buttered.

If you have non nite sights. Try putting the slide in the freezer for a few hours and then beating on the front sight.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post