SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinner grips than stock Legion's?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinner grips than stock Legion's? Login/Join 
posted
I just got a 229 Legion (with a Romeo 1). I like the feel of the G10 grips, but they are big for me. Are there any grips that are thinner? How do the Hogue Checkered and Piranha compare?

Thanks!

Steve Vinson

Posts: 11 | Location: IN | Registered: December 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skvinson:
I just got a 229 Legion (with a Romeo 1). I like the feel of the G10 grips, but they are big for me. Are there any grips that are thinner? How do the Hogue Checkered and Piranha compare?

Thanks!

They will be the same.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E2s are the thinnest.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would take thinner over G10. I'm not as familiar with the E2s. Are those only from Sig, or do other companies make them?

Steve Vinson

Posts: 11 | Location: IN | Registered: December 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I would take thinner over G10. I'm not as familiar with the E2s. Are those only from Sig, or do other companies make them?

E2 = Enhanced Ergonomic.
Only from SIG. It's a one-piece-no-screw snap-on grip. Thin and gives you great traction.

E2 Grip Kit

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced my E2 grips with G10 on one of my pistols. The E2 grips that came with the gun never fit properly.

I am comfortable with both grips and my hands are not huge. My Sig 226 has the E2 grips.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The base gun, or Nitron versions come with the E2 grips. They are not only thin, but also reduces the reach to the trigger. Very good feel to them, with a grip tape texture.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do the E2 grips work on a 229 Legion?

Steve Vinson

posted Hide Post

The E2 grips would need to be trimmed down to fit the slide release/lock.The E2 are not that much thinner. I personally would not change the grips.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would call Sig on that one, the beaver tail I did not account for...

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks!

If you take your magazine out and look up into the empty mag well you will see that the grips on the P229 are about as thin as you can get.
Most of the width is because the wide mag well is necessary to accommodate the double stack magazine.
I doubt that you will find anything any thinner.

Posts: 105 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A short trigger might be your best option, if the E2s don't work out

Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
E2 grips will work on the Legion just fine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sent you an email.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do the various aluminum grips compare?

Steve Vinson

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do the various aluminum grips compare?

Same as G10, in terms of dimensions.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
quote:

The base gun, or Nitron versions come with the E2 grips. They are not only thin, but also reduces the reach to the trigger. Very good feel to them, with a grip tape texture.
The Hogue G10s also reduce the reach to the trigger.

I also have small hands and for me I prefer the Hogue G10s with the Gray Guns intermediate trigger. I used to use the Sig short reach trigger, but I am in the process of switching all my short triggers to the GG intermediate trigger.

Also I tried the E2 grips and felt the G10s worked better for me. YMMV!!!

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the E2 grips to be too slick and did nothing to improve reach. Again, YMMV

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best bet OP, go to a gun store and pick one up and feel for yourself. Which is what I would have hoped you did with the Legion...

posted Hide Post
I've got a set of used E2's on the way (Thanks Factor8!). I've seen different opinions about how each feels. I'll let you know 'how my mileage varies.'

Also, I have a Gray's straight trigger on it. Not sure how that is impacting things...

Steve Vinson