SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P210 safety operation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P210 safety operation Login/Join 
posted
Just picked up a like-new P210 Target. I owned a Legend previously, so I was full of P210 love. Overall, the gun certainly met expectations. But...the 1911 style thumb safety is incredibly difficult to put up/on-safe. Like almost impossible to consistently do so with one thumb underneath it. Down/off-safe is no problem. Stiff enough to feel safe, yet the shape and size is good. Any thoughts/suggestions, besides keep using it to break it in ?

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 162 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Might want to take off the grip panel and give the contact area a little grease? Other than that, you probably will need to keep flipping it.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the 210 is clearly geared towards a target pistol and not a self defense firearm, I don't see a problem that the pistol is a little harder (may take adjustment of grip or two hands) to put the safety on.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
OldLawman, I'm in the same boat. I can't put the safety back on just using my thumb. I did grease the contact point, but after 2 1/2 years the safety has not changed.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Funny I much prefer a stiff safety and that is one of the reasons I actually like the new 210. I have shot some guns in the past that had weak safeties and it always felt like they could activate too easily when shooting or worse yet perhaps, come off when you want them to stay on. I agree there is a sweet spot though. If it can’t be activated without a great deal of pressure then that’s aggravating.

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The safety lever of my P226 X5 Comp is excellent. Very positive detents, yet easy to flip to either position without shifting my grip. Its detent mechanism is a spring tensioned cam.

I’ve often wondered if the P210A had a similar safety detent mechanism. Apparently not. Q’s photo pretty much confirms that it doesn’t.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P220 SAO safety was pretty hard to manipulate too. I worked it over and over a few thousand times while sitting and watching TV. Works fine now.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Interesting - I just picked up a Used P210A and have not had any issues but now after reading this I tried it and sure enough - Off No Problem - On a little more effort - After about 5 times I was weakening. My Sig 1911 Ultra has much better leverage and no issues. Then my RIA 22TCM is like butter on/off.

Not any issues and I think I like the P210 like it is - I just never thought about it till reading this post. Funny how that works.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've found that to one-hand my P210's safety on, I have to shift my grip considerably for my thumb to bring enough force to bear.

I'd hoped that, after a few range sessions, a few clean & lubes, and operating it every time I do a dry-fire session it would become a bit easier. Nope.

It disengages easily. Just right. Has from Day One.

I don't have this problem with any of my three 1911s.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if a tweaked/slightly cut/lighter spring for the detent would work. It and the detent are retained in the safety by a roll pin.

Posts: 162 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just tested my P210A, and have no trouble snicking the safety both ways as fast as my thumb will swipe. I do have the armory craft G10 grips, and it's possible they are slightly more narrow at the very top near the safety, giving my thumb more room to engage (but not completely sure if this is the explanation).

Interestingly, almost everyone also complained about the safety on the original P210. But I never had trouble with that one, either -- my fingers are longer than average, and my thumb easily made it to that forward-mounted safety. Not quite as fast as the P210A, but still very respectable. On the other hand, long fingers also means that the HK P7 can never be a practical pistol for me -- I tried for a long time, but the geometry just doesn't work.

Posts: 466 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am running the Armory Craft G-10 grips. Still doesn't help. Neither does my short thumb.