SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooters are the new golfers. Trying to buy skill.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooters are the new golfers. Trying to buy skill. Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Those mods don't make you a better shot, but t it can make your gun a better shooter.

We don't want our guns to limit our future potential. Yea that's it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
I'm guilty of this. I used my carry handgun (DA/SA) in IDPA for a couple of years and then decided to send it to Grayguns for their carry treatment.

I maybe picked up a little accuracy in IPDA, but probably it just smoothed out the first (DA) trigger pull so I was less mentally focused on it, and more focused on consistency in the stage. The reduced re-set may have helped my time a little too, but there was not a dramatic gain in skill or result.

Regardless, the Grayguns money was (IMO) well spent as I enjoy shooting it more now.

After I got my gun back from Grayguns my groups tightened, and the pleasure of shooting it increased. Like the difference between driving a family minivan and a BMW. I doubt that was a placebo thing.

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I am a trigger snob and freely admit it. Big Grin

We must share a common ancestor. I'm worse - I'm a fine gun slob without a fine gun budget - the height of gun slob arrogance.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
It's not mutually exclusive to improve yourself and improve your gun.

I knew a guy that had only one shotgun, but he was the best wing and dove shot I've ever seen. And it was a bone stock Remington auto, nothing more. It was the only shotgun he ever shot, and if he was competition minded he could have shot in Sporting Clays Master class. He shot that gun so much that the gas housing separated from the barrel, and he was looking for someone to weld the damn thing back on. One time the gun jammed because it was so dirty, so he hit the bolt catch with his foot to drive it open. It was funny watching him curse that gun. But he was the best shot in our little club, which had more than one Master class competitor, some of whom shot some very expensive customized guns.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Also see- The sights were off on this gun because it keeps hitting low left and I am a right handed shooter.

Took me two years to learn to pull the trigger without moving the gun. After that, I never needed adjustable sights again.

I put LPA adjustable sights on every pistol I bought when I first started shooting. The ultimate pistol shooter's "fix my horn, my brakes don't work" solution.

Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who finds Golf boring? I mean, really boring.........like long range rifle shooting boring. Smile

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Also see- The sights were off on this gun because it keeps hitting low left and I am a right handed shooter.
Mine too. I think maybe there were a whole bunch of pistols produced on the assembly line, when the machinery was not calibrated properly. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
The list of magical weapons goes back to the stone ages. Why should the desire to own one have changed?

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I recently bought two used SIGs from members here. They have both been to Robert Burke.
  • A P245. The trigger, especially DA, bought also to a lesser extent SA, was heavy, I mean really, really, heavy. Way heavier than my P228 or P239. The trigger was so heavy that my holes were all over the paper. More of a random splatter than a group. After tapping the wisdom of the pistol forum here, I sent the P245 to Robert Burke for carry (not competition) work. It came back much improved. I couldn't be happier. I now shoot it reasonably well; the limitations are now mine, not the pistol's. I don't shoot it well enough to be a serious competitor, whether IDPA, bulls-eye, etc., but I feel that I am certainly competent for SD use, which is my purpose for this pistol.

• The P938 that I bought from another forum member had been sent to Mr. Burke by the former owner, so I do not know what it was like before being worked on by The SIG Armorer. I did do a comparison: another of our forum members has a totally stock P938, so we did a side-by-side comparison with mine and his. Same day, same ammunition, same shooting conditions. We each fired a few magazines from both pistols. We agreed that the one that had been worked on by Mr. Burke was a bit smoother, but not dramatically so. The difference was nowhere near the improvement that I saw in the P245.
Was the improvement worthwhile in these pistols? For the P245, I would say absolutely. I would do it again in a heartbeat for this pistol. The P938, on the other hand, was a marginal improvement and knowing what I know now, after the side-by-side test, I would not bother with it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Isn't the latest magic shoot better these electric sights on pistols?

Yeah like a shaking red dot works better than shaking sights.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

I think the red dots may be partly driven by an aging population of shooters (like me) for whom focusing on sights is becoming increasingly difficult.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty. I buy the next thing that will make me shoot better but it never works out. I still shoot best with my old WG P-228. I just bought a P-320RX that should make me the best shooter in four states, maybe not. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If we’re going to dismiss the latest optical sights as just the duffer’s attempt to “buy skill,” then why stop there? True “naturally” skilled shooters can do pretty well with no sights at all (see the “born shooter” thread). Putting sights on a gun is a crutch that we wouldn’t need if we were really serious about our craft. Roll Eyes

I’m obviously being facetious because proper sights are extremely important for best performance. If they weren’t, long range rifle shooters wouldn’t be spending more money on their sights than their rifles. Sometimes good sights help people with failing eyesight, but in my youth when my vision was better than 20/20, I still used very specific sights for smallbore rifle competition.

But that doesn’t change the fact that we should know why we’re choosing a particular sight. We often see in posts here indications that some shooters believe that the more the magnification in a scopesight, the better for any purpose. Illuminated reticles in rifle sights are a benefit to me for some types of shooting, but not for others, and that’s especially true of red dot sights on handguns. They might be good from a pure accuracy standpoint, but I don’t like them on defensive pistols.

It’s valid to point out that extra equipment and modifications won’t guarantee that someone will become a better shooter, but it’s just as valid to point out that even the best shooters will often benefit from having the best equipment.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
How many posts do we have to see where someone says something like "I just bought my P226, what mods so I do to make it shoot better?"?

People, spend more money and time ACTUALLY SHOOTING. LOL.

That new guide rod will make 0% difference in your skill level.

Assuming to know exactly what is best for others is more troubling.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
When I take up 3-Gun, I'm getting one of these to put the other competitors to shame with their commonplace titanium/carbonfiber racing stroller conversions.

Stereo, wet bar, everything. And Danny Noonan for my gun bearer.

Wait.

Lacey Underall for gun barer. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
My answer is usually mags and ammo. Of course I can never seem to listen to myself either. Roll Eyes

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Am I the only one who finds Golf boring? I mean, really boring.........like long range rifle shooting boring. Smile

Oh my. Long range rifle shooting, ELR, is completely fascinating and extremely difficult.
The day I can shoot the mile and be some what accurate will be one of my greatest days.
I guess some love the art of sniping and others detest it. I didn’t know there were people out there that would find it boring trying to hit a plate 5,280 feet away.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I suppose that I could compete in F1 with my pickup if I was good enough? Roll Eyes
Specialized equipment is better than generalized or improper equipment.

I suppose you'd need to have a Chevy Colorado ZR2 to start. It has the spool valve suspension. The only other vehicles ever made with spool valves are the 2015 Z/28 and, well, a Formula 1 car. Big Grin Too bad that Hamilton fella is so darn fast.

I am guilty of the desire for specialized equipment also. I can't think of any other reason I could justify a P220 X-Six instead of a Taurus when they are both a 9mm.

But then again, it is the only Sig of mine that doesn't have the black checkered aluminum grips.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
My guns have always been great shooters out of the box. Ammo is the problem for my poor shooting skills. Big Grin

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'll just wait until I get good enough that the gun is the limiting factor. For now I'll spend the extra money on ammo instead.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post