SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooters are the new golfers. Trying to buy skill.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooters are the new golfers. Trying to buy skill. Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
<<<------- What about the guy who collects guns he never shoots? Razz

Just another ape with thumbs? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty of this. I used my carry handgun (DA/SA) in IDPA for a couple of years and then decided to send it to Grayguns for their carry treatment.

I maybe picked up a little accuracy in IPDA, but probably it just smoothed out the first (DA) trigger pull so I was less mentally focused on it, and more focused on consistency in the stage. The reduced re-set may have helped my time a little too, but there was not a dramatic gain in skill or result.

Regardless, the Grayguns money was (IMO) well spent as I enjoy shooting it more now.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I am a trigger snob and freely admit it. Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't bother me a bit. Keeps the flow of new products in good supply.

Only a tiny fraction of us will ever use a firearm in self defense. In that already small group, a smaller fraction will have the outcome decided by fractions of seconds or inches.

Take a look at big game hunters. Obviously the consequences are very different, but the stress of having to perform on demand and the pass/fail nature of the exercise is not. Guys obsess over rifles that will shoot tiny groups and then totally blow the shot on the big buck. They shoot too fast and fail to aim or flinch and pull off target. Most of those misses are by FEET, not inches.

Have fun buying, shooting or talking about it. Just have fun.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are not enough doodads made to compensate for a lack of skill.

When people become disappointed that their latest purchase has not improved their performance, I am sometimes happy to buy a steeply discounted product. Big Grin

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Worst are the AR15 crowd. Ha ha ha. But, honestly, don't care. It's their money. Keep the gun industry afloat. Cool

agreed, the koolaid changes almost weekly it seems ,

competitive shooters can be as guilty, thinking one brand is better (and may be) or this doo dad will get me an extra point

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where have you been? This has been going on for decades, if not longer.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty of having firearms sit in the safe for years without taking them out to the range but when I first started shooting I would take everything out to the range and believe me cleaning ten firearms is no fun after an all day range session. I don't buy parts to improve my shooting as I believe as many do that practice is the only way to improve, I get accessories for comfort of shooting ie grips and stocks. I have also replaced recoil spring for reliability and installed ambi-safeties on my 1911s.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not mutually exclusive to improve yourself and improve your gun.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
This stupid ass thread made it to two pages?
Here have a bump

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
There are not enough doodads made to compensate for a lack of skill.

When people become disappointed that their latest purchase has not improved their performance, I am sometimes happy to buy a steeply discounted product. Big Grin

Also see- The sights were off on this gun because it keeps hitting low left and I am a right handed shooter.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I suppose that I could compete in F1 with my pickup if I was good enough? Roll Eyes
Specialized equipment is better than generalized or improper equipment.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
It's not mutually exclusive to improve yourself and improve your gun.

Message that is lost on many. Funny to see this kind of sentiment on a site that one of premier gun-enhancing businesses in the country considers home.
I've literally no gun that has not been modded one way or another. Sometimes it gets done before I even fired a first shot. Hopeless attempt to buy skills.

I dry fire daily, shoot weekly, compete and take classes whenever I can. That's just for show.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
I dry fire daily, shoot weekly, compete and take classes whenever I can. That's just for show.

You are knowledgeable; that is different from people who go online to ask what mods to make before even taking delivery of a new gun.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
How many posts do we have to see where someone says something like "I just bought my P226, what mods so I do to make it shoot better?"?

People, spend more money and time ACTUALLY SHOOTING. LOL.

That new guide rod will make 0% difference in your skill level.
Its only been happen as long as the internet has existed.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:

You are knowledgeable; that is different from people who go online to ask what mods to make before even taking delivery of a new gun.

I understand the sentiment and won't argue that there are folks who have wrong priorities. However, in a right context, I don't think what you're talking about is always wrong. For some, modifying a gun right off is a crutch. For others modding takes the equipment out of equation mentally and allows them to forget about the hardware and concentrate on themselves. Main point of my initial reply is objection to painting all "modders" with a broad brush.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of CRAP. Most you all should be ashamed.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Just because YOU didn't get any better with a new guide rod doesn't mean anything. Don't put your failures on us. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There are gearheads in many different venues. I encounter them on pretty much ever forum I've joined. It seems to be most prevalent with cars, guitars and guns. I pretty much leave my guns stock, but I have modified a couple: I added a red dot to my M&P9 C.O.R.E., since that was what it was designed for, and I added (then removed) a laser from my P938. I've changed grips on my P938 and my S&W 360j, to make both of them a better shooter -- for me.

I consider my mods extremely minor. I've seen guitar players pick up a brand new, pristine guitar (usually electric) and immediately go about removing the neck, the pickguard, the pickups, etc. To me, that's kind of like, "Why did you buy the guitar in the first place if it wasn't what you wanted?" It's a thing to some: nothing off the shelf is good enough until I've put my mark on it.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I have a lot of guns, a lot that I get made fun of at work. I haven't shot some of them in over a year. Biweekly I shoot my 31, 32, 33. Hey, work pays for the ammo and I have 24/7 access to the range, so I'm going to make the best of it and I mainly use those guns since those are my everyday guns.

I haven't shot my Glock 21 in, I don't know? a couple of years since I got 9mm suppressors in.

I mainly see it on Glock sites.
Hi, I just bought a new Glock xx. What trigger should I put in it? sights? 25cent job? metal recoil rod? one guy asked what is the best black coating for the slide, on a new guN!

That's funny right there.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post