SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shooters are the new golfers. Trying to buy skill.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooters are the new golfers. Trying to buy skill. Login/Join 
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted
How many posts do we have to see where someone says something like "I just bought my P226, what mods so I do to make it shoot better?"?

People, spend more money and time ACTUALLY SHOOTING. LOL.

That new guide rod will make 0% difference in your skill level.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Skill can be bought. Pay for a class (and actually go.)

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Worst are the AR15 crowd. Ha ha ha. But, honestly, don't care. It's their money. Keep the gun industry afloat. Cool

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Let’s be honest the GREAT MAJORITY of us are not gun fighters, nor do we aspire to be gun fighters, and we certainly as a whole don’t want to ever have to commit violence upon another.

With that being said the “toy” aspect of firearms is what drives most of us. Having a tricked out zombie gun is fun. It’s perfectly useable if needed but play your cards right and it’s just fun.

Real world, and I mean REAL WORLD not movie fantasy, self defense can be accomplished with a modicum of training, a large dose of mindset, a ton of luck and any old Gun that is reliable enough to go bang when called upon.

Honestly I think it’s great that we are bringing the “golpher shooter” into the fold. I am also super grateful that the HUGE majority of us will never employ a firearm beyond putting down a soda can rebellion. Having the gear, mindset and training is great. Never using the gear, mindset or training is even better.

Embrace the golpher. Make shooting sports ubiquitous. We can train them up later. As long as we drive safety and responsibility it’s all good.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
<<<------- What about the guy who collects guns he never shoots? Razz

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yeah what about those sonsabitches who have a ton of guns that rarely if ever make it to the range. Ballistic heathens I tell you. Roll Eyes Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Well that's life. I am guilty of spending $10 on two springs for my HK P30L to make the DA trigger pull lighter and smoother and guess what? It helped me get that DA shot consistently on center of target without any staging.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of guns, a lot that I get made fun of at work. I haven't shot some of them in over a year. Biweekly I shoot my 31, 32, 33. Hey, work pays for the ammo and I have 24/7 access to the range, so I'm going to make the best of it and I mainly use those guns since those are my everyday guns.

I haven't shot my Glock 21 in, I don't know? a couple of years since I got 9mm suppressors in.

I mainly see it on Glock sites.
Hi, I just bought a new Glock xx. What trigger should I put in it? sights? 25cent job? metal recoil rod? one guy asked what is the best black coating for the slide, on a new guN!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Small picture; I get what the OP is saying. I witnessed this first hand years ago racing MX and working at the MC shop.

"What pipe should I get for the most hp? What sprockets and chain are the lightest? What valves/cam should I get?"

My answer, much to the owner's dismay, was to tell them: "Instead of spending $1000 on that stuff, buy $500 worth of gas and $500 worth of tires. When you use that all up, you'll be faster than any accessory can help you be."

Big picture; I think it's fine to dress them up. If people can afford it, if people like how it 'feels' or 'looks' afterward, and that means they enjoy it more or use it more - fantastic.

My bliss is a well worn stock Glock that can put together tight clusters on paper. But somebody else's bliss might be a collection of unfired pristine Hi-Powers sitting in a safe. Another's might be a decked out race gun that costs more than my truck. And that doesn't make me right or them wrong. It's all about what makes you happy. And if that makes more people educated gun owners in the process - I say bring on the goodies!

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Well I’m a tinkerer so I like modding guns but I’m also pretty damn proficient with just about any gun you put in my hands.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
<<<------- What about the guy who collects guns he never shoots? Razz

Now that’s funny... count me in too...

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm there too. Got a stack about 12 high that haven't been fired and haven't been to the range in over a year.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God bless the golfers. I’ve bought all my nice golf clubs LNIB from such golfers. Likewise I’ve gotten some great deals from basement gunsmiths. Keep those parts coming! I take the savings and buy more ammo and tee times.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Those mods don't make you a better shot, but t it can make your gun a better shooter.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
How many posts do we have to see where someone says something like "I just bought my P226, what mods so I do to make it shoot better?"

Hmm …. You must have seen a lot more posts that ask that question than I have.

It’s true that many people ask about modifications to their guns, and especially about adding accessories such as lights and sights. Although it’s possible I’ve missed a few, though, “make it shoot better”? I don’t believe we can assume that everyone who asks about modifications hopes to make their guns “shoot better.” But of course many modifications do enhance various guns and their owners’ ability to shoot them well.

Upgrading a barrel can improve a rifle’s accuracy, but modifications can improve one’s ability to shoot a gun well.
I like easy-to-see pistol sights because, well …, they’re easier to see and pick up quickly when doing that is important.
Optical sights on a rifle are faster to use, more forgiving of head position, and permit a more precise sight picture (for me, anyway).
I’m pretty happy with most SIG pistol grips, but some people prefer them to be larger or smaller.
A very important modification to one of my rifles was the change to a Magpul Precision Rifle Stock. Its adjustable cheek rest allows me to position my head properly with respect to the scope when shooting, and definitely does make it possible for me to shoot better.

These discussions often assume that everyone’s circumstances are the same, and we might think that any shooting is better than no shooting, but that’s not always true. If I were limited to shooting at an expensive indoor range with poor (or excessive) oversight of the other shooters and limited to purchasing range ammo and targets while not being able to draw from a holster or fire more than one shot every five seconds, I probably wouldn’t be doing much shooting either.

Not everyone has their own backyard shooting area miles away from their neighbors where they can shoot for free and do whatever they want. Focusing on buying (rather than shooting) guns and accessories under those circumstances helps many people remain in touch with the gun culture even when actually shooting them isn’t convenient. (I know that because I was in the same situation for years; then I got access to an inexpensive convenient range where I could shoot as I wanted, and then everything changed. Now I’m a shooter and not just a gun owner.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Look at trap, skeet and sporting clays shooters if You want to see folks seeking greatness with their checkbooks! LOL.

A constant search for that magic shotgun. No matter the cost.

Don't ask me how I know.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Well that's life. I am guilty of spending $10 on two springs for my HK P30L to make the DA trigger pull lighter and smoother and guess what? It helped me get that DA shot consistently on center of target without any staging.

Now you have me curious. What did you buy and have you had any reliablity issues?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as we humans play games in which we interface with equipment, there will be many who emphasize purchasing more & better equipment rather than learning the skills to use said equipment. Wealth can't buy the discipline one needs to struggle through challenging learning processes.

One can generally assess a shooter's skill by asking what he purchased last year -- "I bought XX new guns" versus "I bought Y replacement barrels.

The best shooters I know have hundreds of thousands of rounds down range. Could be 22lr, 223, 9mm, 12 gauge, or air rifle pellets. Sure, they own quality firearms, but their capabilities are the results of practice instead of fancy doodads

Posts: 7872 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am a little guilty of it in golf. I've bought putters because I thought I might sink a few more putts rather than go hit a few hundred more putts in practice.

I am less susceptible with guns. I buy new guns just because I want them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Some people have more money than free time to practice. No big deal IMO.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post