SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally Replaced my P230...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally Replaced my P230... Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Congrats on finding a classic.

Have the P230SL and the P230JP. These are truly the best of the P230s. I can't imagine a Sig collection without at least one.

[Dad mode]
Also, that girl looks like a kid, so these comments about her are kinda' gross.
[/Dad mode]

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful classic pistol, congrats. I guess there isn't much room for them anymore with the ultra-compact 9mms and all, but those were great and elegant pistols...and always better than the PPK(S) IMO.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:

[Dad mode]
Also, that girl looks like a kid, so these comments about her are kinda' gross.
[/Dad mode]

H&K-Guy

That's Lyndsy Fonseca.... she's not a kid at 30-years old; just stunningly gorgeous!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ether:
Beautiful classic pistol, congrats. I guess there isn't much room for them anymore with the ultra-compact 9mms and all, but those were great and elegant pistols...and always better than the PPK(S) IMO.

Agreed. These days you can get a 9mm in a smaller/lighter package, so nobody wants these any more.... except somebody like me who prefers the workmanship and beauty of the classics. And yes, it is superior to the PPK(S) in my opinion also!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
My son briefly had a PPK(S), and we tried to make it work, but it was a jamomatic. The P232 though has never given so much as a hiccup. Congrats on a nice find.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Always say it when a P230/P232 thread pops up...

It's the one pistol I'll never sell. Sexy, elegant, work of art.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Just picked up an Alien Gear holster for my P230 stainless.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
My love affair with the P230 began about 2 years ago when I found a 230SL at the same LGS and grabbed it. After a little work with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and machine oil on the flats to get rid of scuff marks, the thing looked almost liked new, and it shot beautifully also! Despite the .380 caliber, it immediately became my favorite Sig!

Unfortunately about a week or two later when doing a thorough cleaning I discovered cracks under the grip tang (beavertail) and had to return it to the store for a full refund. To date, I have not found another SL model locally, and they haven't had any more come through the shop either.

Edit to add: There have been some 232's in all-stainless, but I just don't like them as much as the 230.... don't really know why exactly, but I don't. Maybe I'll get one now that I have a 230 though...

After giving up trying to find another 230SL, I eventually picked up a regular black P230 which is the one I let go of about a year ago and had been really regretting ever since, and so replaced with this one. I do believe I have learned my lesson this time and will only sell this one IF a better one (or two) have already been added to the safe! Big Grin

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Always say it when a P230/P232 thread pops up...

It's the one pistol I'll never sell. Sexy, elegant, work of art.

Agreed!

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Just picked up an Alien Gear holster for my P230 stainless.

I make all of my own holsters these days so will be making both an IWB with belt loops, and one for front pocket carry in trousers and cargo shorts... both out of horsehide. Just haven't had a chance to start on one yet as the daughter is home for her first visit from college, so spending all of my time with her! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

Unfortunately about a week or two later when doing a thorough cleaning I discovered cracks under the grip tang (beavertail) and had to return it to the store for a full refund. To date, I have not found another SL model locally, and they haven't had any more come through the shop either.

After giving up trying to find another 230SL, I eventually picked up a regular black P230 which is the one I let go of about a year ago and had been really regretting ever since, and so replaced with this one. I do believe I have learned my lesson this time and will only sell this one IF a better one (or two) have already been added to the safe! Big Grin

Geez....I've never seen or heard of that.

Going to go look at mine...

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No kidding...I know the steel frames on the stainless guns were cast but dang...

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bronicabill, I prefer the the P230SL to the P232 as well. Sometimes I decide I'm going to sell mine because I know I'll never carry it or shoot it regularly. When I pull it out of the safe for photos I fondle it for five minutes. Back in the safe it goes. It's not going anywhere.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by photoman12001:
bronicabill, I prefer the the P230SL to the P232 as well. Sometimes I decide I'm going to sell mine because I know I'll never carry it or shoot it regularly. When I pull it out of the safe for photos I fondle it for five minutes. Back in the safe it goes. It's not going anywhere.

Should you ever choose to part with it, I want first dibs on it! Big Grin

Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
There are several for sale on GB. A few are buy it now.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Also a fan of the 230 over the 232. It seems like there was a concerted effort to make the 232 cheaper to manufacture over time and comparing a late production 232 to a 1980's P230SL, its hard to believe the same company made them.

I had my P230SL barrel swapped for a NOS 7,65 P232 barrel I found on Numrich. Took a little bit of tweaking specifically different extractor sizes but runs flawlessly. Also have a Japanese Spec 7,65 model I swapped some factory walnut grips on after removing the safety (not a simple endeavor and not sure I'd do it again as it was non-reversible) and lanyard loop. The slide on the blued one is at CCR for CPII Dusk treatment as it was looking pretty ragged.

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Also have a Japanese Spec 7,65 model I swapped some factory walnut grips on after removing the safety (not a simple endeavor and not sure I'd do it again as it was non-reversible) and lanyard loop.

Do you still have the lanyard loop for the P230 in 7,65? I have been looking for a replacement for my pistol for years, no luck... Let me know please! Best Regards - NMGunNut

Posts: 23 | Location: New Mexico  | Registered: May 25, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post