SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG P229 357 (early)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P229 357 (early) Login/Join 
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Nice either way, I do like the 229 in 357.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post

Chip

Posts: 557 | Location: IN | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice addition.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Chipster. I just noticed the first photo you posted as an example was the one I just bought!

Nice guns.

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice pick up OP- sucker for early 229 triples- congratulations.

Posts: 203 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
DING! Cool

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
It's funny the difference between the two barrels. The earlier one is a lot more purplish that reminds for the plum colored P7's, and it appears that the edges are sharper. It's seems that the barrel has considerable more wear marks on it than the gun does.

Chip

Posts: 557 | Location: IN | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
The mystery of the missing triple serial number narrows... yours is an AE, so early 95 probably.I finally dug my .357sig out and it's AD39650(frame and barrel only) putting it late 94. Most of the AD39###'s I've seen were triple serial numbers, but with mine at the end of the AD run seems to be about where they started with just two numbers..for a while at least.

Anyone have more specific info on why they did just two serial's for a while?

quote:
Originally posted by greyeyezz:
quote:
I seem to recall that there were early P229s with only two serial numbers.

Yes like my AE

P1010823 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/146780422@N05/][/url]

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
The mystery of the missing triple serial number narrows... yours is an AE, so early 95 probably.I finally dug my .357sig out and it's AD39650(frame and barrel only) putting it late 94. Most of the AD39###'s I've seen were triple serial numbers, but with mine at the end of the AD run seems to be about where they started with just two numbers..for a while at least.

Anyone have more specific info on why they did just two serial's for a while?

Actually I believe there isn't any agreement as to why there are even three serial numbers on the first P229s as they were made/assembled in the U.S. from almost all German parts except for the U.S. made stainless steel slide. Big Grin One of the theories for the triple serial numbers was Exeter was trying to emulate the German-made SIGs. If that was true then maybe by late '94 Exeter decided to quit stamping the U.S.-made slide with the serial number since it served no purpose for SIGs sold here. Just a guess.

Maybe it is just me, but the font of the serial number on the slide, in my opinion, has always looked different from that on the German SIGs and on some of the early German framed P229s like the one listed on GB linked at the beginning of this thread. The letters and numbers are "rounder", especially the "D"

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Here are some in 40. .357 and 9mm

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is AE144xx with the triple serial number and was from the first batch bought into SA around 1995/96. Carried it every day since. Never had any issues with it.

Posts: 101 | Location: Jhb, South Africa | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post