SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG P229 357 (early)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P229 357 (early) Login/Join 
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted
Did I just win one of the earliest examples of a 357 P229? I've never seen that type of exterior box. It does not look like a triple serial numbered SIG but that barrels almost looks tool steel-ish.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/620609431

I am not looking to resell it. Just any info is appreciated.

Chip

Posts: 557 | Location: IN | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
That serial number is 5000+ newer than the oldest 357SIG P229 that I still own

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chipster:
Did I just win one of the earliest examples of a 357 P229? I've never seen that type of exterior box. It does not look like a triple serial numbered SIG but that barrels almost looks tool steel-ish.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/620609431

I am not looking to resell it. Just any info is appreciated.

I can almost guarantee that the 3rd serial number is on the hidden side of the barrel hood. Everything in that auction is original.
The AD prefix puts it around 1994 production year.
I have a couple of NIB 9mm P229s (AD12937 and AD12938). They have triple matching serial numbers, and everything original just like the gun in the auction.

You got a very good buy, there, imo. Congrats.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!! Classic P series and in a fantastic caliber! I had a 94 year P229 in .40 that I regret getting rid of all the time - and it's been gone close to 20 years.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
I thought the 357 round didn't come out until 1994. I used to have an old magazine cover of the P229 and a Colt Python 4". I've had several since that time but I believe this, and the last one I bought were the earliest. Very much looking forward to this second one.

Chip

Posts: 557 | Location: IN | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tundrav84wd
posted Hide Post
Everything looks right, except the missing sn on the barrel. I've seen .40s with the sn on the other side, hidden, but of all the triple sn 357s I've owned / own, never seen one like that. The style of print is correct on the barrel. Definitely would like to see if it's on the other side. If it is, it would be one of the less seen versions for triple sn 357s.

Old School German Sigs,....Quality and Reliability you can consistently depend on, right out of the box.

**Remembering 9/11/2001 Celebrating 5/1/2011**

OPUS DEI CUM PECUNIA ALIENUM EFFICEMUS

Posts: 6417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
I'll post pictures when I receive the gun. I had another member email stating he's only seen the reverse side markings on .40's. Hopefully it's not a replacement barrel and the seller did tell me that the owner rarely shot the guns but handled them quite a bit. Hopefully next week I'll get the pistol!

Here's the two pictures from two auctions. The one I won is the AD28*** and the other is AD32***.

I'm wondering if there was a difference in that 5K difference in serial numbers.

Chip

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Nice pick up on the P229.

Mine is just a little bit older. I bought it still NIB a few years back with the original cardboard box that has the plastic case inside and yet to have try it out yet LOL. Triple serial numbers probably manufactured in 1994.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Those are the boxes my 229s came in.
My .357sig is AD145XX

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dsiets,

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
My .357sig is AD145XX

Is yours triple serial numbered?

Chip

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Most all of that era will be triple serialed unless the barrel has been swapped out.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chipster:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
My .357sig is AD145XX

Is yours triple serial numbered?

Hey Chip,
My apologies. I got it wrong.
I use the serial # as part of one of my passwords. So now when I went to double check that it had triple #'s I discovered my memorized # is on my .40 Frown

My .357 is AD400XX.
Sorry, my mistake. I'll edit my other post a bit.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that there were early P229s with only two serial numbers. Sometimes the missing serial number was missing from the barrel and sometimes it was from the slide. However, yours could still have the serial number on the other side of the barrel as others have said.

You got a great deal regardless.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Interesting we have some pretty close serial numbers. I am the original owner of a 229 in .357 Sig and its a triple serial number AD32345.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
I seem to recall that there were early P229s with only two serial numbers.

Yes like my AE

P1010823 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/146780422@N05/][/url]

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Interesting we have some pretty close serial numbers. I am the original owner of a 229 in .357 Sig and its a triple serial number AD32345.

I have AD 31990 in 357 triple serial numbered.

Chip

Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Love the early P229s. Quality rivals the German guns from around that time, but they can be found for much less. I have had two in .40. Want to get one in .357 next time.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
My P229 AD31504 in .357SIG is triple serial numbered and it is a shooter!

Nice pickup.

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
I received the gun yesterday and as discussed the serial number is on the other side of the barrel.

Stand by for pictures.

Chip

Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I've AD 343XX, triple serial number P229 in .357.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post