SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P230SL Acquired
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P230SL Acquired Login/Join 
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted
I have a modest collection of SIGs but have always wanted to add a German-Made P230 to my collection. Yesterday, My Incredible Wife asked if I was going to the Grand Re-Opening of my favorite LGS (The Armories Kissimmee Florida). I didn't plan on going and said: "I don't want to buy anything". She said, "You never know- You might see something Good." They were incredibly busy and had SIG Reps showing the typical 'New Stuff'. However, I managed to sneak a peek at this little beauty hiding in the case. I quickly took the picture and found the owner of the shop. He stopped everything, got the pistol out of the case and handed it to me. Longer Story Shortened- wifey said it was "Pretty" and it was mine. No box or paperwork, one magazine KE Date Code P230SL for under $400 OTD. He threw in a small Allen Soft Pistol Pouche to get me home. It is not perfect cosmetically (few dings and scratches) but it appears the bore is in incredible shape and there is very little internal wear. I'm not familiar with the P23* line but have quickly learned the SL Steal Magazines are very pricey and difficult to find.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I love the 230sl! I think you got a good deal on it. I've had two and both gave me problems but I think they were not running right when I bought them. One day I'll get around to buying another one. That wife of yours is a jewel for encouraging you to pursue what you love.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
It's a good looking pistol akasigfreak. For $400 you did pretty good, but as you noted - finding mags will set you back quite a bit. For period correct mags like the one your pistol came with (stainless with stainless floor plate and follower) you're talking about $75 - $100 per on average when you can find them. Plain Jane blued mags with blued followers go for $50.

I sold my 232 to my brother because the recoil was a little too snappy for my taste, I consolidated calibers and just couldn't get used to the European mag release. It's a good little gun and should serve you well.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think the P230s and 232s are some of the best looking and designed semi-autos ever made. Is probably the gun that put me off Glocks... which look like a shoe box compared to a P230.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Keep the wife, she’s a good ‘un. Magazines for the P230 may be a good bit more expensive and harder to find.

Nice score.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
That's a West German sweetheart! I found a butted one a few years back, a little rougher on the finish, but nice overall. I'd like to eventually pick up a stainless like yours. Beautiful

Posts: 62 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Great find - a wonderful example you’ve got there - you did very well. The gun’s nice, too! Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice snag! I always lusted after a P230/232 SL. But it’s not really a practical pistol anymore. So it took a police trade in deal to make me buy. Being trade-in it wasn’t in great shape. But the SL is easy to touch up. Carefully file mars, if even needed. Then bead blast. The oil some fine sandpaper and slide the slide along the paper, only going one direction. Then you’ll have the original bead blasted look on the frame, slide serrations and the rounded part of the slide, and the brushed look on the flat sides.

Or just accept the personality that the marks give the pistol and just shoot it!

ETA:
I remembered I have a couple pics after doing the slide but I still haven’t blasted the frame yet (my buddy with the cabinet moved and hasn’t organized enough yet):

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Everyone.
I broke it down and did a much-needed thorough cleaning. By the looks of it, I doubt it had ever been disassembled. I thought it was smooth before- it is unbelievable now.
I've been eyeballing the Hogue G10 Checkered Grips too.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I updated my profile.
Thanks!

Picture of jamaicanj
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the great find. I had a 230 and a co-worker convinced me to sell it to him. I missed it so much that I turned around and bought two 232's to fill the void. I think it's a beautiful gun and quite accurate.

Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!
Glock Cert. Armorer & GSSF Member

Posts: 707 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a NIB 230 about a year ago. I found it to be a very picky eater. It likes 90gr JHP, OAL 0.930" and 100gr FMJ no longer than 0.965.

Posts: 29 | Location: 9007 Stonebridge Dr | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Hogue G-10 Checkered Grips for her.

posted Hide Post
^^^ Those are the same grips I have on my stainless P232. Stunning looking.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:
I ordered the Hogue G-10 Checkered Grips for her.

I have the same P230SL with KD markings from a retired LEO. Also got a nice leather ankle holster with it. The hogue G10 Checkered grips are nice too, as I have them on two other sigs. Prettiest Sig ever. I still carry it often. I had a P232 so I have plenty of magazines, but not the stainless heeled magazine the P230SL came with.
Congrats it is a sweet pistol

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
Very nice P230SL! They are very cool pistols!

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
ive got the opportunity to pick one up in fantabulous condition, two stainless mags, box, a box of ammo and holster for $500..im chewin it over tryin to decide if I want it or sumpin else.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
ive got the opportunity to pick one up in fantabulous condition, two stainless mags, box, a box of ammo and holster for $500..im chewin it over tryin to decide if I want it or sumpin else.

Two mags? Lucky! The stainless mags are selling for close to $100.

Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a little nervous about the G10s. I ordered them after I heard the P230SL was such a smooth shooter, but now, everyone makes it sound like its a little snappy without the Hogue Rubber Grips absorbing some of the vibrations.

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
akaSig, I got the 230 and yes, it has two factory stainless with stainless followers and base plates. those are the high dollar ones. its also a W. German all steel model and in beautiful shape.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post