SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK VP9 sk...couple random thoughts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK VP9 sk...couple random thoughts Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
I picked up a VP9 sk on Friday and shot it this weekend.

Here are a couple random thoughts I have about the gun.

I've been in a love hate relationship with Glock for a while. I love most everything about them, but I hate the grip. It doesn't fit my hand and it just feels all wrong.

I'm a fan of SAO and striker fired guns. I never really got into HK's because they were all DA/SA and LEM. I also despise the mag release. I don't want this to turn into a discussion about the mag release, you either love it or hate an we aren't changing each others' minds.

With HK announcing that button mag releases are in the works, I took the plunge so I can start shooting one and getting used to it. My thoughts:

The polymer wings on the back of the slide...I thought I'd hate these things and take them off when I changed out the sights. Much to my surprise, I found I rather like them. While they certainly aren't needed to rack a slide, they just make is nicer to do. They don't add any noticeable thickness like I thought they would either.

I'm glad I gave them a chance, definitely a nice little "why not" feature. I can't say enough good things about them really. Two surprised thumbs up for sure.

The trigger...This was the first time I've really shot a VP9 series gun. I found the trigger to be very nice. There is some takeup in it, but it doesn't really bother me at all.

Oddly, the trigger safety thingy is much more positive than a Glock. Meaning, when I put my finger on a Glock trigger, I don't really notice the hinged safety. With the HK, it's much more noticeable. At first I didn't like this, but after a bit, I found myself indexing my trigger finger off of it when drawing. End result, I found I was more likely to get a proper trigger finger positioning with this.

The feel of the metal trigger (the actual trigger shoe itself, not the trigger pull) reminds me of the Apex one for the M&P. I forget what Apex calls their metal trigger. That's a good thing IMO.

sights...I don't like them and will replace them with Trijicon HD's tomorrow when ADCO is open.

Grip...For me, there is simply nothing better than the grip on an HK. They just fit my hands so perfectly well. It feels so good to finally breakdown and buy an HK. The amount of personalization HK grips offer is the industry leader by far IMO.

Shooting...despite it fitting my hand much better than my G19 or G26, I can't say I shot it any better. I would say it was very similar. I'm very confident with a Clock in my hands, so I was happy to see similar shooting with a new gun.

All in all, I love the gun...except the stupid mag release. As I believe it unsafe to use a trigger finger to the mag, I'll continue to shift my grip and drop it with my thumb until the button release model is available. I'm hoping to see them this winter, time will tell.

In the meantime, I am very happy with the VP9sk and will continue to shoot it. A button mag release on the whole VP9 series will definitely result in me selling off my Glocks.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I'm right there with you. I've had my VP9sk for a couple of months and it just naturally became one of the guns I shoot the easiest and most accurately. It's one of my top favorites now.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I been really interested in acquiring a full-size and subcompact VP9. Will there be a alongside version in the future?

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
With HK announcing that button mag releases are in the works, I took the plunge so I can start shooting one and getting used to it. My thoughts:

Has HK USA now announced a release date for the button magazine release in the US? Shortly after it was announced for Euorpe, I e-mailed HK's USA CS and was told that they had no plans on bringing this model to the US.

Link: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...310034124#3310034124

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Afaik, they have not announced a US release for the button release.

I'm one of those that actually prefer HK's paddle release. It works faster for me using my trigger finger.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard anything about them coming to the US. I simply assume it is coming.

I can't possibly imagine them releasing it in Europe and not here.

They say on their German website the 20 round mags will be coming in November. That's why I'm hoping this winter.

The demand here for the button will be big, I have no doubt they'll bring it, it's just a matter of when.

As an aside, I got the HD's installed this morning; much better.

posted Hide Post
Got rid of mine and another HK for no other reason than to make room in the gun safe. Faced with buying another gun safe and dealing with a disgruntled spouse, it was easier to sell the HK's to make room for another Sig. Have nothing negative to say about my HKs, in order to ensure domestic tranquility it was easier to let two safe queens go.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Afaik, they have not announced a US release for the button release.

I'm one of those that actually prefer HK's paddle release. It works faster for me using my trigger finger.

Winner!!!!

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! I am a huge HK fanboy, don't have the sk yet but do have 2 full size vp9's, and 9 other Hk's. As a lefty I much prefer the paddle mag release, and I find it to be safer with the trigger finger in that it ensures the finger is off the trigger. Everyone's different, I suppose. Congrats again!

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The last thing I read was HK had no plans on bringing the button to the U.S. While I prefer the paddle, if that is still their stance that just seems damn stupid IMO.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The last thing I read was HK had no plans on bringing the button to the U.S. While I prefer the paddle, if that is still their stance that just seems damn stupid IMO.

I agree with you, it would seem to stupid to materialize. That's the whole basis of my assumption.

If they have an option, I find it hard to believe they won't offer it here.

I'm guessing it will be something like the M&P 2.0 Compact announcement...it will just show up one morning. I haven't been an HK fan boy so I don't know for a fact, but they don't seem to be hype men like Sig. I feel like I just see their products go live without months and months of hype. Is that wrong or correct?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
HK generally doesn't do the super hype thing. I mean if you follow them info sneaks out but for us lay folks usually by the time you hear about something you can find them on shelves.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I've got the P30sk and I absolutely love the thing. I'm considering adding the VP9sk to the stable as well.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I just spent a good bit of time changing out the side panels and back straps.

I have smallish hands; I wear a large or medium glove depending. Usually when a brand offers M/L that’s my preference.

I settled on the Large side panels with the Small blackstrap. I didn’t even realize you could do that, but I tried it and it worked. I would have never guessed that combo would be my favorite.

The ability to customize the grip on this gun is simply amazing. I’m surprised this grip isn’t copied by all manufactures.

Can’t say enough good things about how this gun feels.

Yesterday I ordered the threaded barrel full size from PSA and can’t wait to try that one out.

posted Hide Post
Dang, you are have way too much fun.
What am I missing?
I didn't know I needed a VP9 until I read this.

Posts: 101 | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I just spent a good bit of time changing out the side panels and back straps...

I settled on the Large side panels with the Small blackstrap. I didn’t even realize you could do that, but I tried it and it worked. I would have never guessed that combo would be my favorite.

The ability to customize the grip on this gun is simply amazing. I’m surprised this grip isn’t copied by all manufactures.

I actually even went with two different side panels, medium on the right side and small on the left.

Shooting right handed, nice palm swell but less grip for me to wrap my short fingers around.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10929 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post