SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pocket Carry 9mm
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Carry 9mm Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Since Beretta installed the updated extractor on my Nano, it has been flawless and more than adequate in the accuracy department. The Long DA type of pull is nice in a pocket gun. For holsters, I have a R Grizzle Leather Georgia Snap holster that is simply excellent. If I want a true pocket carry, I have some suede leather Blackhawk pocket holster that works just fine.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rgesfire:
The closest thing I've had to pocket carry was a Kahr CW9 that I cut the grip length to a PM size. It was perfect! Gave me the extra barrel length for velocity and sight picture but still fit in my cargo shorts pocket. It was so great my daughter shot with it and loved it, so guess who has it now!

Warning for those thinking of doing this with a new cw9. I just bought one a few weeks ago with the intention of doing a grip reduction so it would take pm/cm9 mags. Even went ahead and bought some mags. Then, after the 200 round break in period, I realized the serial number has been moved to a small metal plate near the bottom of the grip. No way to do the grip reduction without destroying the s/n. Ticked at myself for not noticing when I picked up the gun at the lgs.

On the other hand, I’ve got two brand new never opened 6 round cm9 mags if anyone would like to trade a couple 7 round cw9 mags lol.

Posts: 124 | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would think that if anyone was considering a gun in this class, unless the need was absolutely immediate, they should probably wait a few months to see how the P365 shakes out, and for supply to catch up with demand.

I can't see how, IF IT PROVES RELIABLE, this gun doesn't have it all over the rest of the competition in this class.

The one gun I thought might have an advantage would be the Kahr PM/CM9. But even that gun, looking at the numbers is the same length, fractionally wider, and only slightly less tall (.1").

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
What are the forum's thoughts of carrying a Glock 43 but not chambered?

With your hands at your side, have a friend come at you from 10 feet.

Then you'll know.

DISCLAIMER: Don't use a gun. You don't want to shoot your friend. It's just an exercise for informational purposes. Wink

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JGIORD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Thinking of adding a small, flat, light 9mm to pocket carry in rotation with my KT P-32 .32 ACP

The Ruger LC-9 stands out to me, any others that can be recommended?

I had a KT PF-9 for a short time, did not like it
The Glock 43 sounds great, but I do not want to pocket carry a Glock. I'm all about DAO for pocket carry.

What about a 9mm Ruger LCR? I'd like to stay with 9mm as I've standardized on 9mm and .32 ACP and don't want to have to buy .380 or .38 ammo

The OP indicated a dislike of carrying a Glock in a pocket. With that being said I would not recommend the P365 as the trigger is lighter than the G43. I would highly recommend the Kahr CM9. The long DAO trigger is very smooth but the travel is long.

The Kahr is also smaller than the 365, but not by much.

Posts: 461 | Location: AZ | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry a RugerLCRX in .327 Federal Magnum. I also carry a Ruger Single Seven in .327 Federal Magnum. That caliber works on my small ranch.

That all said, I am curious how the new build Sig P365s are doing? I like 9mm & the mag capacity.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry but I’d never carry a single action cocked and locked type gun like a P938 in my pocket in a million years. No way, no how.

I'd pocket carry a cocked and locked and feel a lot more comfortable than I would something striker fired, but I would carry neither without some type of pocket holster.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry but I’d never carry a single action cocked and locked type gun like a P938 in my pocket in a million years. No way, no how.
My P938 has a very positive safety. It takes a definite push with my thumb to disengage the safety for firing. I can't really imagine the safety releasing unintentionally in a pocket.

The trigger is not light, and if it is covered properly in a pocket holster, I think that the P938 is as safe as any other gun for pocket carry.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
My P938 has a very positive safety. It takes a definite push with my thumb to disengage the safety for firing. I can't really imagine the safety releasing unintentionally in a pocket.

The trigger is not light, and if it is covered properly in a pocket holster, I think that the P938 is as safe as any other gun for pocket carry.

Totally concur. My P238 is like that too and my holsters, be they pocket or IWB, all properly cover the trigger.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Didn't the Israelis prefect the concept of the draw-rack-aim style of shooting?

I love my G19 (which I carry chambered in an IWB holster occasionally) but I just can't get past the idea of carrying something with a short trigger pull like that chambered in my pocket, even in a good holster. I know it's a psychological thing.

First, a disclaimer. I don't criticize other people's choices. Having said that, there are two objective issues with the empty chamber method for civilian carry:

1) It takes two hands to chamber. Your second hand many be occupied when it's needed.

2) Especially under stress, it's very easy to short stroke the slide or otherwise cause the pistol to not properly chamber the round.

There was a video last year showing an armed store owner and his son during an armed robbery. The father tried to rack the slide from an empty chamber. Gun jammed...robber killed him and shot his son. The drawbacks are not theoretical.

EDIT: Spelling...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Since this thread got reanimated, and in a similar vein as the last few posts, has SIG released the manual safety version of the P365 yet? It should be in the any day now time frame.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Personally, I see no need for a manual safety on the 365, YMMV.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have made a gradual, approximate evolution over the past thirty years or so from a combo of HKP7 and 32 Seecamp, to a combo of Kahr K9 and PM9, now more to a Glock 43 (ALWAYS in a holster even in the safe) -- with occasionally a J frame or CZ PCR thrown in. I like low bore axes and have small hands...

In terms of the recent postings on this thread, I guess I have moved a bit from most safe in the world gradually to less? But I must admit there is a part of me that is conscious that the Glock 43 striker takes much less to get it going than the P7.
Besides the (sadly now gone) Rohrbaugh and the now Bond Arms Bullpup, what other quality DA hammer fired pistols are there? And what quality DA/SA single stacks are there that come close to pocket size? The Sig 239 and 225 just don't fit that bill.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

Same here.

Now if I'm pocket carrying my 938, then yes, by all means safety ON, ( cocked & locked w/round chambered, of course ).

If having a manual safety on their 365 gives others a warm fuzzy, then so be it.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Why is a manual safety necessary on the 938 but not on a P365? How much stiffer is the trigger on the P365? I know the 938 is SAO, but on a functional basis, I consider striker fire very close to SAO.

quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

Same here.

Now if I'm pocket carrying my 938, then yes, by all means safety ON, ( cocked & locked w/round chambered, of course ).

If having a manual safety on their 365 gives others a warm fuzzy, then so be it.

posted Hide Post
I carried a PM9 for a few years. I did IWB, OWB and pocket carry. I ended up selling it because I didn’t like the trigger. I bought a G43 and it has become my go to carry gun, although I never pocket carry it.

Posts: 184 | Location: Great Falls VA | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I carry a 43 in my pocket it is with a Alabama holster and one in the pipe.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a good Kahr MK9 that can be pocket carried although I don’t. I do pocket carry a Ruger LCRX in .327 Federal Magnum.

For walking around, I have a P365 on the way. I like the size, the design, & increased round count. If it is as reliable & accurate as the Kahr MK9, I’ll look at different methods to carry it.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those crazies that pocket carries a G26 or a Walther PPSM2. I had a PM9 and it was a good gun but I couldn't shoot it as well as the first two I mentioned. I do think in your case a PM9 or a CM9 would be a good solution due to the long DAO trigger vs. the shorter stroke triggers of a Walther or Glock. The other choice is an Airweight revolver.

A pocket holster is a must though as it acts as a safety to prevent the trigger from being pulled until you want to be pulled.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I frequently pocket a G26 without issue. I mostly wear loose pants (BDU's, Carharts, 511's, etc) so printing is a minimal concern.

With any pocket carry choice, the pocket effectively becomes a holster. Absolutely nothing else goes into it...not a single coin, gum wrapper, anything. Also, make sure to check and clean frequently. Lint dust buildup occurs more quickly that you would ever imaging and oil/grease is a magnet.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post