SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pocket Carry 9mm
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Carry 9mm Login/Join 
Picture of fiddlers
posted Hide Post
Kahr PM9, but it may have to be retired for a SIG P365 in the future!

Posts: 948 | Location: SWFL | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Kahr PM9 but IWB, I'm just not a fan of pocket carry. Personal preference.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be in the minority, but I think cocked and locked in the pocket is safer than a striker no safety in the pocket. Two things have to happen for a p938 to fire, safety off and trigger has to be pulled.

Striker with no safety only the trigger has to be pulled.

If the safety goes off on the p938 the trigger still has to be pulled to fire, and it’s not that light, It also has a firing pin block and a half cock notch

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
On the "it only takes one" side of the ledger (which I'm really not a believer, btw): Ruger LCR 9mm.

If I positively HAD to, I can reasonably and comfortably pocket carry my 38SPL LCR in a soft pocket holster within my front jeans pocket. So why not a 9mm version? It's an ounce or two heavier than the 38SPL version, down on firepower compared to a comparably sized 9mm semi-auto, but if you want a smooth double-action trigger right out of the box it's not going to get any better than this. And because it shoots 9x19 it's got muscle over your regular J-frames, present company .357MAG steel and scandium examples excluded.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Kahr CM9.
I like mine so much I had the slide, mags, and parts done in Ionbond then added a front night sight..

Often carry it OWB..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The LC9s is easy to carry but the trigger is really light. I have to concentrate during any rapid fire exercise to not inadvertently do double taps. Light triggers are nice and all that but I'd be more comfortable if it were a couple of pounds heavier.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
On the "it only takes one" side of the ledger (which I'm really not a believer, btw): Ruger LCR 9mm.

If I positively HAD to, I can reasonably and comfortably pocket carry my 38SPL LCR in a soft pocket holster within my front jeans pocket. So why not a 9mm version? It's an ounce or two heavier than the 38SPL version, down on firepower compared to a comparably sized 9mm semi-auto, but if you want a smooth double-action trigger right out of the box it's not going to get any better than this. And because it shoots 9x19 it's got muscle over your regular J-frames, present company .357MAG steel and scandium examples excluded.

This is the thought process that lead me to the LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. This includes the fact that 9mm is my only caliber for carry/competition...I shoot thousands every year and reload as well. Pocket carry is a Shield 9.

But...the extra (sixth shot) of the LCR in .327 just hits a sweet spot in terms of ballistics/energy and round count in a revolver for pocket carry. For me.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Kahr is a good answer for 9mm

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:

This is the thought process that lead me to the LCR in .327 Federal Magnum. This includes the fact that 9mm is my only caliber for carry/competition...I shoot thousands every year and reload as well. Pocket carry is a Shield 9.

But...the extra (sixth shot) of the LCR in .327 just hits a sweet spot in terms of ballistics/energy and round count in a revolver for pocket carry. For me.

How do you like that .327 LCR?

I’ve shot the .38 version of the LCR and was always very impressed with it.

I like the idea that you get an extra round in a J frame sized wheel gun!

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've pocket-carried a Kahr PM9 for at least 5 years now.
It's a great little gun.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry a Kahr MK9. I've tried several other small 9mm's and the Kahr has just performed the best for me (I do have a Sig P365 on order).

Guns I've tried and sold off:

S&W Shield 9
Beretta Nano
Glock 43
Ruger LC9 (hammer fired)

I do have a Ruger LC9s that I'm trying out but so far its shoots well, but isn't going to replace my Kahrs.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be the one in this thread that doesn't totally trust the Kahr PM9. Several of my coworkers and I had them. Standing still, two handed shooting they worked great. From holster, one hand , off hand, speed drills I witnessed a failure to go in to battery at least once a year. After about 5 years mine got the annoying habit of the slide locking back with rounds in mag. It wasn't my thumb and I never could get that figured out. I carry a G43 in pocket some in summer and wish it was as small as PM9.

Posts: 32 | Registered: August 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never liked the trigger on the LCR, the "reset" has almost a double or triple click before you can pull the trigger again. I have had it not "reset" and kept pulling with nothing happening. Much different from a guy that grew up with smith revolver trigger. Other than that they seem to be reliable and the 9mm will be more powerful than .38 with better ammo availability.

Posts: 32 | Registered: August 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
How do you like that .327 LCR?

I’ve shot the .38 version of the LCR and was always very impressed with it.

I like the idea that you get an extra round in a J frame sized wheel gun!

PASig--
I like the .327 Federal Magnum version of the LCR a lot. I have now owned three LCRs (two .38s and the .327), as I foolishly sold the two .38s due to not being impressed with the caliber/roundcount and one of them went to my pastor, who was in need (and wanted) a first gun.
I will not be selling the .327 LCR. Ever. As you mentioned, the sixth round in a small-ish revolver changes the game, for me. The cartridge is fascinating, due to reloading possibilities from mild to wild.
The flexibility to shoot .32 H&R Magnum or other .32 cartridges means that one can tailor the LCR to their recoil sensitivities (or lack thereof). I have shot both .32 H&R and full-house .327 Federal Magnum ammo in it, thus far. The .32 H&R was pretty potent as-is. The .327 ammo (Jamison brand at 1,400fps and 429 ft-lbs of energy) was incredibly impressive.
However...the recoil was 'different' than shooting a hot .357 in the same-frame LCR or a hot .38+P in the lighter-frame LCR. Big boom, but the pushback wasn't as snappy, in my opinion. Best of both worlds.

I can carry in my pocket a six-shot revolver with 18 rounds (6 in the LCR and two speed strips for reloads). Pretty impressive.

In short: I am falling in love with .327 Federal Magnum, and was already in love with the LCR from the beginning.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The closest thing I've had to pocket carry was a Kahr CW9 that I cut the grip length to a PM size. It was perfect! Gave me the extra barrel length for velocity and sight picture but still fit in my cargo shorts pocket. It was so great my daughter shot with it and loved it, so guess who has it now!

Posts: 68 | Location: Great State of Jefferson (Nor CA) | Registered: December 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree. I carry a PM9, but CM9 can be had for less money.

I will second the Kahr suggestion. I bought a CM9 last year and I find it to be fantastic for pocket carry...[/QUOTE]

Yep. CM9 or it's more expensive almost twin brother the PM9.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 15 | Registered: March 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I frequently carry a G43 in the pocket, using a Desantis pocket holster. I have zero concern with inadvertent discharge. Always chambered. I use a pearce +1 baseplate which lengthens the grip just slightly, and Trijicon HD sights. The HD sights are significant because the rear is a bit sharp. I don't break the edges of the sharp sight in part because it's not been an issue, and in part because I don't want areas where the black will rub off.

The only issue with that setup is the potential for the rear sight to snag, impeding the draw. To draw, I place my thumb over the sight and the pistol slips out of my pocket; the thumb guides it clear of the pocket material.

Before I carried the G43 with a round in the chamber, I carried it for a couple of weeks without, but there was no need. There is no way for the trigger to be depressed in the holster and it's secure in the pocket. It's thin, lightweight, and on occasions when other forms of carry aren't convenient, works great. I usually carry two extra mags with it.

Not a big fan of Kahrs. I have several, and after experience with the pistols, don't have a lot of good to say. I wish Kahr had been able to fix them in their multiple trips back...but they couldn't, and I wouldn't trust my life to one.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
238 or 938, either in one of Ryan Grizzles excellent pocket holsters. As safe as a pistol can be.

Skip

Posts: 765 | Location: West Central Ga. | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
The LCR in either 9mm or .327 Federal would probably work for pocket carry. Six rounds in either one are better than the five rounds in the .38 SPL model. The only downside to the .327 version would be the lack of availability of .327 ammo. It is also expensive, unless you reload. I carried a PM9 for a couple of years. I replaced it with a P290RS which I shot better. It got sold and replaced with the G43, which for now is my pocket 9mm. In a year or two I’ll probably try out the SIG P365.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roustabout:
The LCR in either 9mm or .327 Federal would probably work for pocket carry. Six rounds in either one are better than the five rounds in the .38 SPL model. The only downside to the .327 version would be the lack of availability of .327 ammo. It is also expensive, unless you reload. I carried a PM9 for a couple of years. I replaced it with a P290RS which I shot better. It got sold and replaced with the G43, which for now is my pocket 9mm. In a year or two I’ll probably try out the SIG P365.

The 9mm LCR holds only five rounds.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post