SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    229 Dovetail Flaired Out
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

229 Dovetail Flaired Out Login/Join 
Picture of carriganzl
posted
I recently purchased a used 229 with dim factory night sights. I had noticed that the dovetails were slightly flaired taking the old sights out. When I put the new sights in, it just got worse. The old sights were removed and new sights installed with a sight pusher. The were removed right to left and installed left to right. I've changed a few sights on some P226 stainless slides without this happening. Has anyone seen this before? I don't think they will fall out, but I definitely haven't seen it before.

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.

Posts: 955 | Location: Western NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Yes, pretty much everytime sights are changed to some degree.

Did you fit the sights or just push them in?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've encountered, the sights should be drifted out to the right (ejection port side) and reinstalled from the right pushing left. The dovetails are made with a bit of taper, causing them to get tighter as they seat deeper. If drifted out from the ejection port side to the left, it will deform the dovetail at the narrow left side.

Posts: 23 | Location: Maine | Registered: January 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The dovetails are not flared out. That is just an illusion caused by the curve of the slide and the angle of the dovetail cutter. Your slide is fine.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You can see in both pics a little raised metal but, as GaryBF posted, the dovetail cuts are fine.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carriganzl
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I didn't need to file the new sights as they seemed to go in smooth, but I've just never seen this before.

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.

Posts: 955 | Location: Western NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post