SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    EVO Scorpion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EVO Scorpion Login/Join 
posted
I was at a local gun show yesterday and got to see and hold (without the cable locks) the EVO Scorpion pistol and carbine. Does anyone have any experience with them regarding recoil, balance, shooting issues? The pistol is rated as weighing 5 pounds but felt much lighter including the carbine which is rated as 6.8 pounds. The carbine is nice since it has a folding stock.

One very nice feature of both firearms is that the magazines are available for only $20 apiece. That is a lot cheaper than the $60-$70 magazines for the SIG MPX. For all of my guns I like to buy a lot of magazines and rotate them and have them available.

One main difference I noticed between the SIG is that the EVO Scorpion uses a simple blowback design versus SIG short stroke piston.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have one they are great. I prefer the B&T apc 9 but for getting down to business the benefits are small.

Fired as a pistol, the scorpion has a noticeable upward and right recoil. Throw a sling or a brace on it and it's a non issue.

Mine came from the factory with the iron sights dead nuts zereod. It has been extremely accurate and 100% reliable. The trigger isn't the greatest, but you can still shoot it fast and accurately.

I threw a few upgrades on mine, like a new right side safety selector and a new grip.

The only downside is the first gen of mags, the feedlips crack easily, but newer gen and 3rd party mags resolve that.

It's a fantastic gun, the only way you are going to get something better is to spend more than double, and even then the differences are all in fit finish and feel.

Buy with confidence, they are badass.

Note there are at least two versions of the gun, mine is the newer one that has a standardized thread pitch on the barrel.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have the carbine, Lotsa EVO owners here. You've nailed the distinct advantage with price of the mags too. Cost of initial ownership is much less than a Sig as well. While it is very fun, It won't replace any of my M4orgerys from a more practical applications standpoint. Its does fold down quite nicely into my pack and has very balanced feel. It ingests all the ammo I've fed it to date. Aside from simple aftermarkets mods I added ( changed the safety) its GTG.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that it is super quiet suppressed, blows a noticeable lack of gas into your face vs an mpx.

Prefer it over every other similar gun on the market including the sp5k, only bested by the apc9 which starts around 2k.

Check online, preppergunshop usually has low prices on them.

-Freq

Posts: 192 | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I bought onpointgun's EVO Scorpion. I took it out to the range yesterday. LOVE IT. It has a Holosun site on it and was knocking over plates in the back of the bay with ease!

His picture:

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've shot it side-by-side with my Gen2 MPX. Cost no object to me the winner is clear. Cost-dependent and the choice is a lot tougher. The trigger on the SIG is MIL-spec AR level, not great but better than the CZ. But I'm still wanting Geissele to get that MPX trigger of theirs onto the market. Both are quite usable. The mass and balance of the MPX I find more agreeable with me; the EVO feels less substantial and more toyish, if there's such a thing. The heaps of plasticky polymer hinders it for me; it doesn't seem to exude the same sort of feel and aura that other heavily polymered guns like the AUG, X95 or PS90 do. I think the bulk of my issues with the Scorpion resides with its switchgear and how I don't care for how any of it looks and feels.

I found that I could more easily shoot the SIG with better accuracy, but neither was really a slouch in that regard. The off-side safety selector on the CZ is definitely a vile, foul thing designed and located by a most sadistic person. In terms of aesthetics the SIG has the look of a proper subgun; the styling of the EVO is for me cartoonish and an acquired taste that I've sort of warmed up to but still haven't gotten the point of, since I don't (normally) reside in a Star Trek universe.

Of course if one is looking for the big downside to the SIG, it's all in the price, both for the gun and accessories; that cost difference between it and the CZ is hard if not impossible to ignore. I grimace every time I buy mags for my MPX, even when SIG has them on sale. Almost as bad as when I buy mags for my P210 Legend. At most shops a factory braced SIG will almost get you TWO EVOs, and based on my live fire time the SIG isn't close to being twice the gun. It is however closer to my idea of what a 9mm subgun should be, which is why I chose to buy the MPX over the Scorpion EVO.

Both are loads of fun, but when I add up my score card the SIG is better overall even with the price difference. YMMGV.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that the MPX's manual of arms closely resembles that of an AR platform gun, and that means a lot to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soggy_spinout,

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I've shot it side-by-side with my Gen2 MPX. Cost no object to me the winner is clear. Cost-dependent and the choice is a lot tougher. The trigger on the SIG is MIL-spec AR level, not great but better than the CZ. But I'm still wanting Geissele to get that MPX trigger of theirs onto the market. Both are quite usable. The mass and balance of the MPX I find more agreeable with me; the EVO feels less substantial and more toyish, if there's such a thing. The heaps of plasticky polymer hinders it for me; it doesn't seem to exude the same sort of feel and aura that other heavily polymered guns like the AUG, X95 or PS90 do. I think the bulk of my issues with the Scorpion resides with its switchgear and how I don't care for how any of it looks and feels.

I found that I could more easily shoot the SIG with better accuracy, but neither was really a slouch in that regard. The off-side safety selector on the CZ is definitely a vile, foul thing designed and located by a most sadistic person. In terms of aesthetics the SIG has the look of a proper subgun; the styling of the EVO is for me cartoonish and an acquired taste that I've sort of warmed up to but still haven't gotten the point of, since I don't (normally) reside in a Star Trek universe.

Of course if one is looking for the big downside to the SIG, it's all in the price, both for the gun and accessories; that cost difference between it and the CZ is hard if not impossible to ignore. I grimace every time I buy mags for my MPX, even when SIG has them on sale. Almost as bad as when I buy mags for my P210 Legend. At most shops a factory braced SIG will almost get you TWO EVOs, and based on my live fire time the SIG isn't close to being twice the gun. It is however closer to my idea of what a 9mm subgun should be, which is why I chose to buy the MPX over the Scorpion EVO.

Both are loads of fun, but when I add up my score card the SIG is better overall even with the price difference. YMMGV.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that the MPX's manual of arms closely resembles that of an AR platform gun, and that means a lot to me.

Good write up soggy-spinout it is very helpful. I too like the SIG better but since I am trying to get more guns with my money I am looking at the EVO Scorpion.

Question: is there much more or different type of recoil for the CZ scorpion since it is blowback and not short stroke gas piston like the SIG? Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For the cost in what will likely be a plinker, it's hard to pass on the Scorpion. Mine is a pistol with the Shockwave brace, but I can convert it to an SBR whenever I get around to it.

Recent mags are fine and much cheaper than the MPX - problem was someone installed the 30rd springs in the 20rd magazines, which caused a bunch of issues.

I wanted to get on the MPX train, but it took FOREVER, magazines cost 3x that of the Scorpion, they've already been through some teething issues with it, so at this point it's a pass for me. I already have a 9MM AR SBR so between it and the Scorpion, I have no need for an expensive, proprietary weapon from SIG.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Danman
posted Hide Post
Here's mine:

I think it's one of the softest shooting SBR's and extremely versatile.

As you can see, I double-stamped this pig and it's quiet too. Action is good (I wouldn't say the trigger is amazing) and it eats anything I throw at it. You can also shoot it with the stock closed.

NRA Certified Instructor

Posts: 970 | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
For the cost in what will likely be a plinker, it's hard to pass on the Scorpion. Mine is a pistol with the Shockwave brace, but I can convert it to an SBR whenever I get around to it.

Recent mags are fine and much cheaper than the MPX - problem was someone installed the 30rd springs in the 20rd magazines, which caused a bunch of issues.

I wanted to get on the MPX train, but it took FOREVER, magazines cost 3x that of the Scorpion, they've already been through some teething issues with it, so at this point it's a pass for me. I already have a 9MM AR SBR so between it and the Scorpion, I have no need for an expensive, proprietary weapon from SIG.

Good point Rhinowso, for what will probably only ever be a plink ring firearm, the scorpion is a lot cheaper than the sig.

Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I was down to the Scorpion and the MPX. I jumped on a new 8 inch MPX Gen 2 with arm brace on GunBroker just because it had a "low" buy it now price of $1,400... low for what I see most new MPX's going for. But I have seen some used Scorpions going for $700-$800 bucks so it's definitely the better deal. I like the look of the MPX more than the futuristic looking Scorpion. Although Danman's Scorpion pic above looks pretty sweet.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't recall reading a bad Scorpion review. The price to get in the door is so much lower than anything like it, mags are cheap, and there is a very healthy aftermarket. I have a Scorpion pistol with Shockwave brace and love it. It's 90% of my MP5 clone at less than half the price.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I love my Scorpion carbine. It's a lot of fun to shoot. Cost was the major factor for me. Magazines are so much cheaper and there is a pretty good aftermarket for accessories and mods. I have about 800 rounds through mine without a hiccup. When I go to the range a lot of people want to shoot it.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post