SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found my Unicorn: P226R SAO Elite
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found my Unicorn: P226R SAO Elite Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
I stumbled on a P226R SAO Elite a few weeks ago and I think I've found my unicorn. I've carried various P220 and P226 models since my first "West German" Sig in the early 1980's, and loved the SAO versions as an alternative to my 1911 choices. I considered the P226 Legion for awhile, but didn't think the special "Legion" features were worth the added cost and preferred the Nitron finish. When I spotted this P226R SAO Elite, I couldn't resist snapping it up. The trigger on my current EDC (a Wilson Combat X9 EDC) is no better than the Sig's, and both are equally accurate. If there's any "buyers' remorse" at all that I'm suffering from, it's that I spent as much as I did on the Wilson and all the accessories, before I found this Sig "Unicorn." I can't speak highly enough about this particular P226 offering.

BTW: I did personalize the pistol with Hogue "Extreme" checkered G10 grips, some Trijicon (Yellow front) XD XR sights, and a blackened stainless steel recoil spring guide.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Finding that perfect pistol that you always wanted is rewarding. I've had a few unicorns that I was able to chase down and yours would look great anywhere.
Finding what you need to customize it to make it the way you want it is even better.

Let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neverfollow
posted Hide Post
I picked one of those up a few weeks ago in a trade for a P320 X Carry with a romeo1. Guy didn't like the SAO. Fitted it with a set of Sig SAO walnut grips and its beautiful and a great shooter.

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of them. Well, one and a half. Bought an elite in 9mm when they were clearing them out a couple years ago for cheap. Added a set of Hogue chain link X-series grips and liked it so much I built another one from a 22 sao classic frame and the slide from a .40 226 I already had. Added a .357 sig barrel and factory g10 grips and it's a nice shooter.

Congrats on finding one you like.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Very nice & Congrats. I only wish Sig made the Elite model with the short extractor, that and perhaps eliminate the rail.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on finding your Unicorn. What a great looking handgun.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the longest time, until I bought my CZ's, my P226 SAO RX was my most accurate, and favorite pistol. The trigger is amazing. It led me to buy a P226 Legion SAO, but I was disappointed to find the trigger just wasn't as good.

Great find!

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Cool!

Finding that perfect pistol that you always wanted is rewarding. I've had a few unicorns that I was able to chase down and yours would look great anywhere.
Finding what you need to customize it to make it the way you want it is even better.

Let us know how it shoots.

I've put about 100 rounds through it. Sorry, no pics, but at 30 feet I'm easily able to make one hole groups with five rounds. 15 yards plus "X" ring groups are so easy its boring. I have a couple Nighthawk custom 1911s and it shoots just as well (at about 1/4 the cost of what I paid for those).

If I need to downsize a bit, I can go to my P220C SAO and if downsizing a lot is necessary, I've got my P938 Legion for a similar (Condition 3 safety) operating system.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot the SAO Elite at a company demonstration day in the local range and liked it better than the Legion but was told it was discontinued. I don't know why they kept it in their selection.

The real purpose of the demonstration appeared to be flogging the P320. They had a case with all the different uppers and lowers and would module one to your taste to try out.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I shot the SAO Elite at a company demonstration day in the local range and liked it better than the Legion but was told it was discontinued. I don't know why they kept it in their selection.

The real purpose of the demonstration appeared to be flogging the P320. They had a case with all the different uppers and lowers and would module one to your taste to try out.

I've got a P320 with a Gray Guns custom trigger. It's a cut above my Glocks, but the best triggers I've ever tested for a P320 fail to be anywhere near as crisp as that on my P226R SAO Elite. The latter also has the advantage (IMHO) of a manual safety, that allows operation of the slide while engaged. It's a great system and I think the finish (Nitron) is better than that provided on the Legion series pistols.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I really wish I had of picked one of those up when they were out.
The .22 cal one was a steal at $540. Screwed the pooch on that one too.
Same frame as the Legion SAO, just none of the fluff and it's anodized.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 220 SAO and really like it. At the risk of starting a war, I think the 220SAO is the gun JMB would design today instead of the 1911! I also have the 226 Elite SAO still NIB, so I need to drag it out and shoot it sometime, but not in a hurry since I have several other 226s to use. Just wish I hade jumped on a 5”version when they were available- doubt Sig will ever make any more.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I've never handled an aluminum frame P226 SAO. Glad you like that new pistol!
I have the 220 SAO in 10mm. Also a P226 X-5 Short & Smart in 9mm.
And more than a few of the the all stainless P220's and P226's. In ST and Elite configurations. (DA/SA)

But then I bought this one from a Forum Member.
All Stainless, (German stainless frame) P226 SAO, Nitron, in .357 SIG. It's one of the TX DPS serial numbered run.

Some months ago while browsing that discount seller in Texas, I found a new set of SIG factory wood grips with the TX DPS embellishments. I promptly bought the grips at a great price.
Sorry, no photos of the new wood grips yet.

I have a weakness for the all stainless P226 and P220 pistols.

IMG_20200717_160308970 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find. I would love to shoot one of those side by side with my 226 Legion SAO which is my overall favorite gun.

The trigger on my Legion is outstanding and I love the flat blade. I would put it up against any factory 1911 in terms of trigger, accuracy, reliability, etc. but I do wish the Legion series were black.

If I came across one of those Elite SAO's like yours for the right price and trigger was good as my Legion then yeah, I'd probably have to buy it too.

Congrats!

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: January 07, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post