SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Have adjustable sights ever moved on you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have adjustable sights ever moved on you? Login/Join 
posted
Unintentionally.

I just wonder as traditional gun nut wisdom is that adjustable sights do not belong on carry guns.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moved, not that I noticed. Gotten caught on clothing, yes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Not that I can remember. I have had a fixed front site start moving and my shooting grew worse with me being perplexed. I hadn't notice the site had moved until it dropped right out off the dovetail.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. P220 SAO 10mm with adjustable target sights. However the whole sight assembly came loose. SIG sent me a replacement that has been OK so far.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes and often enough that I would never carry a set.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What kind of adjustability? I had a nominally fixed but adjustable for windage and held with a set screw come loose and shift. The adjustable sights found on some metal-frame S&W pistols, I don't think dropping them off a cliff could budge them. My main beef with fully adjustable target sights (most of them) for concealed carry is their high profiles and sharp corners.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
I have had a fixed front site start moving and my shooting grew worse with me being perplexed. I hadn't notice the site had moved until it dropped right out off the dovetail.

Something similar happened to me with my USP Expert. The front sight gradually shifted to the far left, and I didn't notice until my shooting was far worse than usual. It hadn't quite fallen out yet, but it was close.

I don't recall an issue with adjustable rear sights moving, but I haven't owned that many pistols with fully adjustable sights.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have two pistols with click-adjustable sights: a SIG X5 Comp and a Beretta 87 Target. Their sights have never moved accidentally, but I don’t carry either of them.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I like adjustable sights. I even daily carried an adjustable sight J-frame in an ankle holster for more than 12 years

I have had two sights move on me over the past 40+ years of carrying and shooting.

One was a fixed sight pistol that turned out to have a mis-cut dovetail

The other was an adjustable sight single shot that had a loose pin

Both issues were fixed by their respective manufacturers and have been perfect ever since.

I still own both firearms to this day

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have banged S&W revolver sights and broken the corners off of them, but they stayed in adjustment.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I carried S&W revolvers and Colt semi-autos with adjustable sights on duty. They sometimes got banged around. Never moved.

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Yes. S&W M&P 9 Pro steel challenge gun. Thousands upon thousands of rounds through it. The rear sight is held by a set-screw, and twice I had it come loose during a match and shift to the side. Wondered why I couldn't hit a big plate 10 yards away...
Some non-permanent Loc-Tite cured that.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No not in 6o+ years, and I have them on almost all of my pistols.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Yes.
I had for a very short time a P220 Dark Elite that had that issue. The rear sight on those are terrible. I sold it (almost giving it away) because I was tired of dealing with it.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can’t keep the sights on a Ruger Blackhawk in place long enough to trust they are zeroed. They lose windage adjustment in as little as 50 rounds. I guess it’ll be loctited one day.

Beretta Neos won’t hold elevation or the tiny roll pins either for that matter. It’s been back to the mothership once. Waste of a good box as far as I’m concerned. Now it wears a red dot and I’m happy I guess.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried pistols and revolvers in peace and war since 1964...and never had an adjustable sight move on my...Rugers, Colts, and S&W's. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was at the range when my guests groups started wandering on a smith Wesson polymer pistol’s rear sight set screw gave way. The sight was fine and functioned but it had a set screw that backed out and the whole assy went on walk about

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
No, not that I could tell.

Though, my experince with adjustable sights is limited to range/hunting handguns.

Colt Gold Cup NM, S&W 2206
Colt, Ruger and S&W revolvers.

Rifles, yes... I've had semi buckhorns change notch/levels, mostly from contact with external objects.

Wouldn't carry adjustable, don't see the benefit, just detractions.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yes. P228 sight installed by a prominent gunsmith on this very forum. Sight started to migrate. Had to send the slide on a second trip back to him for correction.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Decades ago, I had a Taurus PT-99 that the factory rear adjustable sight would move in several different directions at once after a small number of rounds through it...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post