SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    22 ammo reliability tip that I never heard of
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 ammo reliability tip that I never heard of Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I certainly can’t claim I haven’t done the same as times but I like to think I know enough not to derail an entire discussion. That email conversation gave a lot of details from very high volume, very high end shooters. It’s a shame it wasn’t included in this thread.

I shoot a lot of 22. I had never heard of this tip. At this point I’m pulling it out of the “tip” bin and placing it in the “solid idea” bin. It was that dramatic a change.

Like I said, I certainly can’t cast stones since I live in my own glass house and certainly could have been guilty of over reacting but it rubbed me wrong. It would have rubbed me wrong in person as well and I would have said so.

Anyway, good discussion if you can walk past the nonsense.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

I shoot a lot of 22. I had never heard of this tip. At this point I’m pulling it out of the “tip” bin and placing it in the “solid idea” bin. It was that dramatic a change.

I wonder if putting a shop cloth on a cookie sheet, spraying with your choice of oil, laying another shop towel on top the cartridges and rubbing briskly would do as good a job as wiping each one individually.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything would be better than my current “system”. Lol. Honestly I think the rotary tumbler is the best idea.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I think the rotary tumbler is the best idea.

What tumbling media?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any kind really. No need for any additives.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Wiping unfired cartridges with oil isn't always a good idea. With anything but pedestrian calibers, it can lead to excessive pressures and lockup problems. The example I offer is the 22 Jet, where the classic answer is to wipe your unfired ammo with lighter fluid or gasoline prior to shooting. The guns came with a tapered cleaning jag. Instead of using them to clean or oil, you use them to clean the chambers of any oil or oil residue. Lack of oil prevents them from "setting back". Again use the solvent on the cases you're going to fire. The difference is just amazing. The revolver functions flawlessly.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This entire thread is about 22 rimfire. You see me mention wiping down centerfire? Nope. I mentioned oil seeping into primers was bad juju. This entire thread is about 22 rimfire. Does this improve reliability?

Why don’t you just go clean your fucking guns and quit trying to derail my thread.

Classic example the 22 Jet. When exactly was the last time you saw anyone shoot 22Jet on a normal basis? Oh brother. I guess you used those a lot in the military right? Different military than mine I guess. Everyone one who shoots 22 Jet on a regular basis raise your hand. Ok, I see a couple hands way back in the room. Fml

Pedestrian calibers? It’s 22 long rifle for fucks sake. It is the most pedestrian of calibers. Especially compared to 22 Jet, which no one has fired this century. Do you actually read threads or just comment pellmell?

Your rude interjection with no actual input into this discussion nearly derailed this thread the first time. Please don’t do it again. Nobody gives a shit about 22 Jet setback in their Blackhawk. Or Redhawk or Hawkeye, or whatever they called it. Stupid cartridge chambered in like one revolver, one Ruger, and the Contender. I’m sure I missed some but what’s your point bringing up an obsolete round that sucked from the get go? Read the fucking thread title at least. This is about 22’s. Not 22 Jet, Hornet, 22-250, 223, 220 Swift. Nope, just pedestrian 22lr.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

posted Hide Post
Geez, just ignore such digressions, don't waste lifespan berating them.

Trivia: .22 LR is actually the best sealed ammunition I know of other than true military. When my house burned in The Incident of 2010, my ammo was soaked by fire hose water and then by rain through the burnt out roof. Most of the centerfire was damaged or spoiled, except for USGI .45 ACP.

The salvaged .22s just soldiered on, I am still using some. Aquila is about like some of the cheap stuff, an occasional misfire but plenty usable for practice or plinking.
I got into some Winchester T22. It looks awful, coated with white lead corrosion product but it shoots in revolver or auto.

Jet trivia: Here is one being shot last week. In Switzerland.
https://thefiringline.com/foru...6846507&postcount=18

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably good advice that in this case I won’t take. Rburg has been shitting in this thread from the beginning. He hasn’t produced anything of value yet he drives by and trolls. He’s being an asshole for no reason. This thread produced some good information. It’s shameful that it diverted into what it did. People shouldn’t have to email great information because they didn’t want to put it in a thread that went sideways.

So to recap rburg’s input. Clean your gun and don’t lube 22 Jet ammo. What the fuck?

Nice link. You don’t see many Model 53’s anymore. (For good reason lol)

posted Hide Post
Ok I got some more information. I relayed it incorrectly so here is the straight skinny.

Corn cob media, not walnut. The walnut media will actually do a poor job. In some instances even make the ammo “dustier”. So, corn cob media, the coarser the better. Spray 2-3 one second squirts of WD40 in media then tumble for 60-90 minutes. Perfection.

Good luck. Now I have to find a rotary tumbler myself since the vibratory kinds aren’t as effective for this.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Interesting thanks. I use walnut primarily. I don't see myself tumbling any .22LR but it's good to know what works. I wonder if removing the lube will have any impact on leading or copper fouling in your guns over the long haul? After all the lube is there for a reason.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt you will see any adverse effects. SOME lube is there for a reason. Most of it just is extra that the manufacturers don’t take the extra step to remove. Besides which the WD40 in this case probably has the same effect as the wax.

Truthfully I wouldn’t do this with quality ammo that shows no issues. If I was a top shelf competitor I would but I’m not so I won’t. On problematic ammo that tends to malfunction though I will continue this. Especially if I was using it at a match. I usually save my mini mags for matches though.

I don’t own a rotary tumbler but if I did I probably would just make this a standard thing. Using a tumbler is easy, you can do it in bulk, and in my limited testing is night and day better. Prior to any rimfire match I will probably do it as well. 150 rounds even by hand isn’t back breaking and the results speak for themself in my view.

posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.....now to find an economically priced tumbler. Any ideas on where to look ? I just looked at Dillon and all I saw where vibrating models and pricey.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got nothing except that cheap and a Dillon are never used in same sentence. Lol

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight has one for $49.95.

Probably ChiCom and probably worth what you pay for it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...rEAUYAiABEgI5gvD_BwE

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But it’s a Chicago Electric. That can’t possibly be chicom can it? Lol

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update on the tumbling details.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
De nada

posted Hide Post
pedropcola, no sir, I never heard of this tip. Before this post, I read every post of the four pages and learned a lot. Thank you for starting this thread! .22lr is one of my favorite rounds and I have several options to dispense it from. (semi autos, lever action and revolver) Though I can't remember ever shooting in the cold conditions you have. Your post on page 2, from January 21, 2021 at 9:07am, for me, nails the point. Yes, oil works under those conditions. Awesome. The tip was proven, no question about it.

With this thread I also learned to use my Rem Oil instead of CLP on certain parts of the guns. Again, this forum and this thread produced usable information and proven ideas.

Like you, I tend to shoot a variety of .22lr ammo. Years ago when Walmart had Remington, and Federal bulk boxes readily available I acquired a fair amount of it. As well as a lot of CCI Mini Mags in both 36 and 40 grain. Yes, even tubs of Remington Golden.

I'll now pay more attention to the condition of the ammo, the conditions I'm using it under as well as what, if any, issues I have and remember the correlation.

Thank you pedropcola, thank you very much.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same to you Mark. I am glad you found it as useful as I did. I’m more of a mid 40’s and up temperature guy but science demanded my sacrifice. Lol