SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    22 ammo reliability tip that I never heard of
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 ammo reliability tip that I never heard of Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’ve got both in my background, do you? You are the dumbass who ignored my actual question and told me to clean my gun. I gave the parameters of the problem. Did I say it was dirty? Did not my third post address it was clean and lubed? Did your dumbass ask if the gun was dirty? Nope. And if you are ex military then you should know as well as I do that they preached cleaning past the point of usefulness. White glove nonsense. Guns should have oil in places. Get your nonsense out of here if you can’t be bothered to actually read the post. Yes I said dumbass. Directed at you.

Maybe you should wipe off your trifocals and actually read what I posted before spouting off. Spoken from an old man to an old man. Fuck

Edited to add: this is the same stupid nonsense when somebody asks if anyone has ever tried an umptysquatch on their gun and the idiots come out of the woodwork telling them their money is better spent on ammo and training. It was a simple question. Ever heard of wiping down rimfire ammo to get better reliability? Go clean your gun. What?

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I shouldn't interject my comments when an argument has turned into a quarrel, but here goes:

It is possible to get a gun TOO clean.
In particular, my Model 41 requires the first round of several magazines to be oiled after a good cleaning.
After it has been shot and built up some bullet lube and soot in the chamber, oil is no longer necessary.
It eventually gets coked up enough to require cleaning, but then it is back to oiled ammo for a while.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No worries. Pet peeve is some jackwagon who either didn’t read my question or decided to ignore it trying to be the smartest guy in the room. It was a pretty simple question. If you don’t know the answer then walk on by, no harm no foul. Getting your panties in a bunch because I said your comment was dumb, priceless.

This Aguila is very dirty. Feels waxy and case is dull looking. I’ve had issues with it for the last three thousand rounds. Two more to go. My buddy just casually mentioned his tip and it made me scratch my head. I’ve never considered doing that and I certainly never would have thought of it on my own.

Sounds like others have used this “tip” in varying forms. I wanted to get up this morning early to try it again in cold temps. But it was too cold. Lol

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
My question should have been more specific. Ever heard of wiping down rimfire to improve performance? Ever heard of any issues by doing so? Is this all hogwash and the 8 degree warmer day was 100% of the improvement. I just don’t want to waste my time if it’s snake oil. I appreciate sage advice but telling me to clean a gun when you didn't even ask if it was dirty is just dumb. I’m not a big gun cleaner, except my rimfires. Because I understand they don’t work well dirty. Same questions but now with the understanding that the gun was clean and lubed as normal which is to say a very light, thin oil on the rails. Go.

Many years ago I read a thread on Rimfire Central that talked about removing excess lube as on of the ways to 'tune' 22lr ammo for accuracy. Some brands are lightly luber, but some put it on the same way NFL recivers used to use stickum.

I have a lot of loaded 38 special LSW 158's and some of it's so old the lube on the bullets dried out. This causes accuracy issues because the bullets lead the barrel heavily when dry. I've taken to using a little CLP on a rag, and wiping them down before loading.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright. Science time it is. It is supposed to be 30 degrees tomorrow at 9 when my club opens. A couple degrees colder than when I wrote this post. Because I love you guys and science must prevail, I will bundle up and take my neuropathic hands shooting with my newly lubed ammo. Maybe start with the “just the tip” suggestion and then go the full Monty if that doesn’t work. Only change is Mobil 1 5W-20 instead of RemOil. Nothing else changes. Just wiped diem the gun so it’s clean again as well. (I did take apart one mag to clean but it was surprisingly clean so I only did one)

Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
such hostility from pedro....

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Try throwing a handful in your tumbler. I use walnut shells with a bit of liquid soap and liquid auto polish. Cleans and lubes cases pretty good. Should work on bullets also.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s not a bad idea. I don’t have any primers so I might as well use tumbler for something.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to your results with lubed ammo in the cold. I personally wouldn’t put sticky lubed anything in a tumbler with corn or walnut media. It’ll just stick to the lube and make it worse at least for a while. Maybe if you tumble long enough it’ll come off.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot thousands of rounds of Aguila ammunition in 22 Long rifle and had no more problems with it than I have with CCI or federal. The one thing I noticed with my 22 LR handguns is that the higher velocity the ammunition the less jams that I have. The one ammunition that function flawlessly was Fiocchi's which is usually higher pressure. I also shoot Aguila and 9 mm and it is functioned flawlessly. 22 LR semiautomatics are problematic by their nature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Another advocate here for cleaning the gun. It works wonders.

Second, I try to buy high velocity ammo instead of standard velocity when I can. I find I have far more failures with standard velocity ammo.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuck. It’s like nobody reads threads anymore before commenting. So, let’s recap. The gun is clean. It’s not 8th and I clean but it's clean. It’s lubed. It’s a Kadet conversions that I’ve owned for probably 15 years and easily north of 20k rounds of ammo. If you use the search function every time I’ve talked about my Kadets I routinely refer to them as sewing machines because they just run. I’ve used pretty much every bulk pack, all velocities other than hypervelocity, and I have ran it cold, hot, clean and dirty. It’s not the gun. It’s not dirty.

I bought a case of Aguila from Buds. It came destroyed in its packaging and damp from poor packing and handling. 5000 rounds. I own about a dozen 22’s. I have shot about 2/3’s of the case or 3000 rounds. It has been malfunctioning in everything. Beretta 87 (also wicked reliable), MkIII, both of my Kadets, it’s fine in my revolvers minus the occasional light strikes. This ammo has been poor from the start. The only ammo I’ve used that was this bad was Remington Golden Bullets. Those got so bad over the years that even at good prices I would pass it up.

I’m sure some people love Aguila and Rem Golden’s. They haven’t worked in my guns. In the case of Aguila, maybe it’s water damaged, maybe it’s a bad case, don’t know. It’s bad though. It’s one thing to have a malfunction with rimfire, to have a 5-10% malfunction rate is crazy. Mostly failures to feed, eject (stovepipe), light strikes.

So yes I’m getting testy. If you want to come over and clean an already clean gun, you are welcome to. It’s not a dirty gun issue for fucks sake. I can’t be more clear than that.

It is wicked cold this morning. I’ve got my oil, I’ve got my rag, I’m going to try to do this again. And yes, it’s clean.

I agree with high velocity ammo being better for semi’s. I have used SV ammo plenty though and I haven’t had issues like this before. These Kadets and my Beretta 87 are my go to guns when all else fails. They just work. Never had any issues with SV ammo. If I want malfunctions I just pullout my Beretta 21a and shoot anything waxy, slow, let the gun get even a tiny bit dirty, etc.

posted Hide Post
Ok. Just got back. It’s cold.

Range was at 31 degrees which is a degree or two colder than in first post. Clean gun (not that anyone will read that), lubed, two boxes of Aguila Rifle Match competition. One box was meticulously (not really) wiped lightly down with Mobil 1 synthetic which I also use as one of my primary lubricants. The other box was just as it was made in old Mexico, straight from the mothership.

Cold gun, cold ammo, cold range. I didn’t want to throw off results by shooting gun and warming it up so first mag was of the lightly oiled rounds. Fed and fired no issues. Second mag was the NON oiled Aguila’s. First three rounds fed and fired then it became a single shot again. Fire a round, click, discover an empty chamber, fire, click, fire, click. You get the drill. So third mag I also used the NON oiled rounds but I take first round and put drop of oil on lead nose, wipe it around with finger and load her up. Mag feeds and fires everything. Go back to non oiled rounds and shoot single shot again. Oiled rounds back to normal ops.

This continues for a recognizable pattern. Oiled rounds function fine. Oiling just the top round in each mag also fired fine. NON oiled rounds at 31 degrees will not function. They stick enough that they consistently wouldn't feed the following round (short stroking).

I shot enough and it was consistently the same results that I am now a believer. At a minimum I think I’m going to do the oil the first round to fire routine. It worked in this limited test. Oiling all the rounds definitely worked. Doing nothing was a bust again.

Not exactly laboratory science but I’m convinced. I’m saying the myth is real. Sorry Mythbusters for stealing your tagline.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
A lot of BE shooters oil the first round of the magazine in both rim and center fire Lead rounds only, jacketed don't seem to have this issue.

quote:
Ok. Just got back. It’s cold.

Range was at 31 degrees which is a degree or two colder than in first post. Clean gun (not that anyone will read that), lubed, two boxes of Aguila Rifle Match competition. One box was meticulously (not really) wiped lightly down with Mobil 1 synthetic which I also use as one of my primary lubricants. The other box was just as it was made in old Mexico, straight from the mothership.

Cold gun, cold ammo, cold range. I didn’t want to throw off results by shooting gun and warming it up so first mag was of the lightly oiled rounds. Fed and fired no issues. Second mag was the NON oiled Aguila’s. First three rounds fed and fired then it became a single shot again. Fire a round, click, discover an empty chamber, fire, click, fire, click. You get the drill. So third mag I also used the NON oiled rounds but I take first round and put drop of oil on lead nose, wipe it around with finger and load her up. Mag feeds and fires everything. Go back to non oiled rounds and shoot single shot again. Oiled rounds back to normal ops.

This continues for a recognizable pattern. Oiled rounds function fine. Oiling just the top round in each mag also fired fine. NON oiled rounds at 31 degrees will not function. They stick enough that they consistently wouldn't feed the following round (short stroking).

I shot enough and it was consistently the same results that I am now a believer. At a minimum I think I’m going to do the oil the first round to fire routine. It worked in this limited test. Oiling all the rounds definitely worked. Doing nothing was a bust again.

Not exactly laboratory science but I’m convinced. I’m saying the myth is real. Sorry Mythbusters for stealing your tagline.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume BE is bullseye? I never shoot that discipline so that’s probably accounting for my knowledge gap.

I was surprised at the very discernible change in performance. It wasn’t even borderline. Every time I switched back to the straight out of the box rounds it went back to a steady stream of malfunctions.

I guess I know what I’m doing this weekend. Oiling up my little Mexican compadres. Lol

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bullsey. I should have been more specific. It doesn't get very cold in Mexico, but I'll bet that Lapua Biathlon uses a different lube because it's designed to work in sub freezing temps.

quote:
I assume BE is bullseye? I never shoot that discipline so that’s probably accounting for my knowledge gap.

I was surprised at the very discernible change in performance. It wasn’t even borderline. Every time I switched back to the straight out of the box rounds it went back to a steady stream of malfunctions.

I guess I know what I’m doing this weekend. Oiling up my little Mexican compadres. Lol

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
That means Aguila which I’m pretty sure is Spanish for “problematic”.

Aquila has been hit or miss for some time. Years ago Sig Academy had a large quantity left over from testing and range use before their own ammo operations were up and running.

Some lots were extremely underpowered. So much so it was no longer used for students or any testing.

I thought it was great when they opened the trailer door and gave it away for our use in the informal LE league that was running one day a month. Now I know why.

I used the last of it during my annual firearm's qual with Epping PD for LEOSA. It did not generate enough force to reliably cycle the slide of a basically stock 320 X RX. Backup factory ammo worked 100 percent.

But I can't complain as it was free. I have to say their 22LR ammo has given consistent performance these days equal to other 22LR I've used which admittedly isn't that much.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never shot Aguila until this one case. All I can say with certainty is that this one case is 5000 rounds of shitty 22 ammo. It could have taken some water damage because it certainly wasn’t dry when it arrived but it has been consistently bad throughout the 3000 rounds this far so I think it’s just bad or it’s this lot that is bad. Would I buy it again? Today? Yes. Under normal circumstances? No.

Hey, it was an extra 5000 rounds during covid that I didn’t have to buy. So there was a bright spot. The time or two I used it in matches was not a bright spot. With this trick in hand though I might give it another shot at a match. I have a case of mini mags but I really don’t want to bust into them until I can replenish at something way south of 35 cents a round. Fml

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
thanks for your report. Interesting.

Oh, and clean your gun. *runs for the hills* Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm giving up and am going to clean my sewing machines.

Posts: 1252 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post