SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Pistol case(Plano vs pelican)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pistol case(Plano vs pelican) Login/Join 
Picture of Raff661
posted
I've been looking for a case to put my pistols in when I go to the range, I currently use a bag but I've added more to my collection so I want a case. I've been looking on amazon and have narrowed it down to the XL Plano all weather tactical or the pelican 1500, they both have great reviews but the price point is is very different, the Plano is $53 and the pelican is $109 I want to known what experience u guys have with either case and If the pelican is worth the extra cash

Question:
Plano or Pelican?

Choices:
Plano XL all weather
Pelican 1500

Posts: 37 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I don't have experience with those exact cases but have several pelican cases and they are 100% worth the money. I went through several cheaper cases over the years and had trouble with the latches on most of them.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I've not used either of those, so i googled them. the Pelican looks a lot like my Cabela's pistol hardcase I bought on a whim there. With three layers of foam, I can fit six pistols in it, layering the foam between the pistols.

The Pelican is a bit larger, per the dimensions I saw on the website. if you're set on Pelican, that would get my vote since it looks to be so similar to my Cabela's case and I love how it works, looks, and it fit my needs perfectly when I had more guns. Now that I only have 3 handguns again, I've not been using it as much lately.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at these?
I'm thinking about getting a couple of 6 packers....
One for my Wilsons, and one for my SIGs....

http://www.caseclub.com/gun-cases.htm

Posts: 36 | Registered: January 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the case club 4 pistol and accessory cases. I believe I got it on amazon. Works great for me.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for Pelican, I use them for diving, protecting gear. They have traveled all over the Caribbean with me and up to north Florida, boats, air travel and caves and they have never once failed. I have one case that I bought in 1980 (precursor to the 1500) or about that I still use. My one big one is at least 10 years old and came back from Mexico (checked luggage) just fine loaded with my dry suit and regulators.

I have big ones, medium sized ones and small ones. My only complaint with them is that they tend to be heavy. but they work.

I have one Pelican case that I put my camera in when on a dive boat, after one trip I dug it out of the hold and it had a massive grove dug out of the top, still sealed and camera fine, no idea what got smashed on it. I still use that case.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a trip to the range, the Plano is more than adequate. I'd only spend the money (and the weight) of a Pelican if it was being shipped or going on an airplane out of my control.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
For ultimate durability, the Pelican. Got one of the Plano All Weather cases for rifles. Being the cheap bastard that I am, it's relatively inexpensive and serviceable but I haven't been impressed by its toughness, particularly with its hinge design and construction. One of the hinge pins drifts on use, just like the cheesy ones on their lowball tackle boxes. For light use it's okay, but to do it right I should've paid once and stuck with Pelican, SKB or Boyt.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
If you aren't flying with it or subjecting it to hard use, the Plano is probably more than sufficient. I have one for my rifles and pelicans for my competition pistols. I rarely use either because soft cases are just more convenient.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mg1911:

I love mine.. 6 pistol with mags. Its awesome. only downside is the weight when loaded with pistols and loaded mags

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I have several PELICAN cases. Waterproof and latches that will never open unless you want them to. Accidentally drop a PELICAN case with a pistol inside and it'll be unharmed.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many Pelican cases I own are 20+ years old. That is all I need to know, right there.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raff661
posted Hide Post
Just checked out the caseclub case and the look good but for that price I can get the pelican and just cut the foam myself. The case would pretty much be for the range,no airplane travel so I am leaning a little more towards the Plano right now because of the price

Posts: 37 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raff661:
Just checked out the caseclub case and the look good but for that price I can get the pelican and just cut the foam myself. The case would pretty much be for the range,no airplane travel so I am leaning a little more towards the Plano right now because of the price

My PELICAN cases came with "cubed" foam inserts. You can remove small sections to create recessed areas for pistol(s), magazines, etc.

The aftermarket also offers replacement foam that can be custom fitted for your applications.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raff661
posted Hide Post
I actually just saw there 4 paistol backpack that might end up working better for me than the case
quote:
Originally posted by tcfiero:
I bought one of the case club 4 pistol and accessory cases. I believe I got it on amazon. Works great for me.

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mg1911:

I, too, have a case club 6-packer with spaces for extra mags per pistol. $300 was the only turn off for me. But, buy once, cry once. It will outlive me for sure.

I own several of the Pelican 1700 series cases for rifles. They are indestructible. Again, buy once, cry once.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I've started using Nanuk cases. For years I've used Pelican but these are just as good for my needs.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Raff661
posted Hide Post
I checked those nanuks out and they look great I might have just found what I've been looking for, thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
I've started using Nanuk cases. For years I've used Pelican but these are just as good for my needs.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Saw a youtube video testing between real mil surplus ammo cases and the knockoff walmart type plastic ones. Difference in that type of stuff is night and day for hard use. If its for storing you gun at home with no flood or to tote back and forth to the range, the less expensive version is fine.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I worked for a engineering firm. All of the expensive testing equipment was stored in pelican cases.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post