SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trouble with Wilson Combat 1911 mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble with Wilson Combat 1911 mags Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
Not sure what to make of this. I've been shopping to some 1911 mags. I found four for sale, used, for !9.95 each, four it them.

Took them to the range but, fully loaded, I could not get them to insert in the gun. Tried two different GSRs and a Dan Wesson Valor.

I could load 7 rounds, not problem. Eight rounds would not work. Loading eight with the slide back, then sling-shoting the slide worked okay, but one GSR had two or three FTF on the first round this way.

I had the same issue with a Wilson nine round 10mm magazine in my Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail. I couldn't get it to lock into place with the slide down.

I have several other types of 1911 mags, Some Novak which I usually use in the GSR. A couple of Checkmate mags that came with another SIG 1911, and a Chip McCormick Powermag, all were fine with eight rounds.

Based on the appearance of the magazines, they are eight round magazines. Just load them and keep them loaded?

Any ideas? These are supposed to be premium magazines, so it's odd what is going on. They are the basic mags with standard polymer base plate.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I experienced the same with brand new WILSON 8rd magazines. The WILSON magazines will not seat with one already chambered without forcing them which I don't want to do. So I carry them with 7rds. The 8rd magazines work fine when the chamber is empty.

I asked here sometime ago about the phenomenon but no one replied.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had this happen as well. What model of wilson mags were you using?

"No more 'I have to go to the bathroom'. There is no bathroom!!"

Posts: 216 | Location: SC | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigBauer:
Have had this happen as well. What model of wilson mags were you using?

They were not marked as they were used. But I believe they are the 47D.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
May I suggest that you fully disassemble and check for proper spring orientation?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When I bought Wilson ETMs (10 rounders) for my 9mm Colt Govt Model, they were difficult to seat when full and with, or without, a round chambered. What I did was to fully load them, seat them in the gun (with some pressure), and then left them to sit that way for a week or two. The constant downward pressure on the spring finally relaxed the spring a bit, enough to use them normally. This did take a bit time to get them all broken in, during which time I just shot other guns. After about 6 weeks, I had enough usable mags to shoot matches, and treated the remaining mags during the week in between matches.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
May I suggest that you fully disassemble and check for proper spring orientation?

Seems unlikely, but I'll do that.

posted Hide Post
Is the top of the follower concave or convex?

I have a couple of Checkmates that hold 8 but without enough slack left to seat them under a closed slide. I should have gotten the "extended" version.

Wilson 47D is an early design, still in production but Wilson is pushing the ETM.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
While I exclusively use Wilson's Model 47 mags (the 7-rounders), I take the following steps with new (or even "new-to-me" mags) and would do the same with 47Ds:

1. Make sure mags are clean, etc. inside - there can be a touch of oil inside even the new ones I've bought - no telling what could be the case with used ones. It appears to me that lots of folks do NOT clean their magazines.

2. Fully load the mags.

3. Set loaded mags aside for at least a week.

In my experience, this seems to help attune the mag spring to proper function (for lack of a better way to put it).

Wish I could say I came up with this approach - I read about it online some years back and it's worked for me.

I agree with the overall comments regarding the 47D vs. the ETM - the 47D, while a classic, seems to be in the process of being supplanted by the ETMs.

EDITED TO ADD: Are you certain these are 8-rounders? I'm wondering if these in fact might be 7s. I'm having Operator Error Issues posting pictures (ha) and would post up a pic of a 47 - both the 47s and the 47Ds have elongated "slits" down both sides of the mag tubes, and I think the 47Ds also have a small hole machined at either the top or bottom of the slits. Just a thought.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
EDITED TO ADD: Are you certain these are 8-rounders? I'm wondering if these in fact might be 7s. I'm having Operator Error Issues posting pictures (ha) and would post up a pic of a 47 - both the 47s and the 47Ds have elongated "slits" down both sides of the mag tubes, and I think the 47Ds also have a small hole machined at either the top or bottom of the slits. Just a thought.

I wondered the same even though the label on them at the FFL said eight.

Looking at the pictures on the Wilson WEB site, the eight rounders have a witness hole below the "windows". This mags are like that.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

Looking at the pictures on the Wilson WEB site, the eight rounders have a witness hole below the "windows". This mags are like that.

Same as mine. I easily load 8rds into the magazines so I doubt they're actually 7rd.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought the 47D 8rd mag was finicky with 8 rounds and best inserted with slide retracted. The 8 round ETM was their solution with a slight increase in mag body and bit more extension below the grip.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

Gotcha - indeed sounds like 8s. I’d suggest loading ‘em up and setting aside for a bit, then. I do hope they work for you!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
47d are suspect with 8 rounds, in my experience. ETM's run all day long with 8.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
47d are suspect with 8 rounds, in my experience. ETM's run all day long with 8.

As my recollection

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I agree, why buy eight round magazines and load them with seven. There are plenty of other options that allow for all eight rounds.

I had heard so much about the quality of the Wilson Combat magazines and then found these for sale, thought I had lucked out.

We'll see, I have had them loaded for a while. I'm going to wait for a couple of weeks and see.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Saw Wilson mags with Vickers Tactical features today. $55. Placard said it would insert and lock fully loaded. You'd think normal mags would do this!

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Placard said it would insert and lock fully loaded. You'd think normal mags would do this!

I agree!

On a related note, I’m getting to put some of my own medicine to use re: my recommendations from a few responses above. Recently made a 1911 purchase where the seller shipped a couple of extra mags to me separately - they were brand-new 47Ds haha. Made sure they were clean (they were, as expected), loaded them up (found round 8 to be stiff but doable) and set them aside - we’ll see how they do in a couple of weeks.