SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You’ve come a long way baby! (Laser sights)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You’ve come a long way baby! (Laser sights) Login/Join 
Picture of JSW
posted

I thought other forum members might get a kick out of this old ad. It’s from a 1978 police magazine. Looks like the laser weighs more than the gun! The revolver appears to be a Colt Trooper with a 6-Inch barrel, not a lightweight either. I assume that brick under the grip is some type of battery pack. How would you like to have this boat anchor hanging on your belt all day?

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Colt Officer Match looks like

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Much better now, but I think the concept has been largely obsoleted by red dot reflex sights.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I’ve never been seduced by the desire to have a laser on any gun (except once, when “curious” and “experimenting” Wink ), they do offer the advantage of being able to aim and shoot when it’s not possible to use one’s sights due to not being able to achieve a normal firing position.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
We have a pretty extensive collection of Janes blue books at work and they are full of these old advertisements. I really enjoy stepping back when I see them.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Found an old tube laser that mounted on a rifle. It was made in 1989.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice set of back up irons on the Colt, too. Very forward thinking.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Do you still have it?

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is amazing at the advancement in laser technology. Lasers used to be extremely expensive and have now become something almost everyone can afford, in all sorts of variants.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
It is amazing at the advancement in laser technology.

In the early 1960s I read a magazine article that ridiculed the idea that lasers would ever amount to anything other than toys good for popping balloons—and only blue ones at that. I’ve often wondered if the author lived long enough to realize how wrong he had been.

I’ve seen many other spectacularly wrong predictions about future technologies since, but that’s the one that really stuck with me.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve seen many other spectacularly wrong predictions about future technologies since, but that’s the one that really stuck with me.

I was in a place in time where I knew about the IPhone and was able to handle early prototype/pre release one before it was public knowledge. All I could think was this is neat but nobody is going to want to give up their real keyboard for this thing. This thing will never take off.

This is the reason I am not a captain of industry or frankly a corporal. Smile

I will say that I totally saw optics as being the next major game changer for shooting, although I still believe in know how to use and having back up irons.

Chris.......posting from his IPhone Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Do you still have it?

Yup. It is a Helium Neon laser with a touch pad made by Laser Devices in July of 1989. It is about the size of a P229 and uses two 9volt batteries.

Around '91 they made a laser that mounts to the trigger guard of a P220.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If you’re able to take dimensions of the metal tube housing, I would be very appreciative!

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Cool discussion and I love the pictures. I had totally forgotten or missed that Arnold had that big thing on a revolver.

As for the idea that red dots make lasers obsolete.... not so sure... I have both and in fact have both on my new pistol I keep in my work vehicle:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the pistol that Arnold used an AMT Longslide?

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phil in indy:
Wasn't the pistol that Arnold used an AMT Longslide?

Yessir! AMT Hardballer Longslide .45ACP.

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
If you’re able to take dimensions of the metal tube housing, I would be very appreciative!

This one is in a plastic housing. They were selling a longer version at the same time, but this version appears to be more compact by using internal mirrors(?). The anode and reflector section is about 4 inches long. The tube side of it is about 5 inches long. I haven't seen this version disassembled, so I don't know the specifics of the glass envelope or the bore tube.

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 1994 HK USP that came with this Tacstar laser. It still works.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Talk about a Blast from the past. During my first trip trip Gunsite in 1980, we were doing a night shoot. Apparently one of the LASER companies sent a couple LASER equipped guns to Col. Cooper for T&E. I recall the Colt MKIII Trooper with the long tube LASER and the big battery integrated into the bottom of the grip. There was also a Ruger Mini-14 with the same long tube LASER.

I never thought LASERs would be small and inexpensive enough to be practical on handguns. Of course, I never thought that new fangled plastic gun they called a Glock would amount to anything eitherWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post