SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P6 & Sig Custom Shop Experiences?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P6 & Sig Custom Shop Experiences? Login/Join 
Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted
I am very partial to the classic Sig P-series guns and am considering picking up a P6.

I have heard of some problems when it comes to feeding modern hollowpoint ammunition, and as that would be of great concern in a carry pistol, I was wondering what can be done to correct that shortcoming.

Like my other Sigs, it would go off the Sig's Custom Shop for the Action Enhancement Package, Short Reset Trigger, and the Sig Service Plan. Have any of you done this with a P6?

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3:
Swiss Montage Euro Mag Release
2 Commercial 225s of varying years.
I have been lucky. All mine feed hollow points fine. I use Gold Dots in mine. You may also need to try both 124 and 115 grain HPs to if the gun runs better with one or the other.
CoyoteKiller refinished the Swiss Montage for me in satin nickel.
And all have had the SSP.
If in doubt about hollow point compatibility, just look for a later commercial P225.
And be prepared: Magazines are expensive, when you can find them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. Smile

Yes to buying the P6 and doing all of the above. Mine was beautiful and ran flawlessly, after.

Do it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BKLYNIRISH
posted Hide Post
The issue of magazines cannot be forgotten, though. I need to give that some serious thought.

The P6 and P225 magazines are not the same, correct?

Posts: 62 | Registered: January 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P6 and P225 mags are the same. Not compatible with the newer P225-A1 though.

Sig P220 West German
Sig P224
Sig P225 West German
Sig P226 West German
Sig P226R .40 S&W (Sold)
Sig P228 West German
Sig P228R
Sig P229R .357 SIG (Sold)
Sig P230 West German
Sig P245
Sig P320C .45
Sig P6 (1981) (Sold)
Sig 1911 Carry TacOps

Posts: 79 | Location: Derry, NH | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Berg
posted Hide Post
Gun Parts Corp is selling P225/P6 mags for $40 shipped on ebay.

Posts: 785 | Location: near the 101 and 92 in Calif. | Registered: August 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a bunch at what I think is a decent price for factory in good condition.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/626673755

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Berg:
Gun Parts Corp is selling P225/P6 mags for $40 shipped on ebay.

Numrich?
$39.95
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/810950.htm

Used:
$29.95
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/810960.htm

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
My 1979 P6 fed, fired and ejected any hollow points that I tried in it.
If you have an issue with feeding hollowpoints,, try the Hornady Critical Defense ammo.
They have a much sharper ogive on the bullet and a smaller cavity.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magazines for $29.95? Thanks for the info! 2 ordered.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
There was a year that Sig changed the angle of the feed ramp on the P6. Can't remember when that was, but do recall a couple guys on here having the feed ramp changed to the angle of the p225 for like $50. I also believe all P225 have the the updated feed ramp angle. I'm talking original 225 not the New A1.

225 left P6 right
Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got2 P6's from 1980, and a 1979 P225 Montage Suisse, and have found that Federal 9BP, and Speer Gold Dots,both JHPs, feed fine. I also found Remington UMC hollow points are fine also.

Posts: 131 | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I bought a used P225 and sent it in for the action package and was extremely happy. The new night sights alone are worth it. It looked like a spankin new pistol, new springs, and all shiny clean.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post