SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Received My Olight PL-Mini Valkyrie!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Received My Olight PL-Mini Valkyrie! Login/Join 
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted
This is my first WML. I saw a good review of it last week on YouTube by Iraqveteran8888, then when I went to the Olight website to check it out, I noticed they were having a flash sale on the 28th, so when the sale went live, I ordered one (at 30% off!). I received it today (pretty fast). I bought the tan one for my 19X, and as it comes with the Glock rail insert already mounted, it was ready to go on the rail. Mounting is a snap. You can actually charge it while it’s mounted; pretty smart design. I gave it the initial charge as instructed — the magnetic charger is pretty cool. I’ve mounted it on my 19X and the color is a very good match. This tiny little light puts out 600 lumens! What? How can something so small be so bright? I’m looking forward to shooting with it on to make sure the mount stays tight. I really like it. Now I need to practice using it in dry practice in conjunction with a handheld light.

Anybody else have any experience with this model? (It’s new, but I don’t know how new.)

Here are a couple pics:

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it holds up. Looks cool.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice color match there.

I have the old one (Mini 1?) and have no real complaints. The locker stays clamped and seems to fit everything rifle and pistol I clamp it on. I've only needed to charge it once so far beyond the initial charge.

If I'm going cons, I'm skeptical of how a rechargable will hold up over time. I still run a super old 6p with a malkoff head as a back up rifle light and I've had it for what must be 10 years now. I think recharging is neat but a battery would give me a light that would last over time. I'd like the switch to work a bit differently but thats a minor gripe. Just a bit more springy TLR style but thats my whiny gripe about x300s as well.

I'll offset the above by saying I think its a great size, activates easily and the rechargable lasts a very long time. The upshot of the rechargable is I will likely save myself enough in batteries to just buy a new one (or two) when this one poops itself. It has a nice throw and works great for anything you can realistically ask a pistol light to do. While I dont love the switch its not terrible by any stretch.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It’s not that new. I’ve had two for a few months. I have it on my 19X and my 21. Over a thousand rounds on the 19X with no issues and only a few hundred suppressed on the 21. The 21 is my nightstand gun. Works great for in and around the house and will do okay if I have to venture outside real quick. Love the charger setup.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am curious how rechargeable batteries work these days. I’ve generally avoided them in devices that are not used all the time due to their self-discharge and being dead when I finally needed to use it. If I charged this unit up today and turned it on six months from now, would it function?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That tan looks good. I sold mine as its only 400 lumens for one minute then drops down to 60 I think. Their new version is brighter, but still only one minute.

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That's the PL-mini 2. They just announced that at the SHOT Show that just ended. It's 600 lumen.

They should now make a light in the form factor of the PL-mini 1 (slightly bigger) at 600 lumen, with a bigger battery.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
I've got the larger Valkyrie (3x), and the smaller version (rechargeables) in black that you have (2x). On Black Friday, Olight had a flash sale, I admittedly went a bit overboard, and also bought 2 of their full size rechargeable flashlights. One has a few thousand lumens (I'm obviously not a flashlight aficionado). That thing on "Turbo" can light up a surgical suite.

The Olights' function very well, through hundreds of rounds in both ARs & pistols. Nothing comes loose, no rattling, easy to turn on/off and to recharge(although you do have to learn how to activate for on/off vs momentary on). I'm used to Surefire lights on everything. But I like the quality (I guess that's candela?) of the Olight better than some of the Surefire lights I have. Its a "whiter" light compared to some of the older Surefire's (although the newer Surefires are also better quality)

I'm still a bit hesitant to switch my HD/bedside lights to Olight from Surefire, since I know I've never had any issue with any Surefire. Olights still need some time to prove they are as dependable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: drtenb330,

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Nice grab! I have it’s older brother on my G19x.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I am curious how rechargeable batteries work these days. I’ve generally avoided them in devices that are not used all the time due to their self-discharge and being dead when I finally needed to use it. If I charged this unit up today and turned it on six months from now, would it function?

Should still work without issue. What makes these great is the easy charging ability where you just snap a magnetic puck on it.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sg:
That tan looks good. I sold mine as its only 400 lumens for one minute then drops down to 60 I think. Their new version is brighter, but still only one minute.

Thats going to be most lights in this form factor. There's no heatsinking ability so they get hot quick and step down for thermal protection. All modern high powered LED lights do it and how well the light can discharge heat is the main component of how long you can get at max output.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by sg:

Thats going to be most lights in this form factor. There's no heatsinking ability so they get hot quick and step down for thermal protection. All modern high powered LED lights do it and how well the light can discharge heat is the main component of how long you can get at max output.

This spot on correct. Unless it's a regulated output it's just fancy number to wave in front of a prospective buyer.

SF is now starting to play this numbers game and you have to read real close to find out if it's regulated or not.

Under likley zero circumstances would I consider a non-regulated light for any kind of serious work. Just a gimmicky marketing trick otherwise.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
What does the "heatsinking" factor mean? If the light keeps going at max output it'll overheat and burn out? Batteries and the headlamp will melt?

I work with very bright and expensive lights overhead, and wear a light on my head, magnifying optics on my eyes, when doing delicate work. I'm aware they are made to avoid overheating, but really am not a lighting expert. I've never noticed any lights diming when at work (doing any medical procedure). Maybe it does change, and I've never noticed. I'd imagine medical and tactical lights have much in common, never asked for any explanation. Now I'm very interested in how it works.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post