SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which 9mm pistol will recoil the least? (make a guess)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 9mm pistol will recoil the least? (make a guess) Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Earlier today I performed a completely subjective, non-scientific recoil test of my readily available "service-sized" 9mms, loading 10 rounds in them all, placing them on a table pointing downrange in a locked range, and shooting them somewhat rapid-fire one right after the other to see if I could determine which recoiled the least. Ammo was Blazer Brass 115 grain ball.

Pistols were:
S&W M&P Core 9L
SIG P226 (german)
CZ75B Omega
Beretta PX4 Storm
Glock 19
FN Hi Power
Beretta 92FS Brigadier

Thought it might be interesting to get people's guesses about which pistol or pistols might recoil the least. I was surprised at the results, which I will post later. I shot a quick vid and will include it FWIW. I was surprised at 2 of the 3 "winners" and was surprised at a couple that had more recoil than is reputed.

Again, recoil is very subjective and this is of course just for fun, but there were definite standouts for me.

I don't really have a list of best to worst, but I did single out the three I thought had the least recoil, and one that definitely had the most. The others were all too close to accurately place.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I've always thought the Beretta 92 was one of the softest shooting 9mm's out there.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd guess CZ75b then probably the M&P Core 9, then the 226.

"Life is tough, Life is tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Posts: 85 | Location: GA | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
The Beretta. I've been shooting several on the list, my 92 is just so easy to shoot I'd say the CZ is darn close though.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92 would be my guess as well.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they ever make one, it would probably be a 9mm Desert eagle.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
I would say the pistols with the lowest bore axes: the Glock 19, CZ75B, and the Hi-Power.

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
My guess would be the PX4. It's one of my favorite range guns for that reason.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I will also guess the PX-4. Surprisingly soft shooting gun.

Second place (depending on if that CZ was a stainless or not) is probably the Beretta 92.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to guess PX4, CZ, then 92.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Storm then Core.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ 75 SP-01 tactical. That thing is a beast and it felt like I was shooting out of a brick.

"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper

Posts: 67 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: February 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well now ya got me curious. Don't leave us hangin too long. Wink

Posts: 143 | Registered: August 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
My guess would be the P226

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd guess CZ 75, then PX-4.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which 9mm pistol will recoil the least?

CZ75B Omega
SIG P226 (german)
Beretta 92FS Brigadier
FN Hi Power

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I am curious about your results but want to know exactly what you are talking about when you say recoil. Are you talking about muzzle rise or the push to the web of your hand? Did you measure the split times for shots on target? Not trying to start an argument just wanted to know. Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Recoil is very subjective and technique plays into this as well. I’ve shot all these never side by side by side.

That being said the CZ with its low bore axis and heavy weight should be about the least with the PX4 making a good showing. 92/M9s being huge, heavy and a wide grip are pussycats too.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Most of you got very close and some guessed 2 of my three least recoiling. As I said this is subjective and non scientific but my three winners were the two berettas and surprisingly the M&P. The CZ has been touted as having very low recoil but mine was clearly sharper than all the others. Which is weird. I may do another trial with just those four pistols. If I had to choose a winner with this ammo it would probably be the Brig. Big heavy slide seems to help.

Interesting that someone mentioned muzzle flip versus recoil. I tried to discuss that in the video. The Hi Power and P226 seemed to me to have the most front sight lift.

Someone else could likely shoot these same pistols and choose a different winner but it was fun anyway.

Video for any interested.
https://youtu.be/ZD13RLrkdtQ

https://youtu.be/ZD13RLrkdtQ

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
The CZ has been touted as having very low recoil but mine was clearly sharper than all the others.

Is the CZ steel frame, as opposed to Aluminum? I forget which of the 9mm's are all steel, including frame.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post