SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger LCR 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger LCR 9mm Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I keep thinking I want to add one of these to my selection.

I have a S&W Model 36, early 80s I think, but it's a safe queen.

I've been shifting to 9mm for carry.

I want a revolver in addition to my Kahr PM9 for backup/off duty. I think I want the Ruger LCR 9.

Opinions or experiences?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at one too until I read about some of the problems (posted here on SF) with the 9mm in revolvers. I will stick with my 642.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I was looking at one too until I read about some of the problems (posted here on SF) with the 9mm in revolvers. I will stick with my 642.

Do you recall the specifics?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Bullets walking forward under recoil, basically.

http://www.sigforum.com/eve/fo...0601935/m/8200062124

I'm still up for a 3" LCRx in 9mm if Ruger ever gets around to making them.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...I swear I searched "9mm revolvers" before I posted this.

Gotta love that search function Wink

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
I just bought an LCR-9 this past week but haven't had a chance to fire it. I have heard of the crimp jump; but I didn't know about not using alu cased rounds (mentioned in the linked thread). Someone mentioned 9mm Federal - I am in the process of trying to recreate some 9mm Fed using .38S&W brass. .38S&W (not .38 Spec) brass is .005 too small for a 9mm chamber - and too long. So, I'm going to trim the .38SW brass and load it in 9mm dies with very mild loads. Hopefully I will have all of my fingers and thumbs aftewards!!

I know the .38S&W cases will fit since I tried some .38 Short Colt and the rounds fit - but are like .012 too small at the base. I was concerned that the rims of the .38S&W were too big - but they're the same diameter as .38SC (and Special) and fit seemingly perfectly.

Back to the revolver itself, I am very impressed. It doesn't have the fine-finishing that the S&W's have - but it is a very solid steel-framed revolver. The DAO trigger pull also surprised me - better than my S&W 442 ...

Posts: 424 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post