SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought G17 G5 today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought G17 G5 today Login/Join 
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
I'm corrupted by finger groves and now cant shoot anything without them :-)

The solution:

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/handall

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is the Gen5 connector the same as the Gen3/4?

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up the gen 5 this week , I think they did a great job on the gen 5 guns . Glock will be in the L/E game for a long time . I only got about 100 rounds so far but it worked with no problems .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toto:

No

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

No

Not to be argumentative but I put one of my "-" connectors in my gen 5 19 and it works great. Should I not have done that?

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
quote:
quote:

No

Not to be argumentative but I put one of my "-" connectors in my gen 5 19 and it works great. Should I not have done that?

You have to ask Glock. Our rep told us that they aren't the same. The physical connector in our guns have a "dot" on them and looks similar, just like the dot connector on previous guns. But they say that they aren't the same due to the redesign of the fire control and trigger bar.

What it may come down to is a similar thing to the differences between the Gen3 trigger bar, and the Gen4. They never recommended or allowed using a Gen3 bar in a Gen4, but many people did it and got better trigger pulls because of it.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
quote:
quote:

No

You have to ask Glock. Our rep told us that they aren't the same. The physical connector in our guns have a "dot" on them and looks similar, just like the dot connector on previous guns. But they say that they aren't the same due to the redesign of the fire control and trigger bar.

What it may come down to is a similar thing to the differences between the Gen3 trigger bar, and the Gen4. They never recommended or allowed using a Gen3 bar in a Gen4, but many people did it and got better trigger pulls because of it.

That makes sense. Thank you. I went and put 200 rounds down range and all was well. Very happy with my gen 5.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I was going to wait awhile, but I came across a Gen 5 G19 at a great Labor Day discount at a local gun store so I jumped on it. I talked a little with the smith there and he did say the current batch of connectors are not recommended for the Gen 5. I've not shot this one I picked up, but dry firing, it is the best out of the box Glock trigger I've come across. A tad under 5 lbs, clean crisp with a fairly smooth take up. I'll do a .25 job on it and since it has a smooth faced trigger it will probably be good to go.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that stupid flared magwell sucks let alone the opening on the front of the grip.

I wonder who ever rips a mag out from the front of a pistol. seems like a stupid idea

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Here's what the connector and fire control looks like now.

One of my partners in crime and I have ran about 2200 rounds through a 17 and a 19 since mid day Thursday. I have to say I am impressed. The cutout on the 19 doesn't bother me a bit. A Gen4 grip plug works and completes the magwell. I shot my Gen4 19 and the Gen5 head to head in time drills and there is a noticeable difference in recoil impulse. This is also where I have to admit I have never been a fan of the 19. It is a good gun out to about 15 yards and then the gun slows way down for me. The Gen5 has been allowing really fast fire out past 25 yards. IE- One of the standardized drills at 25 yards we were shooting was draw from concealment and put two on on target, transition and put two on a second. We were shooting at QIT targets. I was shooting at a pace that usually was 3.8 to 4.0 (average) and keeping all rounds in the 8 inch circle.

We also shot both guns out to 50 yards.

Color me impressed.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:

One of my partners in crime and I have ran about 2200 rounds through a 17 and a 19 since mid day Thursday. I have to say I am impressed. The cutout on the 19 doesn't bother me a bit. A Gen4 grip plug works and completes the magwell. I shot my Gen4 19 and the Gen5 head to head in time drills and there is a noticeable difference in recoil impulse. This is also where I have to admit I have never been a fan of the 19. It is a good gun out to about 15 yards and then the gun slows way down for me. The Gen5 has been allowing really fast fire out past 25 yards. IE- One of the standardized drills at 25 yards we were shooting was draw from concealment and put two on on target, transition and put two on a second. We were shooting at QIT targets. I was shooting at a pace that usually was 3.8 to 4.0 (average) and keeping all rounds in the 8 inch circle.

We also shot both guns out to 50 yards.

Color me impressed.

How would you compare the gen 5 17 to the M&P 2.0?

Posts: 185 | Registered: July 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I like the 2.0 a little better. The big problem that I had with the 2.0 is at about 8k rounds, the accuracy went to pot. I was so hopeful over the gun. But, my group size doubled after about 8,000 rounds. We're sorta in the same boat now as we were with the 1.0. Buy the gun, fill it with Apex. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm hopeful that the Gen5 doesn't present similar fleas as time goes on. The gun really shines right now for two groups in particular. LE that aren't permitted to modify their guns by policy, and the guys on the 'net that obsess with the idea that if you change out a hammer spring on your pistol, and then you shoot someone with it, an alarm goes off at the police station and all of a sudden a justifiable shoot is a bad shoot, just because you installed a 17 pound hammer spring instead of a 19 pound. The police then comes and arrests you, takes your kids to be sold into bondage, shoots your dog, etc.

The Gen5 Glock needs nothing other than bullets. (Well, we did put a grip plug in the 19 to even up the back of the magwell). Aside from that, I think that it is street and IDPA ready.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Sweet. Thanks jljones.

What did you (or anyone else for that matter) notice in terms of accuracy between the Gen 5 17 vs 19? The usual? I ask because it sounds like you're saying the new 19 gives you a bit more practical reach, so I'm curious if the 17 is equivalently improved...

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the 2.0 a little better. The big problem that I had with the 2.0 is at about 8k rounds, the accuracy went to pot. I was so hopeful over the gun. But, my group size doubled after about 8,000 rounds. We're sorta in the same boat now as we were with the 1.0. Buy the gun, fill it with Apex. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm hopeful that the Gen5 doesn't present similar fleas as time goes on. The gun really shines right now for two groups in particular. LE that aren't permitted to modify their guns by policy, and the guys on the 'net that obsess with the idea that if you change out a hammer spring on your pistol, and then you shoot someone with it, an alarm goes off at the police station and all of a sudden a justifiable shoot is a bad shoot, just because you installed a 17 pound hammer spring instead of a 19 pound. The police then comes and arrests you, takes your kids to be sold into bondage, shoots your dog, etc.

The Gen5 Glock needs nothing other than bullets. (Well, we did put a grip plug in the 19 to even up the back of the magwell). Aside from that, I think that it is street and IDPA ready.

Thank you for the insights. Is the issue you're seeing with the 2.0 barrel known? A quick google search didn't bring up anything for me.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of doing tons of mods other than maybe sights and little bit here or there - more for monetary reasons than anything else. Sounds like I would be better suited with the Gen 5.

Posts: 185 | Registered: July 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I stopped by my local gun store to order an M&P Pro series C.O.R.E. in 9mm last Thursday. While I was there I checked out a G19 Gen 5. No finger grooves, no bump on the trigger bar, mag well cut out, and no aftermarket connectors, yet. At least that is what I was told. It looked good though! Not enough of a difference though to get rid of my G19 Gen 4,

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I was at my local range today shooting and saw that they had a new G19 G5. They let me compare it to a G4 and my G19 gen 3 that I have put a Glock OEM 3.5# minus connector on. If I were to rate the triggers, I would place the G5 first, then my G3 and then the G4. The grip was nice but not a game changer. If I had a G3, I would put a Glock OEM minus 3.5# and save the $$$. If I were in the market, I would skip the G4.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post