SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought G17 G5 today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought G17 G5 today Login/Join 
posted
LGS had their reveal fest today. I think they had a total of ~20 GEN 5 G19/G17’s for sale. I walked out with a G17 Gen 5. Paid $599.99 before tax. The G17 was on my list of someday pistols and I guess someday was today.

Likes: the slightly flared mag-well and cutout at the base of mag-well if you need to pull a mag out, the slight magazine changes, the trigger seemed better out of the box than my previous Gen 4 G19’s and G34’s, the finish seemed slightly better. I’m not sure yet where I am on the lack of finger groves. I was shooting left more than normal with this pistol right out of the box (probably user error).

Dislikes: the standard plastic sights but nothing new there (to be replaced) and I’m not a fan of the ambidextrous slide stop-seems like if may interfere with some kydex holsters.

I’m curious if a Gen 4 Glock 34 slide would work on the Gen 5 G17 frame. Probably not but thought I’d ask and not entirely sure why I’m asking other than curious.

In any case, I'm happy with the purchase.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
LGS had their reveal fest today. I think they had a total of ~20 GEN 5 G19/G17’s for sale. I walked out with a G17 Gen 5. Paid $599.99 before tax. The G17 was on my list of someday pistols and I guess someday was today.

Likes: the slightly flared mag-well and cutout at the base of mag-well if you need to pull a mag out, the slight magazine changes, the trigger seemed better out of the box than my previous Gen 4 G19’s and G34’s, the finish seemed slightly better. I’m not sure yet where I am on the lack of finger groves. I was shooting left more than normal with this pistol right out of the box (probably user error).

Dislikes: the standard plastic sights but nothing new there (to be replaced) and I’m not a fan of the ambidextrous slide stop-seems like if may interfere with some kydex holsters.

I’m curious if a Gen 4 Glock 34 slide would work on the Gen 5 G17 frame. Probably not but thought I’d ask and not entirely sure why I’m asking other than curious.

In any case, I'm happy with the purchase.

Nice. I'm jealous. I took my newly purchased Gen4 G19 MOS out to the range today and remembered why I liked glocks. I managed to shoot that badboy better than my current EDC CZ PCR

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, a Gen 4 slide won't work on a Gen 5 frame.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I like my gen2 with no finger grooves and the cutout dosent bother me. I was at the LGS today dropping off a gun on consignment and they said they should have some in about a month. So I may have to check out the 17. I always wished I could add a light to my gen2.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Pics and a range report or it didn't happen.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this will impact the pricing on the Gen 2s, since the frame on these is quite similar; no finger grooves, cutout on the front, with the addition of the double RSA, rail, and flared magwell.

The Gen 5 covers just about everything I wanted to get a Gen 2 for, with some improvements along the way.

Will be interesting to see how it affects Gen 2s. I know there should be some cheaper Gen 4s floating around relatively soon. : )

Posts: 567 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking the Gen2 shouldn't fluctuate in price much. Just about everyone who wanted one has it and customized to their liking. The last tome they sold a Glock without finger grooves was 20 years ago, but the Gen2 looks better without the rail.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the new mags. I would like to see one in an old gun just to see the extended lip vice the old style. Orange is smart.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:
I wonder if this will impact the pricing on the Gen 2s, since the frame on these is quite similar; no finger grooves, cutout on the front, with the addition of the double RSA, rail, and flared magwell.

The Gen 5 covers just about everything I wanted to get a Gen 2 for, with some improvements along the way.

Will be interesting to see how it affects Gen 2s. I know there should be some cheaper Gen 4s floating around relatively soon. : )

I don't think there will be any change on Gen 2 values. Gen 2 has no rail and steel bar stock extractor. Already reading bout those complaining about the cutout on the magwell of the Gen 5 too LOL. I love my Gen 2 but may end up getting a Gen 5 too as it has the extra back straps and I have fairly large hands.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
...the slight magazine changes...

I haven't heard about this. What's different, and are they interchangeable with the older ones, like the Gen 4 mags are?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, they're interchangeable.

The main difference is the floorplate has a slightly elongated front lip. They also colored the follower orange.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's good.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No, a Gen 4 slide won't work on a Gen 5 frame.

I was about to buy another G4 G19, but was waiting to hear about the G5. I like things that share parts, so thanks for posting this. They will take the same mags, but it doesn't seem like they will share much else.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P6shooter
posted Hide Post
The Gen5 trigger is new. How does it feel?

Posts: 820 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better than the GEN 4 triggers out of the box. For example, the usual grittiness is gone. Feels a little smoother as well. A good improvement. It stated on the box that's it's a 5.5 lbs trigger.

I used my G34 Gen 4 mags in it (placed 115gr loads in it) and put 147gr in the Gen 5 mags. No issues, no BTF, no drama.

As I noted above, I was shooting it farther to the left than I should have been but that must be user error or some combo of no grips on my new Gen 5 G17 vs my Gen 4 G34 and the need to get used it. Otherwise, I remain a poor shooter with the Plastic factory sights, which will be changed soon.

Finally, I shot it stock literally walking from the sales counter to the indoor range. No cleaning or oiling or anything. It was well lubed and ready from the factory to shoot IMHO. I shot about 200 rounds right after I bought it.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Congrats 2PAK. Cool

I went to the range today to shoot some of my pistols and they had the Gen 5 Glocks for rent. I wanted to rent the G19 but it was in the range so I tried the G17 and they put the large backs strap on it for my larger hands. I loved it! Never shot a G17 before and what a soft shooter. I shot 30 rounds through it at 7 yards and the targets are 3 inch dots shooting about a round every 1-2 seconds.

Glock is going to sell a lot of these Gen 5 pistols.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! How is the stock trigger? Cause Glock seems to be slipping on triggers with the Gen 4's.

Posts: 76 | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I maybe purchasing one in the future. Did you by chance test it with older magazines by chance? And if so were there any reliability issues or problems since I believe they changed the magazines and gave the grip a flared magwell?

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
LOL,if anything my left bias was gone when I shot the Gen 5!

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm corrupted by finger groves and now cant shoot anything without them :-)