SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    G45/G19 MOS with SRO holster compatibility
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

G45/G19 MOS with SRO holster compatibility Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I'm picking up a Glock 45 with mounted Trijicon SRO this weekend, and I'm looking for an OWB kydex holster to accomodate it.

This is going to be a competition/range/fun gun, so a simple Kydex pancake OWB with 10-15 degree forward cant is what I'm after, similar to this:

I'm finding a lot of holsters for the G45/G19 with RMR and similar red dots, but so far these are either mute on SRO compatibility, or are specifically stated as not SRO compatible due to the SRO's larger size and more forward projection:

I could reach out to various holster makers to inquire, or order something completely custom, but I'm hoping someone here has a G19 or G45 with SRO and can verify some compatible OWB kydex holsters.

Thanks!

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Wish I had a better answer for you, but I carry either an RMR or Acro on my guns, and looking at my holsters it’s hard to say if they would struggle with the SRO or not

The one that looks like it would be fine is the raven concealment Perun which is their newish one style fits most/non-custom holster. It just might be longer than you want.

That was a good deal you snagged in the Classifieds. When I saw it I was kicking myself for not getting on the forum sooner

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raven Perun would be on my list. Not 100% sure on compatibility but it's a good, low cost option that is fairly high quality.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned them recently, but I'm betting that a Muddy River Tactical OWB Kydex with an optics cut would work. You'll also get it fast. You can call Kevin and discuss it with him.

I recently got an IWB for a Gen5 Model 19 wearing a Trijicon RMR, and the optics cut looks like it would easily accommodate an SRO.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Raven Perun would be on my list. Not 100% sure on compatibility but it's a good, low cost option that is fairly high quality.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
The one that looks like it would be fine is the raven concealment Perun which is their newish one style fits most/non-custom holster. It just might be longer than you want.

I figured the Perun would work, just from eyeballing it. But I use almost exclusively 1.75" belts. I'm baffled as to why, 4 years after introduction, Raven still doesn't offer a 1.75" belt loop option for the Perun!

Man, Raven has really fallen far from their peak as the top custom kydex manufacturer in the world... I love their older Phantom holsters, and hoard the ones I already have. (Plus they offered 1.75" belt options for those. Wink) But they decided mass-produced cookie cutter injection molded holsters for a few guns and only some belts was the better way to make a quick profit.

I suspect in another few decades, Raven will be the Uncle Mikes or Desantis of the time. A shell of their former selves, coasting off the fumes of their former good name, selling cheap holsters off gun store shelves to those who don't know any better.

(Shut up. I'm not bitter... you're bitter.)

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Dara Holsters lists the SRO as one of the options in the drop-down menu for their Optic Cut OWB holsters. The design is a bit different than a regular pancake, but it may work for you.

https://www.daraholsters.com/kydex-owb-rmr-holster/

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect in another few decades, Raven will be the Uncle Mikes or Desantis of the time. A shell of their former selves, coasting off the fumes of their former good name, selling cheap holsters off gun store shelves to those who don't know any better.

I think there's a few of the early Big Names in Kydex Holsters that have followed the same path.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be fair I haven't had any issues stuffing G45's with an SRO in holsters I normally use for an RMR. my primary ones are older bladetech and red hill tactical. But what's the worst you could have? to remove a bit of kydex. I find I have to do that all the time even with stuff designed for an RMR. The wonderful thing about kydex is the ease of modifying it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
The footprint is the same as the RMR, but just a larger hood if I'm correct.

All of my RMR compatible G-Code holsters have the RMR cut down to/past the breech face. I don't imagine that the SRO would be too big to fit.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I figured the Perun would work, just from eyeballing it. But I use almost exclusively 1.75" belts. I'm baffled as to why, 4 years after introduction, Raven still doesn't offer a 1.75" belt loop option for the Perun!

Man, Raven has really fallen far from their peak as the top custom kydex manufacturer in the world... I love their older Phantom holsters, and hoard the ones I already have. (Plus they offered 1.75" belt options for those. Wink) But they decided mass-produced cookie cutter injection molded holsters for a few guns and only some belts was the better way to make a quick profit.

(Shut up. I'm not bitter... you're bitter.)

Yeah the 1.75" belt throws a wrench into it. I think that Raven and Bravo Concealment are both in that boat - pioneers at one time that primarily sold holsters to guys with a clue that were sick of leather or didn't want Fobus, now knocked off so many times over that it isn't worth competing anymore. Both still make decent stuff but it's so mainstream is hard to see them innovating much.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
The footprint is the same as the RMR, but just a larger hood if I'm correct.

All of my RMR compatible G-Code holsters have the RMR cut down to/past the breech face. I don't imagine that the SRO would be too big to fit.

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
To be fair I haven't had any issues stuffing G45's with an SRO in holsters I normally use for an RMR.

Good to know. What prompted this is that there are some holster makers who specify that their holsters cut for a RMR will not fit a SRO.

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
But what's the worst you could have? to remove a bit of kydex.

That was Plan B... Get something on the cheaper end of the kydex holster spectrum and just go at it with a Dremel until the SRO fits.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I ended up taking a Dremel to one of my existing G19 kydex OWBs, and was able to make it fit with ~20 minutes of grinding and test-fitting. But I did end up having to remove about a half-inch off the front edge of the holster, along with one of the belt loop adjustment holes, and slightly cut back either side of the holster where it comes up over the back half of the slide.

The SRO extends noticeably further towards the breechface than the RMR. And in addition, while the mounting footprint is the same as far as screw holes, the SRO is fatter at the front half than the RMR, so the overall footprint isn't the same... That's the trade-off for the larger field of view.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
While I had the Dremel out, I went ahead and modified an old Comp-Tac CTAC as well, just in case I decide I want to carry it in the future.

(But I'll have to play around with the belt attachment geometry to get it to ride higher, since I don't think having the optic behind/below the waist of my pants is a good idea.)

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Looks good! I have resorted to the dremel solution several times. You definitely appear to be better with it than I am Smile

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Just take your time, keep the Dremel's sanding drum at a low/moderate speed, and finish up with a fine grit sanding sponge by hand to smooth the edges.