SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    $3500 1911 or M&P Compact 2.0 + goodies?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$3500 1911 or M&P Compact 2.0 + goodies? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Buy the best 1911 that your budget allows.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It depends.

Do you REALLY want that 1911? Have you shot 1911s by that maker? Are you going to be happy either (1) using that $3K pistol or (2) having a $3K safe queen?

Personally I'll never spend that much on a pistol. Rifle? Sure, but $3.5K would only get me halfway to a properly kitted out SR25. Heck my SCAR 17 as is cost $6K if not a bit more when you consider weapon, mods, optics, magazines, etc, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
M&P + training. You'll shoot that better after training than you shoot the high buck 1911 without the training.

Also, I bet you could get the M&P + a decent AR + ammo + training for that money.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I have a 1918 made 1911, it was then refurbished in 1943. I got a M&P 2.0 Compact this last winter and love it. Get that!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It depends.

Heck my SCAR 17 as is cost $6K if not a bit more when you consider weapon, mods, optics, magazines, etc, etc.

Sweet Christmas stop reminding me how much I "paid" for my SCAR 17 all told. But I wouldn't give it up for an equal amount.

Go where your joy is. Remember, Gollum died happy and lived well (as far as he was concerned) for a long time with his "Precious". Follow your bliss.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
Buy a Dan Wesson 1911 and an m@p.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I confess. I am more likely to buy firearms that aren't exactly mainstream. While I don't have an AR-15, AK47, 9mm Glock, or a .45 1911, I have put up a wad of cash for a pistol and then realize it has tripled in value over a few years. This one hasn't been shot outside of the factory, so I can't BS about you keeping it unfired.

As crazy as this sounds, I would consider a full custom 2011 that has been preowned for just a bit less to allow for the usual extra stuff you'll buy anyway.

If you really want a full custom 1911, put the thousand or so as a down payment and keep saving until it is ready. Sometimes it runs about 15 months to be built, so you can save even more. If a real custom gun is what you are after and have no problems running tens of thousands of rounds through it every year, I'd take this route. If the purpose of the overall purchase is an heirloom for your sons or daughters, They will appreciate it, and then shoot it like mad. Only save it for yourself.

If you think you would be more likely to put the 1911 in a velvet lined oak case and take it out every now and then just to admire, it wouldn't do you as much good as if you looked into an (X-Five, P210, vintage Luger, etc...) for a grand less and feel more comfortable busting bowling pins until dark.

The M&P Compact is calling your name also. It may be calling you for a reason. One of my favorite guns to take to the range is an old Gen2 Glock that looks like it has been through everything plus the other side of Wednesday. Swapped a bunch of parts and did the custom work myself. Added accessories as they caught my attention.

If the 'once in a lifetime' is the primary objective, would it bother you to go to the range and have someone else have a similar 1911 as yours? Consider having a pistol imported.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Wow! If you're going to spend $3500 get a SIG P210.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m assuming if you saved 3500 for a 1911 it’s something you REALLY want because that’s not just a spontaneous purchase for most people. I agree with what others have said and buy the gun you’ve had your eyes on for months/Years while you saved and don’t look back.

I also agree that I can’t imagine spending $3500 on a 1911, but to each their own and I’m sure you’ve done your homework and decided that’s the one, so go for it!

I’m sure if you’ve saved $3500 for a gun you can save $300-500 for a polymer gun in the future...

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbacker_99:
Buy the best 1911 that your budget allows.

I am in this school.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E_Rock81
posted Hide Post
Gentleman thank you for the feedback. So many valid points. The funds saved wasn’t always for a dream 1911, but it’s definitely one of those things I wanted for a while. I must admit that the platform I’ve chosen isn’t the Swiss Army knife of pistols, and with today’s choices of polymer guns, a part of me feels like the job can be accomplished for a lot less.

I’ve spec’ed out a WC CQB Compact 9mm and it comes in at a hair under $3500. I’ve owned similarly priced Wilsons and Nighthawks in the past but they were govt sized 45s. And the most I would do is shoot them once in a while. I would admire them more for their workmanship than anything else. I feel like this time it would be different, but a part is saying it would be the same, that I’m not going to shoot the snot out of it, and it’s going to be a safe Queen. I think I’m leaning definitely towards M&P and several cases of ammo/training.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered a SVI (1911 single stack) made exactly the way I wanted it with a few embellishments they suggested, waited about a year for it and have never regretted it.

It's a great pistol and has (I think) permanently ended that custom pistol itch.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I paid almost that much for a Wilson Combat with absolutely no regrets, it is perhaps my favorite gun to shoot.

If you can spare the bucks, why not?

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by E_Rock81

... I think I’m leaning definitely towards M&P and several cases of ammo/training.

Oh ya'. Back to your original question; M&P 2.0, APEX, lots of ammo, OpSpec training, etc.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man of few words
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by E_Rock81:
I must admit that the platform I’ve chosen isn’t the Swiss Army knife of pistols, and with today’s choices of polymer guns, a part of me feels like the job can be accomplished for a lot less.

...I think I’m leaning definitely towards M&P and several cases of ammo/training.

As a former owner of a Baer TRS, 2 Springfield Pros, and a custom Delta Elite built by Bruce Gray, I think you're making the right choice.

1911's are fun to shoot, but to get them to where I want them just isn't worth it to me anymore. My go to pistols are now 9mm Glocks and I don't feel the least bit handicapped by that decision. When I think about the fact that I can get FOUR blue label Glocks for the cost of the LOWEST priced 1911 that I owned, I feel even better about it.

Posts: 1009 | Location: Georgia | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'd just point out that your choice does not have to be poly-striker vs super high end 1911. You could get a major brand factory 1911 (think S&W, SIG, Ruger, Springfield, etc.), for around $1,000, ans till have $2,500 left over for other stuff.

You probably knew this already, but I wanted to throw it out there as an option.

quote:
Originally posted by E_Rock81:
Gentleman thank you for the feedback. So many valid points. The funds saved wasn’t always for a dream 1911, but it’s definitely one of those things I wanted for a while. I must admit that the platform I’ve chosen isn’t the Swiss Army knife of pistols, and with today’s choices of polymer guns, a part of me feels like the job can be accomplished for a lot less.

I’ve spec’ed out a WC CQB Compact 9mm and it comes in at a hair under $3500. I’ve owned similarly priced Wilsons and Nighthawks in the past but they were govt sized 45s. And the most I would do is shoot them once in a while. I would admire them more for their workmanship than anything else. I feel like this time it would be different, but a part is saying it would be the same, that I’m not going to shoot the snot out of it, and it’s going to be a safe Queen. I think I’m leaning definitely towards M&P and several cases of ammo/training.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I’ve found when buying expensive guns is that I become reluctant to shoot them. Don’t get me wrong, I like to buy collectible guns way more than the latest polymer pistol but I buy those to shoot and if I’m dropping $3,500 on a gun it’s usuall because it has some collectible value.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your objective?

If your shooting skills are below where you would like them to be, buy a Glock or an M&P and spend the remaining 3k on classes and ammo.

If you are happy with your shooting performance and want a 1911, buy the 1911. But realize that you will likely not carry it nearly as often as a polymer 9mm.

Personally, i have a full custom 1911 that sits in a safe, and i train with and carry a Glock.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is too short to only shoot plastic guns.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess it depends on what you already have and intended uses. If I already have beater duty polymer and this is an extra gun go for the 1911. It on the other hand you need a defensive gun and training etc, go M&P. I suspect most
Of us here like myself have several layers of suitable defensive ccw pistols in our wares and getting something nice for your self makes a lot
More sense

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post