SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    $3500 1911 or M&P Compact 2.0 + goodies?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$3500 1911 or M&P Compact 2.0 + goodies? Login/Join 
Picture of musc
posted Hide Post
Get them all. That would better fit the motto of 'only live once'

Posts: 93 | Location: SC | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in the scratch that itch category. Especially if it's going to be your only "really nice" gun or 1911. While I agree the training will step up your abilities, you'll still have the 1911 and the appreciation / satisfaction afterwards. My mind wouldn't let me stop looking at 1911's until I got my one and only "really nice" gun. You can always grab the plastic and training afterwards.

Posts: 406 | Location: NW FL | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I used to be in the $3500 1911 camp, but I find myself never shooting them, and instead taking out the "cheap guns". Mostly because those cheaper ones are the ones I carry and therefore when I go to the range, I want to practice with my carry pieces. The expensive 1911's are awesome, but now they sit in the safe. Limited time to go to the range = train with the tools I will use most often.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1911 as it’s a lot harder to save the $3500, than to spend $50-300 here and there on ammo, range sessions, some training, etc. as time goes on you can afford a range visit here and there etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Get the 1911. You will have an elegant weapon that will put a smile on your face just by holding it and you have worked hard to obtain it. If you wanted it bad enough to save up that much money, then you will be sorry about 2 minutes after you walk out of the gun store with your plastic gun and ammo. You will have had your chance to buy your dream gun and blown it on something common.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by E_Rock81:
I’ve spec’ed out a WC CQB Compact 9mm and it comes in at a hair under $3500. I’ve owned similarly priced Wilsons and Nighthawks in the past but they were govt sized 45s. And the most I would do is shoot them once in a while. I would admire them more for their workmanship than anything else. I feel like this time it would be different, but a part is saying it would be the same, that I’m not going to shoot the snot out of it, and it’s going to be a safe Queen. I think I’m leaning definitely towards M&P and several cases of ammo/training.

So it's been a while;
What was your outcome?
How do you feel about your decision?

Posts: 236 | Location: SDF | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed Brown Kobra 5" and a M+P to go with it......ammo is easy enough to pick up along the way....so is training, get the big expenditures out of the way first.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the 1911. You saved for it, it's obviously a special gun in some way, you can ALWAYS get an M&P. I love M&Ps, but treat yourself and get the grail gun.

But for that much, I would get a Staccato XC :P

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a Dan Wesson Valor, Springfield TRP, S&W 1911Sc. Bought an Ed Brown Special forces and sold the Valor and TRP. All things considered, I should have stopped at the Valor and bought another in 9mm.
I don't really know that much about all the custom options available or which I would prefer. But health issues are affecting my inventory

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Considering what's been going on this year, I hope OP made the right decision back then. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Grail gun every time. As you said it yourself, you only live once.

Different screen name, but still the same answer. But I'm curious as well; what did the OP decide?

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Go with the 1911, and enjoy!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely the 1911.
I've been moving some guns over the years to acquire several high end guns here and there and they are absolutely worth it (IMO).
Dan

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E_Rock81
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Considering what's been going on this year, I hope OP made the right decision back then. Big Grin

I went with both. I no longer have either, but I do miss the heck out of the 1911. I kinda compromised in that I went with a 4 inch 1911 model thinking I would pull double duty with it and carry it, which I never did. The M&P did not live up to my expectations either and I sold that one too. However, with the money I got from selling the 1911, I did stock up on ammo. And yes, given what’s going on now, I’m glad I did.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I broke down yesterday and put a Wilson X9 on layaway. Last time I was in town, the same shop had the short, standard, and long versions of the X9, all used, all in perfect order, looked like they'd never been out of the box, all at low prices, and I didn't get them. I should have, but didn't. Of course, by the time I got back, they were gone. Someone got a hell of a bargain.

So, like an idiot, I'm paying full price. I just have to figure out a way that the wife won't know...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Every so often, an asteroid passes in relatively close proximity to the earth. One day, we may not be so lucky and said asteroid won't disintegrate in our atmosphere.

On that day, you will be able to tell yourself "At least I had a chance to enjoy a truly remarkable custom built 1911." before the asteroid decimates your continent and the associated shockwave wipes your city off the map.

The survivors (if there are any) will all be carrying Mark 23s and SCARs. Everything else will be long since gone.

Therefore, I recommend the custom 1911. Enjoy it while you can. Wink

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it gets that close, I'm pretty sure that Wilson will make a set of grips out of it and sell it for ten grand.

I saw a Wilson pistol for sale in Hot Springs, Arkansas a few years ago, for ten grand. The grips were made from wood from cherry, from a tree on George Washington's property. Expensive wood, came with a letter and everything. Ten grand.

I wonder how much asteroid grips would cost.

My wife claimed my M&P 2.0 just now...I don't feel so bad about ordering the EDC X9.

posted Hide Post
Check out Cabot. I am pretty sure they make grips and even a whole gun from an asteroid...

"No more 'I have to go to the bathroom'. There is no bathroom!!"

Posts: 216 | Location: SC | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigBauer:
Check out Cabot. I am pretty sure they make grips and even a whole gun from an asteroid...

I'll be dipped.

By golly, you're right.

https://cabotguns.com/oak-coll...big-bang-pistol-set/

Meteorite 1911's. Who'da thunk?

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I paid almost that much for a Wilson Combat with absolutely no regrets, it is perhaps my favorite gun to shoot.

If you can spare the bucks, why not?

I'm in the camp that says go for it. I too went with a Wilson, I spec'd my grail pistol out. A Classic Supergrade with semi polished Turbull charcoal blue slide, custom engraved slide lettering, 2-tone, top/rear serrations, flush cut and crowned barrel, recessed slide sop notch and starburst cocobolo grips, and adj rear sights and a gold bead up front. Came in a hair under 5k, but worth it as it was my grail gun and I previously sold off all my pistols when the 1911 bug bit me. It's a magnificent 1911 and I've never a regret. I say go for it!

I still have my p228 though, thats a given. Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post